Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crizal Optifog. Low contact angle --> the new hotness

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Post Crizal Optifog. Low contact angle --> the new hotness

Just saw an add in Der Augenoptiker for the newest addition to the Crizal family:

http://www.optifog.com/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They had a fog booth in Vegas. I am sure this will raise the price another $10.00!
    I did not check it out, but also do not use any Essilor products.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Here is how it works (you have to apply the hydrophilic layer once a week):

Lol we have been bombarded with "higher contact angle is better" for so long...
    Now we have to change our explanations again :

-So Sir, which coating would you like? The easy to clean ultra-foggy one OR the new fog-free smudgy one .

-Uhmm, can i have both?

-Most certainly. We just have to select another frame for the second pair .

Hey that's not a bad idea after all .

Best regards,
    Nikolay Angelov

PS:
    They had a fog booth in Vegas.
    Essilor's "Fog booth", that's a new one .
    (sorry ... couldn't resist)
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 10-10-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the humidity and lens conditions are significant, there *will* be some distortion from the uneven water film layer.

Don't overpromis!

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The Optifog lens is activated by the Optifog Activator by simply adding a drop of this concentrate to each side of the Optifog lens.
    By gently wiping with a microfiber cloth to make sure to coat the entire surface, eyeglass wearers will find that their vision becomes perfectly fog-free up to one week.

You put one drop and spread it on lens surface and it acts as an anti fog product like many others on the market I would say that Essilor should be ashamed to bring such a new novelty on the market that was available in optical stores 50 and more years ago. The BS is saying that it acivates the lens, while it is just another anti fog product. ========= :poop: OptiPoop

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    From their FAQ:

What is the composition of Optifog Activator?
    Water, Fluoroalkyl Alcohol Substituted Polyethylene Glycol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether.

What is Optifog system benefit vs antifog liquids?
    Other systems are sold on the market but with less anti-fog efficiency and less everyday clarity of vision. Optifog also provides a more durable solution than its competitors: the anti-fog coating of Optifog durably retains the Optifog Activator for up to one week, under normal conditions.

Moreover anti-fog liquids sold on the market have very variable quality. Even the most efficient of them can bring only anti-fog properties on standard lenses from a couple of hours up to one day. And some fog can remain on the lens.

May I activate Optifog lenses with another anti-fog liquid?
    Optifog maximum anti-fog efficiency depends on the perfect interaction between the lens and the Optifog Activator. The lens has been specifically designed to protect against fog. The Optifog Top Layer has been specifically developed to bring maximum efficiency with Optifog Activator. When other anti-fog liquid are used performances are much lower and can be disappointing for wearers.

So it is supposed to last longer by better bonding to the lens surface ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    gotta love great marketing, take an old idea that sucked in the first place and act like its some new and a amazing. instead of wasting 10mil on advertisements for more crap why not give me that money and call it a day. Ryser should start selling them his stuff, id be amazed at how good they would make it sound, and probably make him a billionair in the process.
    equal opportunity offender!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's a farmers trick when caught out in the fields with rain approaching and of course the beat up pickup's wipers don't work. You cut in half a potato and rub it on the dry wind shield. Same sheeting effect.

Like to see a right vs. left lens trial of that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So the patient would have to spray on the stuff once a week? They don't clean their glasses once a year now, and suddenly they are going to pay more to do what they wouldn't for less? I think Crizal's next move should be to start marketing ice to eskimos.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    You cut in half a potato and rub it on ...
    Brilliant! I'm in on marketing this for eyewear Fester. I'm picturing several products, based on performance level; from Spuds (basic level) to Russets (better) to Yukon Gold (premium).

Occupation

Blue Jumper take an old idea that sucked in the first place.............................

Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post

gotta love great marketing, take an old idea that sucked in the first place and act like its some new and a amazing. instead of wasting 10mil on advertisements for more crap why not give me that money and call it a day. Ryser should start selling them his stuff, id be amazed at how good they would make it sound, and probably make him a billionair in the process.

................that would be the greatest moment..........Forbes Magazines article on the billionair that got rich on ===> :poop: OptiPoop

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There's a farmers trick when caught out in the fields with rain approaching and of course the beat up pickup's wipers don't work. You cut in half a potato and rub it on the dry wind shield. Same sheeting effect.

I am going to carry a potatoe with me from now on. Thanks Uncle Fester

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I am going to carry a potatoe with me from now on. Thanks Uncle Fester
    People used to have a potato attached to their belt as it was the fashion at the time. :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The Optifog lens is activated by the Optifog Activator by simply adding a drop of this concentrate to each side of the Optifog lens.
    By gently wiping with a microfiber cloth to make sure to coat the entire surface, eyeglass wearers will find that their vision becomes perfectly fog-free up to one week.

You put one drop and spread it on lens surface and it acts as an anti fog product like many others on the market I would say that Essilor should be ashamed to bring such a new novelty on the market that was available in optical stores 50 and more years ago. The BS is saying that it acivates the lens, while it is just another anti fog product. ========= :poop: OptiPoop

I think I still have a bottle of Kleer-O-Fog somewhere.

Occupation

Big Smile Old Hat.............................................

Quote Originally Posted by NikolayAngelov View Post

Lol we have beenbombarded with "higher contact angle is better" for so long...
    Now we have to change our explanations again :

-So Sir, which coating would you like? The easy to clean ultra-foggy one OR thenew fog-free smudgy one .

-Uhmm, can i haveboth?

Hey that's not abad idea after all .

Best regards,
    Nikolay Angelov

Actually it has been made and sold since 1990. Both, hydrophobic and hydrophilic in one layer of polysiloxanes. That makes it a high and a low contact angle in the same product that Essilor did not invent since 1990.

Today it can be applied by dipping in a water based solution or evaporated from a concentrate in a vacuum coating unit.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    No opinion on selling or promoting this just yet, but I tried the sample lens here at AAO in a hot steamy shower and it works as claimed. Well see how yet another attempt to market an old idea goes this time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    pricing is steep and is also available with TD2 in place of Crizal. Requires a weekly application of a "reactivating" agent ($$$$????!!!!)

Availability is slated to begin 10/25/11.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    pricing is steep and is also available with TD2 in place of Crizal. Requires a weekly application of a "reactivating" agent ($$$$????!!!!)

Availability is slated to begin 10/25/11.

B
    And it must be applied at an E lab.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just saw an add in Der Augenoptiker for the newest addition to the Crizal family: http://www.optifog.com/
    I wish I could help u with that. but i'm really not sure what are u tryin to accomplish.. on the other hand:
    They had a fog booth in Vegas. I am sure this will raise the price another $10.00! I did not check it out, but also do not use any Essilor products.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would never choose OptiFog again. You have to activate it at least every second day, not once a week! But whats really annoying... you won't be able to keep your glasses clean anymore. No Lotus with OptiFog :(

Occupation
    Anti-fog

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Anti-fog agents, also known as anti-fogging agents and treatments, are chemicals which prevent the condensation of water in the form of small droplets on a surface which resemble fog. Anti-fog treatments were first developed by NASA during Project Gemini, and are now often used on transparent glass or plastic surfaces used in optical applications, such as the lenses and mirrors found in glasses, goggles, camera lenses, and binoculars. Anti-fog treatments work by minimizing surface tension, resulting in a non-scattering film of water instead of single droplets, an effect called wetting. Anti-fog treatments usually work either by application of a surfactant film, or by creating a hydrophilic surface.

more on it.........................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-fog

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK , so how do we market this in the one-use foil wrapper? Tater De-fogger and Lunch -ALL-IN-ONE !

directions. Open and cut in half. rub thoroughly over surface to de-fog. Then microwave on high 4 min and add sour cream or butter. (not inc.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    OK , so how do we market this in the one-use foil wrapper? Tater De-fogger and Lunch -ALL-IN-ONE !

directions. Open and cut in half. rub thoroughly over surface to de-fog. Then microwave on high 4 min and add sour cream or butter. (not inc.)
    Then the customers will declaim "No one told me that butter would make my lenses dirty - I want a refund!).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your answer my secret gift

Ok, for a one time charge of only ten dollars I will give you the answer to the fog solution. GO TO YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE, LOCAL....... PURCHASE A BOTTLE OF RAIN X. FOR COATING THE WINDSHIELD OF YOUR CAR AND USE IT ON ALL LENSES NO MATTER THE COATING OR BRAND AND YOU ONLY APPLY ONCE EVERY SIX MONTHS! WOW! ROCKET SCIENCE I KNOW! LOL..... AND THATS WHY THEY CALL ME THE EYE GUY! ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I wish I still had some of Younger's No-Fog. That stuff really worked and was what the astronauts used until they came up with the thin gold electroplate that could be electrified to clear fog. I could treat a lens and hold it in the steam plume of our distiller and it would not fog. I wonder if they found something bad about it's main ingredient, tricresyl phosphate.

Ah, I see.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricresyl_phosphate
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information