Thread: Best 'computer' for my patients, any recommendations?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Best 'computer' for my patients, any recommendations?

Looking to get some insight on the Zeiss Business lens or any other comparable lenses on the market.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Doug:

I think you will find that every brand will have it's limitations, namely raw material, blank diameter, coating quality/availability, power range/digression, useful intermediate/near area. I don't tend to favor one over the other, so I tend to use different ones for different situations, including the B dimension issue, and budget of the wearer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi!

I'm personally using the Zeiss business lens quite a bit for pt's who aren't interested in a progressive or have progressive lenses and want a more comfortable viewing area for intermediate and near. I use the Shamir Office lens also for people who have similar needs as stated above but also want a little distance as well. The offfice lens has a little area up top that allows for distance vision at about 12 to 15 feet- about the size of a standard office. I don't dispense either lens without asking a lot of questions first and also making sure I explain thoughly to the pt what is is they are buying.

These are just my personal preferences and I would suggest you research several different options and only dispense lenses who's properties you understand fully.

I hope this helps, I am also interested in learning about other speciality lenses my fellow Optiboarders use.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Hi!

I'm personally using the Zeiss business lens quite a bit for pt's who aren't interested in a progressive or have progressive lenses and want a more comfortable viewing area for intermediate and near. I use the Shamir Office lens also for people who have similar needs as stated above but also want a little distance as well. The offfice lens has a little area up top that allows for distance vision at about 12 to 15 feet- about the size of a standard office. I don't dispense either lens without asking a lot of questions first and also making sure I explain thoughly to the pt what is is they are buying.

These are just my personal preferences and I would suggest you research several different options and only dispense lenses who's properties you understand fully.

I hope this helps, I am also interested in learning about other speciality lenses my fellow Optiboarders use.
    Thanks for the feedback folks. I've found the Nikon Online to be a good all round 'computer/office' lens and the parameters (indices, degression values) seem to give enough variety to answer most, if not all my patients needs. Thanks again

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hi
    i am gonna have to say i have used both nikon and ees but i find sola access the best of all no cmplains done a lot of them

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lsanaie View Post
    hi
    i am gonna have to say i have used both nikon and ees but i find sola access the best of all no cmplains done a lot of them
    Isanaie, how do fit take the mesurments for the sola access? there is some confusion on our part here, I think becuse the fitting chart uses the lower eyelid?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi there is a thread about sola access
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...72-Sola-Access

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lsanaie View Post
    Hi there is a thread about sola access
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...72-Sola-Access
    Thanks for the help

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use the Nikon Online personally, and with great regularity in my business. It has a low minimum fit hight of 15 and has given us a very low non-adapt rate. I have also used the Varilux Computer, and Sola Access.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    I use the Nikon Online personally, and with great regularity in my business. It has a low minimum fit hight of 15 and has given us a very low non-adapt rate. I have also used the Varilux Computer, and Sola Access.
    the nikon lens is not available through the lab I'm now using , I may try looking for them at a differant lab and try them out, the essilor computer are a bit more expensive but I know they are better, I've been using the shamir office here at my office. i also work at another office that uses the sola access they are having fitting problems, I only edge lenses at that office according to there mesurements, BUT with these tips I got at this forum I'm hoping will help out

thanks

Thread Information