Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: when does an eyeglass rx expire?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Today, my partner, in an extremely inciteful (!) piece of original thinking, put this whole expired Rx/duplicate thingy in proper perspective:

Said he: "If a person's glasses are broken, and the Rx connected to them has surpassed its expiration date, and I know that others say we shouldn't duplicate them...but...should we repair them....or not?"

Which, he asks, would be more consistent with our duty to protect people's health? Which would be more consistent with those who say "No!" to using an expired Rx?

Me? "Expired Rx, my ***!" One of the all-time, biggest waste-of time and mental effort discussion points I can imagine in eyewear. Really really just plain silly.

B
    In this case, you are likely repairing a frame, not an Rx. Again, another corner case that does not warrant the case against Rx expiration. Rx expiration is done to protect the health of the pts eyes and to protect their wallets from unscrupulous dealers. 800-Contacts and Costal Contacts are case in point.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    In this case, you are likely repairing a frame, not an Rx. Again, another corner case that does not warrant the case against Rx expiration. Rx expiration is done to protect the health of the pts eyes and to protect their wallets from unscrupulous dealers. 800-Contacts and Costal Contacts are case in point.
    Yes, I agree with contacts (technically classed as drugs).

Not expirations connected with Rx eyewear. At Best, we'll agree to disagree.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Yes, I agree with contacts (technically classed as drugs).

Not expirations connected with Rx eyewear. At Best, we'll agree to disagree.

B
    I'll agree to that.....(my point was that types like 800/Coastal wouldn't recommend a refraction to someone who has an expired glasses Rx, which I think we all agree should be done before filling an old eyeglasses Rx, hellck, they'll even fill an expired contact Rx) Just don't shoot me.... someone has to take the other side of the discussion, otherwise its not a discussion

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    I'll agree to that.....(my point was that types like 800/Coastal wouldn't recommend a refraction to someone who has an expired glasses Rx, which I think we all agree should be done before filling an old eyeglasses Rx, hellck, they'll even fill an expired contact Rx) Just don't shoot me.... someone has to take the other side of the discussion, otherwise its not a discussion
    +1! Let's get a beer!

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never worked in the eastern part of the US. Only in Arizona and New Mexico where I went to school. New Mexico is a Non License state but Rx's especially CL Rx's expire in 1 year, as they should. Now Arizona where I currently practice, dispensing that is, There is legislation and the State Law states 1 year from date written unless otherwise stipulated by the doctor on the written RX. Duplication is allowed if the Dr. approves it in writing, but otherwise the filling or duplication of an expired RX is a class 2 Misdemeanor that is Punishable by Law so It truly doe depend upon which State you are in and whether or not there is a regulatory Board in place.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofussi View Post
    I have never worked in the eastern part of the US. Only in Arizona and New Mexico where I went to school. New Mexico is a Non License state but Rx's especially CL Rx's expire in 1 year, as they should. Now Arizona where I currently practice, dispensing that is, There is legislation and the State Law states 1 year from date written unless otherwise stipulated by the doctor on the written RX. Duplication is allowed if the Dr. approves it in writing, but otherwise the filling or duplication of an expired RX is a class 2 Misdemeanor that is Punishable by Law so It truly doe depend upon which State you are in and whether or not there is a regulatory Board in place.
    In Ohio a licensed optician is allowed to duplicate an Rx for spectacles

Thread Information