Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so tired of so many ugly and unflattering frames!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm so tired of so many ugly and unflattering frames!

Just who decides what is in and what is out? We must have a couple hundred thick black plastic frames where I work and I think they only look good on a small number of people. Most of the time they look ugly and distract from the appearance, especially with woman. In fact in general I don't care for thick dark plastic eyeglasses except for sunglasses.

Sure, they are in style and I guess "fun" but I think 20 years from now we are going to look back on pictures of people in them and think "what were we thinking?"

I sell them a lot because people want them because they have been brainwashed into thinking they look cool and hot. And since young people seem to really like them, they are considered more youthful then much more flattering styles. And yes, sometimes I do like them, but maybe 20% of the time.

Am I the only one?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

Am I the only one?
    You are not alone. With me, it's rectangles. I'm getting sick of rectangles in every space on my frameboard. Of course, part of it is that we spend a lot more time looking at frames everyday than most people do in their whole lifetime.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    You are not alone. With me, it's rectangles. I'm getting sick of rectangles in every space on my frame board. Of course, part of it is that we spend a lot more time looking at frames everyday than most people do in their whole lifetime.
    Yes, I'm glad that some frames are starting to get a little deeper. But I think rectangles do look good on many people. It's nice to have some variety, though!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee and I can remember when a slender-spec and a Lady burbank (thin plastic frames) constituted 75% of our retail sales to the under 30 group.
    Too bad there isn't much made in plastic for the narrow faced woman now.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh how I miss being the buyer. Everytime we get a shipment of new product in I am chomping at the bit to get in the box only to discover the same old styles. I'd love to see a few aviators, some softer shapes for men, less black zyl and more neutrals for women. Just got in a box of sunglass frames that are so huge I doubt you can Rx them. All the fashion sources tell me that smaller suns are returning along with classics so what am I going to do with these montrosities?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Everytime we get a shipment of new product in I am chomping at the bit to get in the box only to discover the same old styles. I'd love to see a few aviators, some softer shapes for men, less black zyl and more neutrals for women.
    What about the frames that you know you'd sell a hundred of if it didn't have that little fake plastic bling on the temple?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure, they are in style and I guess "fun" but I think 20 years from now we are going to look back on pictures of people in them and think "what were we thinking?"
    Dig out some old Frames books or trade pubs from the '80's. What were WE thinking?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As to the logo's and cutisie little things on the temples, I have found that half the women buy them for this, the other half say they would love them if they didn't have them. I have complained countless times to countless frame mfgs. that they could double thier sales (and the ones without would show more profit at lower mfg. cost) if they offered thier frames with and without logos. Some women will say I don't want to be Juicy, or whatever.

Oddly enough, Frame companies seem to think that thier Logo is more important than the design of the frame.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to fool myself into believing that my boss pays me so well because of my exhaustive optical skills, my charming demeanor, and the fact that I (still/sort of) look decent in a black skirt.

Truth be told, I know that the main reason I am here is because our multiple sales are through the roof when I am working. I know that "sales" is a bad word to many, but that's my forte'. I think that the resurgence of the chucky clunkies, or as the reps call them, "geek chic", is one of the best excuses for at least a 2 pair , and quite often a 3 pair sale.

It's an impractical look, not to mention uncomfortable. Put it on the patient and tell them how "bold, yet unique" it is, fit it, and then show them something they're more accustomed to. Nobody should leave your office w/one of these chunky monkies as their only pair!!! Nobody!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Dig out some old Frames books or trade pubs from the '80's. What were WE thinking?
    I was actually thinking this when I wrote that sentence. They do look odd now but I honestly don't think they were any uglier then what we have now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heck, I remember when I complained to a frame rep 15 years ago about all our frames looking alike, and she said yeah, I know they're all borwn and round(oval).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @Happylady:

You are not alone in your thinking. We find it difficult not to duplicate choices of shapes, and colors when buying...........and yes, we still have the luxury of choosing what we carry, except when avoiding what the competition carries, or the so-called exclusive lines.

Diversity is lacking.....too many copies, and me-too products are produced.
    No design talent............at the manufacturing level. A lot of emphasis seems to be put on speed of production vs quality engineering and finish.
    Innovation............a rare gem in frame production. It seems that repeating the fashions of the 1900's is a safe and profitable venture.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    What about the frames that you know you'd sell a hundred of if it didn't have that little fake plastic bling on the temple?
    Absolutely right. In my market I see the very young want the blingy logo, then between 30 and 60(the majority of my patients)they want no embellishments. After 60 they want that bling again.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the central reason behind so many look-alike and boaring frames styles is obvious:
    the entire frame industry is scared to death of risk. Innovation is an anathema to them.

Boy would I like to have a hand here...

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The same can be said of the movie industry, that's why there are so many sequels, producers want to make sure the film makes a profit.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    The same can be said of the movie industry, that's why there are so many sequels, producers want to make sure the film makes a profit.
    Mental laziness plays a big part, too. How much easier is it to retread a story with the backstory, the characters already developed than to expend creativity to come up with something completely new? Same goes for books. The bookstore shelves are full of sequels and spinoff characters that got their own story treatment.

I'm against it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you go to the same store for bread, and all they sell is white, rye, and wheat, then that's what you'll always have.

The OD I work for deals w/8 different reps, and to be honest, the only differing attribute to the frames is often the name on the demo lens or temple.

On the other hand, the optician I work part time for sees hardly any reps, and buys from non-traditional sources. His bills are less, his selection is described by customers as unique and eclectic, and it attracts customers in just to see what's new.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just who decides what is in and what is out? We must have a couple hundred thick black plastic frames where I work and I think they only look good on a small number of people. Most of the time they look ugly and distract from the appearance, especially with woman. In fact in general I don't care for thick dark plastic eyeglasses except for sunglasses.
    One word: Hipsters

Some more words: when this chunky, square zyl fad came back in last summer (back-to-school is when I saw it take off), I totally fought it. I picked up a couple frames then, and the skinny little college gals came in and what I had wasn't big and round enough. I realized after a couple months why I disliked it so much: I'm not old enough to have a style I wore come back in fashion again. Then I had the epiphany, yes, I am that old. But I've said the same thing: there is nothing flattering about that shape. It's a fad that comes and goes, just like everything else.

I'm afraid what's coming next is the style from the early '90s, the big round metal frames. Once again, how is that flattering??? Yeah, I wore it 20 years ago, and thought it was cute, and people are gonna do the same thing today. What can ya do?
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no problem with the big ugly frames because I find them less offensive than skinny jeans. However, my big pet peeve is a beautiful temple paired with the ugliest, weirdest, shape that's not a shape frame front that is attractive on .000001% of the population.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Ugly" is in the eye of the consumer, and "flattering" is also a relative concept. Make peace with the fact that eyeglass styles change and change drastically, often in just a season or two. Your sales often correspond with your enthusiasm about your frame stock.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    "Ugly" is in the eye of the consumer, and "flattering" is also a relative concept. Make peace with the fact that eyeglass styles change and change drastically, often in just a season or two. Your sales often correspond with your enthusiasm about your frame stock.
    My sales are plenty good.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone catch the Japanese/American neurosurgeon turned renounded potter wearing the plastic frame with round lens O.D. and square one O.S. on tv the other night?

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    "Ugly" is in the eye of the consumer, and "flattering" is also a relative concept.
    How ture!
    Many times I see people wearing " unfit" ( by my judgement) frames, I always had the urge to tell them to switch , never did though. I guess people look at me the same way on my hair/clothe etc.
    But I think am not only lagging behind the trend , but never able to appreciate when it is out on lots of the trendy styles.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Happylady; my sales of this style are up there. I don't just buy the frames that I like to put on the boards. If I did, it would probably be pretty boring in here. If a young gal puts on a frame that makes her feel cute (even if I think it's atrocious), I won't try to talk her out of it, unless it's a poor fit. If she asks my opinion, I'm honest, but I don't try to sway patients into picking something I like. I've got a good handful of '80s style frames, for guys or gals, and they sell!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    I'm with Happylady; my sales of this style are up there. I don't just buy the frames that I like to put on the boards. If I did, it would probably be pretty boring in here. If a young gal puts on a frame that makes her feel cute (even if I think it's atrocious), I won't try to talk her out of it, unless it's a poor fit. If she asks my opinion, I'm honest, but I don't try to sway patients into picking something I like. I've got a good handful of '80s style frames, for guys or gals, and they sell!
    +1

Just yesterday I had a woman come in and ask if I could just look at her and pick out a frame that would look good. I'm so sick of this question. Yeah, I can pick out something that I think looks good, but what do you want? How many hundreds of times do we get people who want what we feel is gross? I only flat out tell people something is ugly when they clearly have no clue. But if they are a punk rock chick who wants the same glasses as her boyfriend, who am I to tell her that I don't think they become her pale vampire skin? They probably don't like the fact that I look like L.L.Bean puked me out either.

As far as fashion goes, the only thing I get bored of is a brown zyl frame with blue on the inside. I mean, yawn. But, what annoys me the most are frames that are impossible to adjust or put together.

Thread Information