Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: old timers

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

old timers

Back in 1980 when I first started in the optical industry as a lab guy I noticed these two old guys sitting at their bench in front of a lensometer. Now I find myself to be one of those guys. I don't know of many thirty yr guys like me and I am wondering how many forty year guys there will be when I get there

Occupation
    Im coming up on twenty soon.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just passed 52 on August 24th! I've cut way back but I go like hell Mondays from 9-12 and Thursday afternoons! Chip is not far behind me and Chris is ahead of us all.......but he hasn't practiced as an optician for years. Some years ago a peer once said to me "Who'd ever think we'd be around long enough to be one of the old timers?" I asked him how old he was and he said 57. I told him I was 58 and I didn't consider myself an old timer yet. I'm coming up on 71 and still don't!!!!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do you know where I can find a copy of frame facts? I am just starting a practice and the $434 annual prescription is tough when you are just opening your doors? Any idea where I can find one for less?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

oldness

Chip got into the business at about 14 and he will be 69 next week.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    34 years and counting. I get different reactions from the up and comers. Some see me as mentor and teacher as I did those who came before me....and the rest cannot comprehend why I use a PD stick and a lensometer when it's soooo much easier to use a pupilometer and a Humphrey. To be honest I'm glad I'm on my way out instead of in. It's been a great ride but I don't like what I see ahead for the business.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    42 years and still going strong.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    46 years and a few to go.
    J. R. Smith

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Still active, even after being dalled old timer..............................

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post

I just passed 52 on August 24th! I've cut way back but I go like hell Mondays from 9-12 and Thursday afternoons! Chip is not far behind me and Chris is ahead of us all.......but he hasn't practiced as an optician for years.

well.................well...................well............ ....

I started in spring 1950 in Lausanne Switzerland, (which is 61 years ago), as an apprentice for 3 years, then went to optical school for 3 years fulltime and spent a year at the London Refraction Hospital. I did have a good professional education.

Immigrated to Canada in 1961 and wanted to work as an optician and was barred from doing so by the Quebec associations. I would have had to do another 2 year apprentiship which after 8 years of learning was out of question. So I became the most educated frame rep and owned the company a few years later and added a wholesale lab, both of which I run for 20 years with 75 employees.

Started my present business in 1981 and still own it, and work nearly full time, besides taking care of my flowers, even after a double by-pass and aortic valve replacement last September a year ago. At 76 I am still on the go after having been repaired and renewed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started on April 1st 1970 after a short career as a school teacher. My license dates back to 1974. I retired almost 4 years ago, but still do fill-ins, speaking, and consulting. Yikes! That's almost 42 years! Where did they go?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Chip got into the business at about 14 and he will be 69 next week.

Chip
    If you count the time I was an errand boy for my dad's shop (Saturdays only to raise money for the double features Saturday afternoons) I started in 1953 and still have Chip beat! In truth, he is the better optician, proving that time in really doesn't count for much in my case! I count myself lucky to have he, and others on this page, as friends.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As long as I keep learning new things and going to work every day, I'll never consider myself an old-anything. Started in 1972, licensed in 1978 and still going strong!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been in the business for over 30 years.

Occupation
    I have a co-worker whose father was an optician as well. The co-worker went to the military optical school in 1973. In the mid eighties, he served there as an instructor. One of his students was my instructor, and we all now work in the same lab. One day, we were all leaving work, and the first guy says to me (in front of the second guy, his student, my instructor) "you're the most knowledgable optician I know". That may have been one of the best compliments I've ever had. Didn't go over too well with the other guy.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    38 years and counting!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since 1970, 1 year behind Optowalt and about 9 to go.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talked my OD into giving me a job filing, cleaning up the clutter when I was 15. One week later I was learning layout, cribbing, cutting on handstone, all glass at the time, I loved it. Made all his jobs while he read Playboy & gabbed on phone between patients. We learned to fit CL using me as pt. Left him for full time @ Sterling CL dept @ 34 St in NY, learned adjusting, I&R & running the dept. Lucky to have good OD as teacher. Left for Farkas & Kassalow, was their first tech, finished all cl, we ord. uncut at the time, all adjustments, I&R, fitting, training new techs. Licensed in '73.
    The rest as they say is history...been with the same OMD for past 30 yrs, will either be led out or carried out. My feeling is also I'm happy to be on the way out, not on the way in.
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    What's sad is there are times when I'm the oldtimer at the office and I'm only 34 with 17.5 years in the business. I did just spot my second gray hair the other day.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    What's sad is there are times when I'm the oldtimer at the office and I'm only 34 with 17.5 years in the business. I did just spot my second gray hair the other day.
    I'm also 34; found my first gray hair 10 years ago. Sheesh. X^P

I just had my 15 year anniversary last month. I started at 19 as an OD assistant, my sophomore year in college (my only other real job [besides Braums' Ice Cream] was in a pharmacy for my 1st year in college). My major at the time was Pre-Optometry. Then, after working for docs for a few years (and getting married halfway through my junior year), I decided I didn't want to be the doctor after all. I loved Opticianry, really, and got my ABO in 2000. I've been really fortunate always to work with a "sage" Optician at each of my offices, and I love learning from them. Over the years, I've had 6 people (two men, four women) who got their start around age 19, also. It occurred to me I'd eventually be one of those, who had been an Optician all my life.

We're actually working on getting to the point where I can retire (I think after 15 years I can use that term), and I can be a stay-at-home mom. I might keep up my CE credits, just in case someday down the road I want to get back in. . . we'll see.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    i'm going to 30 and lifetime is too short,isn't it?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just had my 39th anniversary last month. Tempis fugit!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    heres the question though...how many of you "old timers" wanted to get into optics? how many of you fell into it by accident and ended up in it for all this time?
    equal opportunity offender!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post
    heres the question though...how many of you "old timers" wanted to get into optics? how many of you fell into it by accident and ended up in it for all this time?
    Started college as a Secondary Music Education major.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My best friend's dad was an OD. I was out of work, he wanted to start an in-house lab. It all worked out.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Through the looking glass...

Fell down the rabbit hole with school in 1975 (OSF Class of 77) as a 17 year old.

I must say in all honesty it's been a grind.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-26-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: tweak...

Thread Information