Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617

Thread: Is Opticianry Dead?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    You missed the point! The point being the store manager ( where i interviewed ) at the Empire placed NO value on getting an education or a license because as he said " they don't require it of me ". So as I was trying to point out the The Boxes and places like the Empire do just by there being influence whether the people get a license or education. It's Slight influence but it's still an influence.
    You consistently miss the important points.
    There aren't that many employers who see the value of a great optician/manager, and even fewer that can pay for it.
    Only the BEST opticians available are going to get the great positions that are out there.
    Only the very best stand out, and the good are lumped in with the average and the awful.
    If you want the best, be the best. "Good enough" ISN'T!
    There aren't that many great opportunities available, and they will always go to whoever is the best available at the time.
    You may have to move to get them. So move.
    You may need a higher certification to get it, so earn one.
    You may need a degree to be considered, so go get it.
    Work on your communication skills (please).
    Don't sit on your past accomplishments, because while you do so, others are driving on and passing you by.
    When is the last time you added something significant to your resume?

Consistently complaining that the empire and the boxes won't pay you what (you think) you're worth puzzles me (perhaps a lesson in economics: you're only worth what someone will pay you). Why do you want to work there anyway? You've been doing this for as long as I've been alive, and you're still complaining about what the empire and boxes won't give you? If you think you have what it takes to get a great job, go after it. Otherwise quit complaining that your bosses are so inferior to you (that slapstick/pd-stick phrase that you and your clone/alter ego eye2 keep bandying about is tired. You need a new phrase) and suck it up. You're the one settling for less, and then complaining to all of us about it.

To those who say that higher certifications and education are a hindrance to getting a job, I say: You're right! It's a hindrance to getting a job you don't want. It won't be a hindrance in getting a great job. Take a long hard look in the mirror. Is there room for improvement? If you're not the best (that you can be), then you're not good enough.
    Last edited by Wes; 11-02-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or...

Don't bother wasting your time trying to find non-existant nationally available optician education. Don't worry about moving either. If you're going to go back to school anyway, get into a field that pays far better than opticianry does or ever will. There are a number of fields that you will find that offer the ability to stay where you live - perhaps even working from home in some cases. A six figure income on an AS or less is not as hard to imagine as truly nationally available opticianry education.

If you feel you must move - head to Canada instead. Pay far less than any "program" in the US, and be done with what you truly need in a fraction of the time the 2-4 year camp thinks it should take.

Just remember - at the end of the day, your paycheck will be FAR more controlled by demographics and marketing ability than your skill or knowledge. The public won't pay you any more for your "degree" in whatever. That *might* pay you more if you can convince them through a slick marketing campaign that they should - "education" or not.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Or...

Don't bother wasting your time trying to find non-existant nationally available optician education. Don't worry about moving either. If you're going to go back to school anyway, get into a field that pays far better than opticianry does or ever will. There are a number of fields that you will find that offer the ability to stay where you live - perhaps even working from home in some cases. A six figure income on an AS or less is not as hard to imagine as truly nationally available opticianry education.

If you feel you must move - head to Canada instead. Pay far less than any "program" in the US, and be done with what you truly need in a fraction of the time the 2-4 year camp thinks it should take.

Just remember - at the end of the day, your paycheck will be FAR more controlled by demographics and marketing ability than your skill or knowledge. The public won't pay you any more for your "degree" in whatever. That *might* pay you more if you can convince them through a slick marketing campaign that they should - "education" or not.
    Sure, if you're happy with your current lot in life, or if you don't like being an optician, or if you love the cold, these are great suggestions.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Uilleann;402117]

If you feel you must move - head to Canada instead. Pay far less than any "program" in the US, and be done with what you truly need in a fraction of the time the 2-4 year camp thinks it should take. QUOTE]

Head to Canada for your 6-month opticianry/contact lens education, and then come back to the USA with the skills and competencies that will wow any employer. And SAVE MONEY... the 18-months of class-time you save over a 2-yr degree will translate into 3000hrs of work-time, which will mean tens of thousands of $$$dollars in your pocket. And going to Canada for you education will show an 'initiative' on your resume that other job applicants may lack.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    You consistently miss the important points.
    There aren't that many employers who see the value of a great optician/manager, and even fewer that can pay for it.
    Only the BEST opticians available are going to get the great positions that are out there.
    Only the very best stand out, and the good are lumped in with the average and the awful.
    If you want the best, be the best. "Good enough" ISN'T!
    There aren't that many great opportunities available, and they will always go to whoever is the best available at the time.
    You may have to move to get them. So move.
    You may need a higher certification to get it, so earn one.
    You may need a degree to be considered, so go get it.
    Work on your communication skills (please).
    Don't sit on your past accomplishments, because while you do so, others are driving on and passing you by.
    When is the last time you added something significant to your resume?

Consistently complaining that the empire and the boxes won't pay you what (you think) you're worth puzzles me (perhaps a lesson in economics: you're only worth what someone will pay you). Why do you want to work there anyway? You've been doing this for as long as I've been alive, and you're still complaining about what the empire and boxes won't give you? If you think you have what it takes to get a great job, go after it. Otherwise quit complaining that your bosses are so inferior to you (that slapstick/pd-stick phrase that you and your clone/alter ego eye2 keep bandying about is tired. You need a new phrase) and suck it up. You're the one settling for less, and then complaining to all of us about it.

To those who say that higher certifications and education are a hindrance to getting a job, I say: You're right! It's a hindrance to getting a job you don't want. It won't be a hindrance in getting a great job. Take a long hard look in the mirror. Is there room for improvement? If you're not the best (that you can be), then you're not good enough.

Wow Wes nice dissertation on missing the point. And your diatribe is insulting and seeing how you write and condescending you are I wouldn't recommend anyone to go to you. I've met opticians like you who thing there Gods gift to Opticianary when in fact there just blow hards who couldn't hold a candle to an experienced optician.

Occupation
    Wow Wes, nice dissertation on missing the point. And your diatribe is insulting and seeing how you write and condescending you are I wouldn't recommend anyone to go to you (this makes no sense if read with logic). I've met opticians like you who thing there (do you mean they're?) God's gift to Opticianary (there is one A in Opticianry) when in fact there (again, do you mean they're?) just blow hards who couldn't hold a candle to an experienced optician.
    Did you proofread that mess you wrote before you hit "post"? It's no wonder you're still stuck interviewing at the empire and boxes. With writing skills like that, no matter how good of an optician you may be, no one will ever make you management. Your communication (writing) skills are sorely lacking, and you never addressed the point of my post. What have you done LATELY? Are you THE BEST in your area? Can you say you're a Certified Master Optician? You're the one looking for employment. You have to be IMPRESSIVE! Can you show proof of your academic prowess or your ability to lead others?

If your resume looks anything like your posts, you'll be forever stuck seeking employment with companies who will never value the OPTICIANRY skills you bring to the table. Do you still think you don't need some education? Sure, I'm getting your hackles up, but I hope I'm helping you. You're clearly not as well-rounded as you believe.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Wes;402152]Did you proofread that mess you wrote before you hit "post"? It's no wonder you're still stuck interviewing at the empire and boxes. With writing skills like that, no matter how good of an optician you may be, no one will ever make you management. Your communication (writing) skills are sorely lacking, and you never addressed the point of my post. What have you done LATELY? Are you THE BEST in your area? Can you say you're a Certified Master Optician? You're the one looking for employment. You have to be IMPRESSIVE! Can you show proof of your academic prowess or your ability to lead others?

If your resume looks anything like your posts, you'll be forever stuck seeking employment with companies who will never value the OPTICIANRY skills you bring to the table. Do you still think you don't need some education? Sure, I'm getting your hackles up, but I hope I'm helping you. You're clearly not as well-rounded as you believe.[/QUOT

Wes if I were you I would take a walk off a short pier and do all Opticianary a favor. Plezzzzz get a life!
    Your a first class blow hard and with those optical skills I see why your in SC!

Occupation
    [QUOTE=jediron1;402157]
    Did you proofread that mess you wrote before you hit "post"? It's no wonder you're still stuck interviewing at the empire and boxes. With writing skills like that, no matter how good of an optician you may be, no one will ever make you management. Your communication (writing) skills are sorely lacking, and you never addressed the point of my post. What have you done LATELY? Are you THE BEST in your area? Can you say you're a Certified Master Optician? You're the one looking for employment. You have to be IMPRESSIVE! Can you show proof of your academic prowess or your ability to lead others?

If your resume looks anything like your posts, you'll be forever stuck seeking employment with companies who will never value the OPTICIANRY skills you bring to the table. Do you still think you don't need some education? Sure, I'm getting your hackles up, but I hope I'm helping you. You're clearly not as well-rounded as you believe.[/QUOT

Wes if I were you I would take a walk off a short pier and do all Opticianary a favor. Plezzzzz get a life!
    Your a first class blow hard and with those optical skills I see why your in SC!
    Funny; you can't even quote someone properly. Your language skills are atrocious. You continue to make of yourself a fool, Sir.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If your resume looks anything like your posts, you'll be forever stuck seeking employment with companies who will never value the OPTICIANRY skills you bring to the table. Do you still think you don't need some education? Sure, I'm getting your hackles up, but I hope I'm helping you. You're clearly not as well-rounded as you believe.

I never said I was looking for employment! What I have is a NY license when it really was a license. That encorperated 3 and half days of testing from anatomy and physiology of the eye to algebra, geometric optics, contact lenses and lab. Then we had a half day practical. Then I went on to get my ABO and C.O.A. All to better myself and continue my education. Because I believe we never stop learning and too learn is to better one self. I have taught classes on geometric optics and lectured at Ophthalmology CE courses. So I believe my credentials speak for themselves.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Wes;402158]

Funny; you can't even quote someone properly. Your language skills are atrocious. You continue to make of yourself a fool, Sir.

Only a fool would know a fool.

Occupation
    I apologize, Sir. I shall offend you no further. Good day.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First off, I just happen to know Wes personally, and while I'm sure he doesn't need my help in a p###ing match, I will vouch for his skills. Second, I don't know what SC is like, I would think it's every bit as good as here, but I left my watered down NY license 11 years ago and moved to NC, at age 45. If you look up one of my recent posts, you will see that I am looking at retirement, so not to shabby here. The NC license is as hard as the NY one we both received back in the 70's, and to this day, not diluted. I got screwed for years in NY, and finally had enough, and left. I wish I had done this years ago, as the last 11 years have been great. Once the chains got the licensed watered down to dumb and dumber, we were all done.

I work 9-5, monday-friday, and make about 90% more than I did in NY. So when Wes said to search them out, he meant it. At least 4 others I have met thru optiboard are in the same pay area, way above the normal 35- 40k, but double plus. No one just gave it to us, we searched it out, sold ourselves, and cashed the checks.

I have been fortunate in the 37 years in this business, to have never worked in a big box or any kind of chain. This was by my own choice, as I never wanted to go that route.

Complain all you want, but some of us are doing just fine. As Sam Kinneson(sp) said, MOVE!

Occupation
    This is a man who followed the money to heaven and lived there for a while. We can all learn from him.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with SAM... Move!! Be prepared to ‘move’... for an education and then ‘move’ again... for advancement. It takes some guts to go this route, but it will get you out of your rut. And if you’re too gutless to ‘move’, then at least stop your snivellin’.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    I agree with SAM... Move!! Be prepared to ‘move’... for an education and then ‘move’ again... for advancement. It takes some guts to go this route, but it will get you out of your rut. And if you’re too gutless to ‘move’, then at least stop your snivellin’.

I never said I was looking for employment. If you read the post above I got my education and then some. I make around 45k per year so not to bad in western NY. As for his skills I couldn't say all I can say is what other opticians have told me and that is I'm one of the best opticians they have ever worked with. So here's an end to all this :poop:

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When a thread degenerates as far as this one has, we close it! Anyone disagreeing with this is welcome to contact Steve and make the case to re-open it. He can make the call.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information