Thread: do they do it and can you fill it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

do they do it and can you fill it?

Do doctors offices purposely leave off information vital to getting a contact lens Rx filled at, just for instance, a retail shop? I ask because so many are coming in with the base curve not listed.

Another question: If the Rx is for something like Acuvue Oasys for Presbyopia and 8.4 is the only BC it comes in, can you fill it even if the BC isn't written on the script?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you check and the lens only comes in one BC then yes fill the Rx, otherwise call and verify.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't assume it's intentional on the doctor's office part, though it could be. I know in our office we have stamps for the rx pads and anyone who is available will write out rx copies for patients if they need another copy. Some employees are not familiar with contact lenses to the point that they know they should include the base curve, etc. Personally I always call and verify an out of office rx just to cover my own tail anyway.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fitting (base curve, size, brand, water content, etc.) should be the job of the optician. The doctors job is to determine is the eye healthy and does it need correction? Be most grateful when the doctor does not supply this, that way if what he would have written didn't work, you can change it.
    What are you for if you just read the label? WM can do this as well as the most highly "trained" optician.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip: What I have the ability to do and what I have the equipment to do are two different things. I work in warehouse retail. We are the mere fillers of prescriptions, the pickers of low hanging fruit. We have no doctor. No slit lamp. No keratometer. Everyone who works there is licensed and all are skilled. Retail happens to pay more than the doctor's offices do in NC. The doc can open his doors without licensed opticians on staff- retail can't.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    Some employees are not familiar with contact lenses to the point that they know they should include the base curve, etc.
    OK, now that you mention that, it makes sense. But so does what I was thinking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Do doctors offices purposely leave off information vital to getting a contact lens Rx filled at, just for instance, a retail shop? I ask because so many are coming in with the base curve not listed.

Another question: If the Rx is for something like Acuvue Oasys for Presbyopia and 8.4 is the only BC it comes in, can you fill it even if the BC isn't written on the script?
    Just be careful assuming; this particular example comes 8.8 also.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Just be careful assuming; this particular example comes 8.8 also.
    Whoa- thanks for the heads up. I guess my store's price list only lists what we can get, not necessarily every base curve made. I'll go with the "call to verify" suggestion then.

Thread Information