Thread: Mono Pd's

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

With all the new higher index lenses out there everyone is told they should be taking momoculsr pd's and oc hts. The problem I'm seeing I believe is overkill. I now get FT28 with mono pd's far and near, and very high oc hts even on CR 39, which looks cosmetically awful on both these types of rx's. I even explained that on FT's you can have a mono distance and still have a binocular near, for a better looking pair of lenses, I still get those same rx's to fill.
    What's everyone's thoughts on this.
    Rich R.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes to a degree I think you are right. With CR 39 I always put the center on the 180. But with Hi Index and Poly I try to recommend a frame that will put the center very close to the 180 and pupil, really with todays narrow frames its really not that difficult to do so. On higher power Rx's I fully believe Monocular PD's are a must. Just need to have balance and be reasonable with the whole thing.

[This message has been edited by Matthew (edited 09-10-2000).]

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Originally posted by Rich R:
    With all the new higher index lenses out there everyone is told they should be taking momoculsr pd's and oc hts. The problem I'm seeing I believe is overkill. Rich R.
    Actually, it is a good habit to check it. And to take a Mono for their own charts.(OD)
    I would rather have them do that then not give them even with PAL's :) 9 times out of 10 it's only a mm, give or take, so you can combine and it is ok. But as for the optical center fitting.. I agree with that if it is an aspheric lens, poly or high index. OR if the seg is fit low on purpose.. Does it make a difference? Sure it does, say if you have a seg hght of 15 and the OC is 13 mm or so above instead of the average of 5 to 7 (which it usually is more often then not) then you are giving them power problems .. off axis power and possible oblique astigmatism .. ever had those guys come up to you and tell you "oh when I raise my frame up, it's so much clearer" :)
    I usually just take it from job to job, better for "overkill" then have to deal with not enough "information" ... You are having the opposite problem I'm having, alot of the time I don't even get mono's on PAL's it's not as bad as it used to be after going to each of the accounts (numerous times) demonstrating how to fit PAL's, but I still have a hand full of hold outs that everytime, I or my techs call they say "split it" .. it's amazing that only at these same few practices EVERY single mono-PD is even :) .. Oh well, if the OD don't mind losing the sale because of improper fitting then what the heck, not place to "train" his staff :)

Jeff "Can agree with both sides of the argument" Trail

Thread Information