Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: old timers

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Out lasted the Leading Lady

Started in Jan of '73. When I was learning to size the edger, my teacher pulled out a metal Leading Lady and said, this is the sizer we use to set the edgers. I questioned, why use a frame that is going out of style. He laughed at me and said, that's what I thought 20 years ago when I was learning.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wasn't the Leading Lady an on-line pattern (46 eye measured 46 at the 180, but boxed a mm or so bigger)?

So for my contribution to the "You Know You're Old When..." thread: .....when you know that "on-line pattern" has nothing to do with computers.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    Wasn't the Leading Lady an on-line pattern (46 eye measured 46 at the 180, but boxed a mm or so bigger)?

So for my contribution to the "You Know You're Old When..." thread: .....when you know that "on-line pattern" has nothing to do with computers.
    .....old when you can't remember. I think another reason we used that was we had a metal pattern. We set our edgers at 36.5. (Sizer dial set to 36.5 would match the size of the pattern.) If the pattern measured 41.5, it was a -5 pattern. Measure the "A" and take away 5 for the edger set. Most were -10s (measuring 46.6). There were some -15s (measuring 51.5).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a couple of metal formers in my collection.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As posts seem to be heading this way--Bump and add to this old timers thread if you haven't seen it before-

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...nd-Too-Long-If

Occupation
    I am so old, I remember "old guys' talking about pitch, rocking cylinders and knocking buttons of krytops.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I am so old, I remember "old guys' talking about pitch, rocking cylinders and knocking buttons of krytops.
    I must be old I remember blocking lenses with pitch (nasty job), rocking cylinders was boring as hell and making kryptoks (and some flat tops) was kinda fun.

Am I that old??? I'm not even retired yet.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

However you were not in Gettiysburg................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

I must be old I remember blocking lenses with pitch (nasty job), rocking cylinders was boring as hell and making kryptoks (and some flat tops) was kinda fun.

How about that one....................................and its not me

Wounded at Gettysburg – an optician recollects a past life

Published 30 Jun 2011
    Tags: American Civil War, Gettysburg,

Dick Buchanan says memories of a past life inspire his fascination with the American Civil War.

Dick Buchanan, 65, owns The Grand Spectacle opticians business in Horseheads, New York. He is not only an optician but also a psychic, a hypnotist, and — just like rock star Phil Collins — a man obsessed with a battle that took place over a hundred years ago.
    “I’ve always had an interest in the Civil War. Primarily because I served in the Civil War.”

See all of it: http://personalityspirituality.net/2...s-a-past-life/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    How about that one....................................and its not me

Wounded at Gettysburg – an optician recollects a past life

Published 30 Jun 2011
    Tags: American Civil War, Gettysburg,

Dick Buchanan says memories of a past life inspire his fascination with the American Civil War.

Dick Buchanan, 65, owns The Grand Spectacle opticians business in Horseheads, New York. He is not only an optician but also a psychic, a hypnotist, and — just like rock star Phil Collins — a man obsessed with a battle that took place over a hundred years ago.
    “I’ve always had an interest in the Civil War. Primarily because I served in the Civil War.”

See all of it: http://personalityspirituality.net/2...s-a-past-life/
    By the looks of him and that paneling, I can believe that has been living since the civil war!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Some other old optician .........not on OptiBoard......................

Old timers are not that stupid...................some of them think about the future.

There is an old man in Bangkok with a strange passion: he is making saxophones from bamboo.

Waiboon Tungyuenyong is his name, and he is actually a learned optician – which probably explains why he is willing to pay so much attention to detail when it comes to working with bamboo.

He is making his bamboo saxophones in an old shophouse. And he won’t move anytime soon: he was born in this building. His parents used to have a shop here to, where they sold all kinds of things. They were immigrants from China.

See more old opticians: http://thaitourguides.com/creative-b...axophone-maker

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

Might have been you. ??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi All, I am seeking a FRAME FACTS or FRAMES DATA price book from the mid 1990's (any year and any quarter will do). I am willing to pay $150 for it. Please send email to DrRobert@eyeworksgroup.com if you can help. Thank you!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jaqui:

Do you remember plane or black pitch?
    Rember ZoxE, Cerium Oxide? Rough, fining and smooth emery? Remember the Modern Arc? The Burbank? Lady Burbank? Slender Spec? Harelquin?

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    There is an Optician in Oak Harbor Washington named Gary Van Cleeve who is his low 70's and still practicing. He has been at it so long his original license was written in Latin.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Jaqui:

Do you remember plane or black pitch?
    Rember ZoxE, Cerium Oxide? Rough, fining and smooth emery? Remember the Modern Arc? The Burbank? Lady Burbank? Slender Spec? Harelquin?

Chip
    Yup :))

I remember green and black pitch both.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    27 yrs in the bus. in feb i got tired of the way some of the big companies did business so now i got my own full service lab and store front for frames although im not making a whole lot of money yet at least i know my customers are well taken care of im 47 now so i hope i can get it going real good pretty soon advertising is so expensive but even after all these years i still like the optical business

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great story markallen. Welcome to Optiboard!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by markallen View Post
    27 yrs in the bus. in feb i got tired of the way some of the big companies did business so now i got my own full service lab and store front for frames although im not making a whole lot of money yet at least i know my customers are well taken care of im 47 now so i hope i can get it going real good pretty soon advertising is so expensive but even after all these years i still like the optical business
    Since the topic of this thread is "old times" you may want to consider advertising in an "old time“ manner. It is not at all expensive, in fact it's free. Join and become active in your local Lions Club or Kiwanis Club. Get active in your faith group and network wherever possible. Fill your pockets with business cards and extend your hand to everyone you meet. On a nice spring day you might spend some time standing in front of your storefront saying hi to passerby's.

At this stage, do not be overly concerned with marketing your products and services. Market yourself.

By the way, this marketing strategy is uniquely suited to the independent practitioner and can allow you to compete with the multi-milliondollar advertising efforts of the large corporate chains.

Occupation
    Perfect advise....................................

When I was young and worked in fathers optical business (1950s), which at the time had also a photo department as well as instruments as microscopes and geodasic instrments, we rented the 400 seat Cinema next door 2x per winter on a Sunday afternoon and gave free courses in photography with lots of slides, of which also a lot of optical products were shown. The Cinema was always packed and we did gain a lot of customers for glasses as well as the photo part.

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm on my 38th year and just now getting the glass out of my fingertips, how many remember the term "u4 and out the door"
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    I'm on my 38th year and just now getting the glass out of my fingertips, how many remember the term "u4 and out the door"
    Funny!! But we actually made money on it! BTW, my 37th year.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    30+ years and I've never regretted it.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    .....old when you can't remember. I think another reason we used that was we had a metal pattern. We set our edgers at 36.5. (Sizer dial set to 36.5 would match the size of the pattern.) If the pattern measured 41.5, it was a -5 pattern. Measure the "A" and take away 5 for the edger set. Most were -10s (measuring 46.6). There were some -15s (measuring 51.5).
    I still have a few onsize patterns that if the eyesize is 46, you would set the edger at 46. I always set my edgers to be 37, not 36.5. Think about it, a minus 15 pattern for a 52 eye equals 36.5,not 37? New math!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    Yes, no nasty flourescein strips, no CN bevels or myoflanges, no 3-9 staining, practically no effort at all (said to get Chip's blood boiling); except training someone used to 8mm lenses to insert a lens about a foot wide!

Thread Information