Faster than the speed of light!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster than the speed of light!

Does this change the world of optics as we know it?

Perhaps....neutrinos clocked, traveling faster than light, faster than 299,792 kps. Did someone say Warp Factor 5.
    Eyes wide open

Bazinga!
    Eyes wide open

Comment

I thought tachyons traveled FTL, too.
      DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
      "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

Read this book if you want to make your mind do the twist-

The authors theorize you can go faster than the speed of light if there is no time. Such as was present when the universe came into existence (but only for the very briefest of a moment of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
          Read this book if you want to make your mind do the twist-

The authors theorize you can go faster than the speed of light if there is no time. Such as was present when the universe came into existence (but only for the very briefest of a
          moment of course).
          Time is what keeps everything from happening at once. At the time of the Big Bang, everything did happen at once.

Comment

follow-up 19.11.2011

It seems that the folks at INFN have repeated the results of tracking subatomic particles traveling faster that light. Link to CBC story:

Cross-border shopping trip, anyone?
            Eyes wide open

Comment

So these neutrinos are superluminal--faster than the speed of light.

Or not.

I don't know what to believe at this point. Shortly after this neutrinos story broke, there was a brief technical paper that came out about this experiment. Said that the neutrinos really are not going faster than light. Said that the experiment depends on signals from GPS satellites, and that when Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity is correctly applied, taking into account the motion of the GPS satellites, that the neutrinos are actually not going as fast as light.

I know that more neutrino experiments are planned, so I am sure that we have not had the "last word" on this story.

"Speedy neutrino mystery likely solved, relativity safe after all"

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Comment

Here's another new report that brings up the issue of the motion of the GPS satellites:

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Comment

Another group of scientists weighs in:

"Study rejects faster than light particles finding"

Comment

Now...........what are the chances that this could happen! There is a possibility that the measurements arrived at were due to a loose cable connecting a GPS unit to an electronic card in a computer.
                    Last edited by uncut; 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM. Reason: link added
                    Eyes wide open

Comment

I tried to add the link, twice.......no neutrinos!

Link to CBC story :http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...neutrinos.html
                      Eyes wide open

Comment

I didn't read the postings, but I used to build computers (and still build my own) and loose cards and cables happen.
                        Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Skimlinks is nearly as fast as them neutrinos! Hover over "GPS unit" LOL
                          Eyes wide open

Comment

D'oh
                            Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X