Thread: New Invention vs Trial Frame

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

New Invention vs Trial Frame

As some of you know I have been working on an invention that generates (via decentration) a prism Rx for diplopic patients.

The patient can operate the Vert dial to make a horizontal line fuse in 4 or 5 seconds and, likewise, can operate the Horiz dial to make a vertical line fuse in 4 or 5 seconds. The Refractionist can read the mm indications on the dials and, using the instructions on the invention, determine the base orientation and write the Rx for prism diopters by decentration in about 20 seconds per eye. So, in about 1 minute (if you were in a big hurry) you could generate a very accurate Rx.

As you probably know, any invention must have a substantial advantage over the competition, to have any market value.

I assume that the closest competition will be the trial frame pictured below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrialFrame_Illustration.PNG 
Views:	89 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	8113

What I am wondering is if any of you have used the pictured trial frame to find an Rx for a diplopic patient?
    And, if so, about how long does it take for the patient to dial in the correct Rx?

Thanks for any comments.

Occupation
    How are you going to induce prism "via decentration" when they no effective power in the horizontal or vertical meridian?

PS, 2 minutes to align vertical and horizontal with no language, communication or iq barrier to overcome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

New Invention vs Trial Frame

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    How are you going to induce prism "via decentration" when they no effective power in the horizontal or vertical meridian?

PS, 2 minutes to align vertical and horizontal with no language, communication or iq barrier to overcome.
    The apparatus uses + or - Sph lenses (of appropriate diopter strength) with the natural centers aligned with the visual axis. When the Vertical Dial is operated the pair of lenses move vertically in opposite directions until the Horiz lines of a simple target cross fuse - likewise for the Horizontal Dial. Information on the apparatus tells the user the millimeters of decentration and the Base orientation for the OD and OS.

For the sake of the example (question) I am assuming working with a normal functioning person who can carry out simple commands.

Thanks for your reply.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's say you have an Rx like -.50 + 1.00 x 45. Tell me how you induce prism via decentration either horizontally or vertically?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

New Invention vs Trial Frames

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Let's say you have an Rx like -.50 + 1.00 x 45. Tell me how you induce prism via decentration either horizontally or vertically?
    Since you are an Optician (or more) and I am only an Engineer, I'll admit that you can probably devise a situation in which prism via decentration may not be practical or possible. My original question is this: Has anyone used the pictured trial frames to generate a prism Rx for diplopia? And if so, about how long does it take to arrive at the correct rotational arrangement of the prism lenses to cause horizontal lines and vertical lines to fuse and then write the Rx?

Thanks for any comments.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You could use a prism compensator. Just like on lensometers. However these prism compensators are already built in on exsisting phoropters. Thats how the Doctor determines the prism needed to help the problem. rgreed is trying to put together the same thing in a self test kind of way.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RGreed,

Are you sending any body that helps here a consultation fee?

Also, with a screen name like RGreed, I advise you to steer clear of any Occupy Optiboard squatter types!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rgreed, a standard trial frame set includes prism rings. Trail frames are generally only used to verify patient satisfaction with results obtained from refraction with a phoropter (and at that, very seldom used by most practitioners, even when troubleshooting a problem). Prism is seldom prescribed from trial framing. Your invention will only have practical use in rural 3rd world areas, and once again, a standard trial frame will be able to test prismatic values needed in that type of situation.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    optical24/7;
    Thanks for your opinion.
    BTW, three ophthalmologists (one of them specializing in Diplopia) that have looked at my patent drawings have expressed interest in the concept.
    One of the three said; "Wow, the patient can dial in his own prescription. That means if he is not satisfied with the prescription, he won't be able to put the blame on me."

So it all comes down to this. If my device does not shave a very substantial amount of time off of arriving at an Rx then it is worthless in the market place. I appreciate your comments, but some on this forum are very condecending and demeaning. I thought it was a place to share ideas and specific problems/solutions. If someone were to ask me an engineering question, I would attempt to help them, if I had the answer (as long as it did not involve public safety).

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mr. rgreed:
    I think this device is not going to be helpful.

Firstly, diplopic patients are exceptionally rare, so it's not practical for such an expense.
    Secondly, what you propose is already available, as has been said, in other forms.
    Thirdly, what you propose is not even a sure-fire way to precribe prism, anyway.

I thank you for your interest, and wish you the best!

Occupation
    I've solved your low power patient problem,

Install 2 sets of lenses in the device that add to zero. ie, +10.00 and a -10.00;

Make the +10.00 move with the horizontal dial and the -10.00 move with the vertical dial.

The effective power will be plano for patients with low Rxs but will still displace images when the dials are turned.

Send the ck to

PO BOX 2020
    Sunny, FL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A prism reading on an instrument such as you describe is not necessarily what the doctor prescribes. The same can be said of power readings through a phoropter, trial frame or auto-refractor...the end result on the instrument and what the doctor prescribes are two different things.

Besides, what you describe was invented back in the 1950s. It's called a Major Amblyoscope. I've got three of them in my basement, in case you were wondering how useful they are.

Thread Information