Thread: Refracting by opticians

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Refracting by opticians

Any opticians in Ontario currently refracting?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by TennisPro View Post
    Any opticians in Ontario currently refracting?
    Can't see how any would be, or at least publicly admit to it, since its not legal.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nooooooooo... opticians wouldn't do that. Receptionists are refracting and dispensing. Optometrists wives are refracting and dispensing. So are refracting techs and ophthalmic techs, but nooo.... opticians can't refract. It's too dangerous.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well stated, LandLord....you noticed that too, eh!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Nooooooooo... opticians wouldn't do that. Receptionists are refracting and dispensing. Optometrists wives are refracting and dispensing. So are refracting techs and ophthalmic techs, but nooo.... opticians can't refract. It's too dangerous.
    Here's an example from the past few days. 21 year old woman presents with blurred vision, new Rx gives 20/20 vision in both eyes. Examination reveals intracranial hypertension AND retinal detachment. Would you really want to be the one to send that young woman on her way with a new pair of glasses only to have her end up blind or dead.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Here's an example from the past few days. 21 year old woman presents with blurred vision, new Rx gives 20/20 vision in both eyes. Examination reveals intracranial hypertension AND retinal detachment. Would you really want to be the one to send that young woman on her way with a new pair of glasses only to have her end up blind or dead.
    If you do your job correctly, you will have already examined her, and referred her to a doctor. Then, after she is treated, I will refract her and sell her the glasses she asks me for because she knows that I am more capable than your receptionist.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    If you do your job correctly, you will have already examined her, and referred her to a doctor. Then, after she is treated, I will refract her and sell her the glasses she asks me for because she knows that I am more capable than your receptionist.
    So you're saying you would never refract a person not already examined by a doctor? Thats not exactly what your profession has been pushing for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you're saying you would never refract a person not already examined by a doctor? Thats not exactly what your profession has been pushing for.
    Actually it is exactly what we've been pushing for. Exactly how long ago the exam was is yet to be established.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One more thing about this issue. Optometrists argue that opticians refracting would confuse patients into thinking they were examined by a doctor. However, they don't have a problem confusing optometric assistants and opticians.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Odema the problem with health care, specifically vision care is the lack of respect between the professions and ours is the worst offender. Our association pushes for "Optometric assistant" and shun opticians. The sole reason our association pushes for the optometric assistants is for money and control.

I would happily hire a refracting optician to assist in the office with my patients. Should opticians refract outright with no prior doctors examination? no they should not; but on the other hand we're blowing smoke up everyones butt telling the public you must have an exam annually, when two years would do and charging the suggested $75.

Lets be honest, since your beloved Ontario government deregulated exam coverage back in 2004, most of the OD in Ontario have cut their hours. Why? Because our associations fee schedule suggestions $75 minimum for your time. Double what OHIP use to pay ODs for the same service.

Let's face fact...we're no better than the opticians or anyone else for that matter. We, like everyone else, are in it for the MONEY!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ManitobaOD View Post
    Odema the problem with health care, specifically vision care is the lack of respect between the professions and ours is the worst offender. Our association pushes for "Optometric assistant" and shun opticians. The sole reason our association pushes for the optometric assistants is for money and control.

I would happily hire a refracting optician to assist in the office with my patients. Should opticians refract outright with no prior doctors examination? no they should not; but on the other hand we're blowing smoke up everyones butt telling the public you must have an exam annually, when two years would do and charging the suggested $75.

Lets be honest, since your beloved Ontario government deregulated exam coverage back in 2004, most of the OD in Ontario have cut their hours. Why? Because our associations fee schedule suggestions $75 minimum for your time. Double what OHIP use to pay ODs for the same service.

Let's face fact...we're no better than the opticians or anyone else for that matter. We, like everyone else, are in it for the MONEY!!
    No ones stopping your from hiring a refracting optican to help out, I think would be a tremendous help in a very busy office if the OD wanted to perform at maximum efficiency. Whats stopping you?

And another thing; $75 for an eye exam is a bargain for what we do in one, maybe a little rich for just a refraction, but I hope you're not discounting the value of what you do in this profession.

Thread Information