Thread: HOYA Flooded!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

HOYA Flooded!

Anyone seeing problems yet?

http://www.optometry.co.uk/news-and-.../?article=2773

I think it will be tough to re-route 20-30k jobs a day!
    Last edited by lensguy; 10-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper You should not have any sympathy..................................

You should not have any sympathy for these giant worldwide corporations that have moved their main production to countries with cheap labour.
    If you get jobs back you gave them too late, because they are made in an other corner of the world instead of in you local lab, you will have to digest the results.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    You should not have any sympathy for these giant worldwide corporations that have moved their main production to countries with cheap labour.
    If you get jobs back you gave them too late, because they are made in an other corner of the world instead of in you local lab, you will have to digest the results.
    Are you kidding me Chris? Where's your compassion for humanity? Whole families have lost what little they had.

As an independent lab owner and to remain competitive in an ever changing technological landscape, 'global sourcing' is required. 98% of all ophthalmic products are born and produced outside North America by both the small companies and global giants from lens molding to frame development.

From a quick glance of your website, I see that you export your products for sale outside North America - how would you feel reading a reponse like yours from another country? There are many fellow opti-boarders that reside in Asia.

Who do you think develops the technology and ingredients for everything premium we all crave in North America? Do you enjoy driving comfortably in your luxury car down to Florida each winter? How about its excellent sound and navigation system? And your iphone or blackberry - where do all the components come from? Hard disk drives on your computer?

We all want the best known brands of everything over here in North America, but our constant greed for higher wages and benefits prevents us from developing the technology and building it on our own soil.

As for what's currently happening in Thailand, I wish the best for the people as they have been given great opportunities to survive, succeed and provide for their families from companies like Hoya.

This natural disaster has been occuring for weeks now and I haven't noticed a single delay in my product delivery thus far - hats off to Hoya for implementing an excellent contingency plan. In fact, some of my 'globally sourced' products have been arriving faster than my 'locally produced products'.

If my building or home ever floods and I need assistance, I shall skip right over your name on my 'call list'.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    Are you kidding me Chris? Where's your compassion for humanity? Whole families have lost what little they had.

As an independent lab owner and to remain competitive in an ever changing technological landscape, 'global sourcing' is required. 98% of all ophthalmic products are born and produced outside North America by both the small companies and global giants from lens molding to frame development.

From a quick glance of your website, I see that you export your products for sale outside North America - how would you feel reading a reponse like yours from another country? There are many fellow opti-boarders that reside in Asia.

Who do you think develops the technology and ingredients for everything premium we all crave in North America? Do you enjoy driving comfortably in your luxury car down to Florida each winter? How about its excellent sound and navigation system? And your iphone or blackberry - where do all the components come from? Hard disk drives on your computer?

We all want the best known brands of everything over here in North America, but our constant greed for higher wages and benefits prevents us from developing the technology and building it on our own soil.

As for what's currently happening in Thailand, I wish the best for the people as they have been given great opportunities to survive, succeed and provide for their families from companies like Hoya.

This natural disaster has been occuring for weeks now and I haven't noticed a single delay in my product delivery thus far - hats off to Hoya for implementing an excellent contingency plan. In fact, some of my 'globally sourced' products have been arriving faster than my 'locally produced products'.

If my building or home ever floods and I need assistance, I shall skip right over your name on my 'call list'.
    Wow!

I don’t think Chris was referring to the people, only the corporate greed of a company that invests little in many of the areas they operate and off shores the production and profit!

For an independent lab owner, your response sounds like a scripted corporate line of bull s*&#. You are saying it is our greed that drives production off shore? These decisions are made only by a group of drones accountable only to shareholders that are interested in only in profit and stock prices. They couldn’t give a s*&% about contribution to a local economy. The only economy they care about is their own.

Anyone that works for this company’s is simply a number that is expendable and when things get tough, the employees are the first to pay the price (cut hrs, lay off's and off shore production) to save a buck..........

Anyway, after this rant, I feel i should be off to the Occupy Wall Street demonstration..........

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    Wow!

I don’t think Chris was referring to the people, only the corporate greed of a company that invests little in many of the areas they operate and off shores the production and profit! <<Does that not involve the people?>>

For an independent lab owner, your response sounds like a scripted corporate line of bull s*&#. << Is this not a forum to which I am entitled an opinion? How one interprets it is their issue>> You are saying it is our greed that drives production off shore? These decisions are made only by a group of drones accountable only to shareholders that are interested in only in profit and stock prices. They couldn’t give a s*&% about contribution to a local economy. The only economy they care about is their own. <<Unless you own a subshop down on the corner, most businesses today operate on either a provincial, national or global level -operating simply at a local or regional level wouldn't allow you to survive>>

Anyone that works for this company’s is simply a number that is expendable and when things get tough, the employees are the first to pay the price (cut hrs, lay off's and off shore production) to save a buck..........<< How is this different from how any other local companies operate? Open a newspaper, listen to the radio,watch the news - human layoffs are obviously not a preferred method I agree, but what's the other option...going out of business and bankrupt and then we are all out of a job??>>

Anyway, after this rant, I feel i should be off to the Occupy Wall Street demonstration..........<<sounds like they could use your support>>

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    next
    Last edited by Olivertwist; 10-27-2011 at 12:27 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Chris, You say not to have sympathy for these giant . . . yet you have no problem using their names and reputations to recommend your products. From your website: DrillSeal - Recommended by Vision Ease Lens Inc. and also used by Essilor and Zeiss.

My opinion is that you are attempting to capitalize on a devastating global situation that has affected more than just the optical community. Many local labs founded in the US and Canada have now sold out to big lens manufacturers, yet those labs still employ local citizens . And like these labs, you probably sell or OEM some products made overseas also. (From your website: Direct sales and supplies into any country where there is no distribution setup New OMS Distributors welcome in all countries) So no local jobs are gained by moving business to companies like yours, it’s just taking market share from other suppliers.

This is the people of Thailand's Katrina and they deserve compassion.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The poeple do..................................

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertwist View Post

This is the people of Thailand's Katrina and they deserve compassion.

The poeple do..................................the corporations dont, they are well insured against damages and business loss.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    The poeple do..................................the corporations dont, they are well insured against damages and business loss.
    Way to back peddle.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it is quite the opposite.
    It looks to me that you-both of you-(Rob Brown & Olivertwist) would like to leverage the human compassion, which any normal person would have………. for compassion for Hoya! This is a typical corporate strategy. Spin or leverage any opportunity that people can be compassionate about and align it with corporate goals…sales…profit…..tax benefits…etc.

It appears that the two (or maybe one) of you are teaming up on any “Hoya flood” threads……damage control?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    I think it is quite the opposite.
    It looks to me that you-both of you-(Rob Brown & Olivertwist) would like to leverage the human compassion, which any normal person would have………. for compassion for Hoya! This is a typical corporate strategy. Spin or leverage any opportunity that people can be compassionate about and align it with corporate goals…sales…profit…..tax benefits…etc.

It appears that the two (or maybe one) of you are teaming up on any “Hoya flood” threads……damage control?
    Very enjoyable - I actually laughed at this one!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Rob Brown said:

And yet you give ICE-TECH a really hard time for outsourcing their raw material, not their jobs.

I call Shenannigans!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Rob Brown said:

And yet you give ICE-TECH a really hard time for outsourcing their raw material, not their jobs.

I call Shenannigans!
    I see you can type, but you're reading and interpretation needs some assistance. Look at it again, that wasn't my post. I simply mentioned their timing to self plug during another one's challanges seemed to be very convenient.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Look at your post #3. You are not quoting anyone else. You said it. Live by it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Look at your post #3. You are not quoting anyone else. You said it. Live by it.
    The coal dust has clearly affected your brain cells.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by Karin Randall; 02-01-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Thread Information