Thread: What new lab techs should know when starting at lux

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Smilie What new lab techs should know when starting at lux

I searched and wasn't able to find a thread that contained the information I was looking for.

I'm sure there are many lab techs who work for this company on this board. I'd just like some tips to know various things that might help someone who was just starting a job there. Anything would help really. From tips about how to make lenses to tips about moving up or increasing wage through training, certifications and other tests.

I have joined this board after finding it today and read a few different posts before doing my search. I hope I can become a welcomed member of the community.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LC used to do an earn as you learn program in the lab, offering raises for each level attained. Training will be spotty...especially the computer training. You will often be asked to work by yourself or with minimal staffing and things get very busy very quickly. You will need to know more about basic optics and lenses than the sales staff will, and they will ask you a lot of redundant questions. Cross-train on the retail floor if you can, you'll get more hours when it's slow. Take the electrical certification course if they still offer it. Learn the machine maintenance.

Understand that it can be pretty stressful there at times, they are strict on numbers, and slow to train...that will come down on you. I much preferred the lab at LC to the retail floor and I did both for a very long time.

Moving up is fairly difficult. I did the work of a lead tech without the pay increase for a long time. You will have to be VERY proactive about training and promotions, and be prepared to move stores a lot, for most promotions.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank you kelanor,

I am a bit reserved about what I say/ask on this board because I have read that you can get into trouble by posting things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kiss a$$.
    Never point out reality to field or upper management.
    Understand that your personal life is nothing, total dedication to "the company" is required.
    Don't argue, just do it the lux way, even though you know it's the wrong way.

Do these things, and sell your soul to Leonardo, and you will go far.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by portable View Post
    Thank you kelanor,

I am a bit reserved about what I say/ask on this board because I have read that you can get into trouble by posting things.
    Portable,

Don't post wholesale prices, don't post personal attacks, don't intentionally insult or belittle other posters, and you should be fine. Welcome to Optiboard.

I worked for LC in Manhattan, but it was over a decade ago, so any advice I might have will be massively outdated. Be prepared for one or more of your supervisors to have an exaggerated sense of their own intelligence, experience, and authority. This is true of all corporate work environments.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also I believe that this website is monitored by some of the big retail places...watch what you say about them while you're employed there. I believe at one point there was someone on this forum who lost their job because of something that was posted. I'm not positive though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I read the story of the woman who was fired for participating on this forum. That's why I'm wary of posting anything specific. =/

Thanks for the info so far. I am trying to do the training, I'm not sure if you all are familiar with their current training type or if I am obligated not to speak about them for the sake of the company. So I will play it safe and not say anything specific. In short, I'd like to have some written or otherwise tangible training material on the machines I am using in the lab so I know their purpose, what they are capable of and what to be cautious of when using them - as well as how the parts work so I could properly clean them without damaging them.

Now that I think of it - I should just ask my manager about this stuff. I don't really see how a forum is going to help me with that. Especially if there is risk of jeopardizing my job. :O

More general tips about structure of the chain of command, tips on working with lenses and tips on machines and how and when to take test/certs etc would still be useful though! Thanks, I look forward to reading and hopefully frequenting this forum more often.

This is an interesting field to work in,

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One thing I can absolutely say: the corporate training I received as a lab tech for VisionWorks in 1989-91 and Lenscrafters in 1997 absolutely provided a solid foundation for my knowledge of optics. I know an awful lot of sales-side optical professionals who would do well to go through a training program of that kind.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great....I wrote up all this stuff on what to know and do at LC and hit the 'post' button and all my hard work disappeared. Sorry, I don't feel like retyping it. Gist of it, listen to Spexvet. Learn all you can. Don't let the retail or store managers get you down.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the info so far, all. I appreciate it. I am learning quite a bit through the training. Some good courses on how the eye works and how lenses can help.

Thread Information