Thread: Help!!! Engineer driving me crazy!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Help!!! Engineer driving me crazy!!

hello.
    I hope someone can give me some advice. I have a gentleman who is a first time varifocal wearer

RX Re) +1.75 / -2.00 x 1
    Le) +2.50 / -2.75 x 180
    add) +2.00
    supra frame
    pant - 7 degrees
    dihedral angle - 7 degrees
    heights: 19/18
    PD's: 35/36
    Inset: re) 1mm le) 2mm

firstly he was dispensed a 1.6 ipseo
    Unfortunately i was on holiday but he collected and ive been informed that he claimed he could not see clearly through them at this point we also found out our visioffice had not been calibrated.
    it was remade with a Nikon 1.6 Seemax
    Again he came in to collect and complained about the reading area being too small
    This was then remade into with the same lens but i shorter corridor.
    On my return he collects the third attempt and he complains that the reading area/width is too small as he has to move his head like a bobbing cat to read.
    I explained that his astigmatism would give higher distortions so he would have to adapt and move his head more. Unfortunately he does not believe me as he is a pilot, a engineer and a physics teacher from which he then drew me many diagrams along with a few too many equations to show that it is possible to achieve more than a 6mm reading area.
    Not once has he left the store with his spectacles, he does not want to move his head to read, he believes that all manufacturers are 'having us on', that myself or anyone instore has a clue what they are talking about and is adamant we find a technical cause to why he can not see!
    I must find a way to increase this mans reading area, can anyone recommend absolutely anything which may help?

much appreciated!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An engineer with a strong physics background driving you nuts?
    I'm SHOCKED!!

Send him here-

http://www.opticampus.com/cecourse.p...essive_lenses/

Or print it out. Note about 1/3 down Minkwitz's theorem and how it affects the umbilic. Also show him the pictures showing corridor widths and unwanted astigmatism and explain how his astigmatism is making it even worse.

As a last resort I'd put him into an inexpensive hard design like the Super No Line.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-29-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Route 1: FT-28
    Route 2: Try a digital PAL like the Physio 360 and cross your fingers. Then spend 4 weeks trying assorted other PALs if that doesn't work.
    Route 3: LASIK with custom vue then let him wear readers

Don't be timid about pulling the plug. Not everyone can wear a PAL.
    Last edited by RIMLESS; 10-29-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yep. Flat tops. He will love them.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Progressives don't have big reading areas. Sure some are better then others but none are going to win a prize for reading size. He probably isn't going to like flat tops either with the line and image jump but he will have a bigger reading area.

Sometimes you just have to be a little blunt with these types. Tell him he isn't gonna get a bigger area in a progressive and he has to just except it or go to a flat top/separate reading lens.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

The inset appears too small.
    1. Why did you specify a custom inset (with this values) instead of using the manufacturer's auto calculated inset?
    2. Why is the inset so different for both eyes?

The complaint of small reading area could come from insufficient inset causing a reduction in binocular field of vision when looking at near.
    Check out this table of calculated insets with consideration for lens prismatic effect (by Mo Jalie).
    Table 3.3 Geometrical Insetting:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Zl4...page&q&f=false

PS: Normally at this mono-PD the difference in the L/R inset would be around 0,1 mm (but not larger then 0,2 mm).

Best regards,
    Nikolay Angelov
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 10-29-2011 at 03:34 PM.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow 3 Redos? No offense but have you ever heard of investigating a non-adapt before making a redo? That is a costly mistake. Hopefully you've learned your lesson and will slow down on redos in the future.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nice thread title. I often find that people are driven crazy by engineers due to their inability to articulate an issue, and sometimes due to lack of subject knowledge. Engineer just wants to understand the issue at hand and quite often are capable of processing that information if presented in an intelligent, confident manner. Don't blame the engineer - maybe its time to get back and hit the books. Good luck with your Engineer/Physicists/Pilot/Professor - sounds like a pretty well accomplished person who deserves some respect.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work near Lockheed Martin, DFW airport, and a joint Navy/Air Force base. This man needs more than one pair of glasses. I would suggest an office type lens for a wider reading and a regular hard design PAL for when not reading, or a full time FT, or the dreaded one pair sv dvo one pair sv nvo. Usually with these types I lay our their choices and let them choose, putting the responsibility for the choice with them. Usually it works.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If this man was buying a vehicle......................

why would you sell him a SUV, when he really needs a convertible! And you sold him a SUV three(3) times?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    I must find a way to increase this mans reading area, can anyone recommend absolutely anything which may help?!
    A flat top 35. Having dealt with automotive engineers for most of 30 years I can tell you that this one is par for the course. Engineers cannot accept imprecision, it's just not in their nature so the best way to deal with it is to make their lens as precise and linear as possible, hence the D-35. If they insist on a progressive then they must understand the limitations and accept them, otherwise you will be doing remakes until kingdom come. I have a lot of respect for these guys but they can be trying to say the least. One thing I do know is never in a million years could I be married to one

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

To Cherie,

i ran a vision simulation with the parameters and RX you specified (except the inset) using Rodenstock's software:

On the left: Impression FreeSing DF = 0 ; DN = -18 (settings equivalent to Impression L)
    On the right: Impression XS

As you can see the vision zone for near can be quite good.

The Impression lenses should perform excellently with this RX (strong astigmatism) providing increase in visual acuity and larger zone at near:
    Check Rodenstock's EyeLT technology description:
    http://www.perret-optic.ch/optometri...k_EyeLT_gb.htm

<rant>
    On the negativity towards Engineers from previous posters:
    Keep in mind that Engineers designed and build every machine you use, designed and made the lenses you dispense and are responsible for you having electricity in your store/lab.

The logical conclusion (from what they have accomplished in comparison to you) is that they Are in fact smarter and more talented than you.

Oh and that fancy computer you are typing on ... it was not designed/build by an optician either.

You want to be treated and respected as professionals and yet this is how you treat other professionals....
    </rant>

PS: Yes a bifocal with a huge segment will tolerate fitting errors better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

your simulation.....

definitely points out the inadequacy of a multifocal, you will notice that it graciously points out that the floral arrangement will not be able to be viewed in its entirety, nor articles adjacent to it.......without head turning. A slight increase in near width, immediately is theft from the intermediate field and more intrusion into the distance zone with the distortion value. Designed by?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes the visual simulations are honest that is why we like and use them every day.
    They are created based on the RX and the position of wear parameters and vary for each person (as they should).
    (You can choose a different picture from the settings if you prefer)

It's true that the intermediate zone of PALs is not very wide especially with higher additions.
    But keep in mind that this intermediate zone is non-existent on bifocals and single vision lenses for far or near.

Trifocals could be used but they have a set of problems of their own.

Another solution for the narrow intermediate is to use 2 pairs: one PAL and one occupational PAL ("office" progressive).
    Also: the customer was not complaining about the intermediate zone but about the near.

Designed by?
    Are you asking about the design of the FreeSign lens or the software (the latter comes from Rodenstock with the ImpressionIST machine)?
    I have not done any special design for the FreeSign PAL as there is insufficient information about the client's preferences and requirements.

Best regards,
    Nikolay Angelov

Thread Information