Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Is Opticianry Dead?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I agree on the education. But still...

Here in Holland you can do two things if you want to be an optician go to school or learn from the boss. Most big companies like Pearle and Specsavers have their own school.
    I personally took the "real" school, did it part time. I was also lucky to have some old-rimer collegues who knew the trick of the trade. I did this, but the company I worked for wanted me to do an intnal education.

Now that I'm continuing my education as an optometrist I see the difference between the two educations. I know some internal schooled students, their education is primarely aimed at te refraction. Though they learn some basics, it's not as broad as the "real" one. That becomes painfully clear now.
    (...No, that's the cornea, not the lens... Really happend >_<)

I guess the big companies are just after the quick money. But it deflates the market.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Optical could be dead, if your let go by the Evil Empire of Sears and the person who let you go walks out with over 40 contacts w/o paying and nothing is said.
    Optical could be dead if we have no education.
    Optical could be dead if we have no training
    Optical could be dead if we have no education or training
    Optical could be dead if we continue to lay off or just get rid of people over 60
    Optical could be dead if we have online opticals that continue to take a slice of the pie they don't deserve

Just a little ranting. But the first one is a true story I saw it done!

As long as there bringing in the dollars apparently they don't care if stuff is taken! Unbelievable but I have seen it too!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    As long as there bringing in the dollars apparently they don't care if stuff is taken! Unbelievable but I have seen it too!

Apparently eye2 they don't care. But I was there when they put 40 contacts in there purse and went home and nothing was done or said!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    Does everyone understand the information I have posted? These are optical employees with at least three years of experience! If you understand it, please explain it to me.

From a pair of mounted bifocal lenses:
    Twenty-five percent cannot neutralize the distance portion of the lenses.
    Forty percent cannot determine the add power.
    Thirty-five percent cannot measure the distance between optical centers or measure the “near P.D.”
    Forty-eight percent cannot measure a seg height (+/- 2.0 mm).
    Twenty-five percent cannot measure the seg width of a visible bifocal.

Yes I believe we all get what your saying. If what you say is true then the hammer falls on two areas. 1. Schools that put out these people that can't do what you say and 2. Employers who hire and train people to do as little as possible with the only goal is how much can you sell. When the emphasis is put on selling an not on knowing the art or the rudentmenary elements of frames and lenses then you have so called opticians who can't tell a pd stick from slap stick.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mactire View Post
    I agree on the education. But still...

Here in Holland you can do two things if you want to be an optician go to school or learn from the boss. Most big companies like Pearle and Specsavers have their own school.
    I personally took the "real" school, did it part time. I was also lucky to have some old-rimer collegues who knew the trick of the trade. I did this, but the company I worked for wanted me to do an intnal education.

Now that I'm continuing my education as an optometrist I see the difference between the two educations. I know some internal schooled students, their education is primarely aimed at te refraction. Though they learn some basics, it's not as broad as the "real" one. That becomes painfully clear now.
    (...No, that's the cornea, not the lens... Really happend >_<)

I guess the big companies are just after the quick money. But it deflates the market.

Exactly what I have saying through all these posts! Glad to see someone gets it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What other trades or "professions" would be a good career choice for those that want to get out of opticianry?

Do we have any "transferable" skills?
    Real sales skills?
    Mechanical skills?

For those that are not college grads, or have picked up opticianry with "On the job Training", are we employable to others outside of this business as we are?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopterman View Post
    What other trades or "professions" would be a good career choice for those that want to get out of opticianry?

Real sales skills?
    Mechanical skills?

For those that are not college grads, or have picked up opticianry with "On the job Training", are we employable to others outside of this business as we are?
    Hmmmmm...interesting question.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Real sales skills?
    Mechanical skills?

I assume that a lower paying job would not be acceptable as a way out of opticianry. But the only sales skills an optician would likely possess is retail sales. Normally a lower pay rate in other retail products like shoes or clothing. Although you might make a decent living selling cell phones because of the long contracts and high commission.

Not the same as professional sales jobs like a frame rep where you have to go out and make a sale. Much harder to do.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Generally your skills in sales might be best appreciated by employers. I had a car dealership chase me for a year trying to get me to work for them after I interviewed with them on a lark. I've been offered real estate jobs though right now I'm glad I'm not in that boat.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know an ABOM that got out of optics and sells cars.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Real sales skills?
    Mechanical skills?

Does a Neuro surgeon have skills outside his profession or a plumber. What about nurses? Can they build a house, fix a pair of glasses or do a plumbing repair? I for one am a fair plumber and my carpentry skills are pretty good.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You could become a serviceman for on line purchased glasses. $ 10.00 for checking the Rx. $ 25.00 for adjustments and re-adjustments. plus other services at whatever you want to charge. Just need

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There is a partial solution to bringing onboard non-licensed States to combat the “Is Opticianry Dead?” issue... condensed, shorter-term opticianry education.
    Why scare entrants into this field by mandating a 2-year (or heaven, even a 4-yr) opticianry program when you already have 6-9 month private opticianry programs offering entry-level opticianry training that cover the needed competencies. This is not dumbing-down educational standards in an industry. Rather, it makes education more accessible to those that need it.
    Persons in non-licensed States refuse to spend 2-years or more training for this vocation which is OD and OMD exempt (and who chase the same optical dollar). They simply cannot afford to do without a family income for this length of time. But most can bite the bullet and spend 6-9 months in opticianry career training.
    2-yr public programs will never agree, but unfortunately store ownership is and will be unattainable for the vast majority of opticians, so advanced training in management/ownership competencies should be left to those that want it, but on their own time.
    Until this simple premise is understood and accepted by the so-called leaders in this field, Opticianry may well be on its deathbed in the USA.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    T.Morse:
    You doan seem to realize that "education" is the key to success. With same you can protest in many cities. You can get the government to forgive your student loans whether you get a job or not. You will auchomaticly be steered away from a life of crime, proverty and military service. You auchomaticly be one of de elite of society. After you gits educasemunt as a real, bonofied optrician you can still get the same wages you would git if you walked in offn de street.
    Cudo's for your posting, it's right on.

Some seem to think that educashment will be like a Phd. and allow you to get tenure with a lifetime job whether you produce anything or not. Even whether you bother to show up and instruct students or not. We all jus knows bout dem govmunt grants to de optical business. Note even the scholar ships furnished by de major optical companies goin to de O.D.'s not us peons.

It's a trade, now being an optical engineer or high tech person in optical design or at Edmund's Scientific is a different matter entirely. But eing a dispenser in a doctor's office is more: "You go convince that woman she needs $300.00 frames and super high tech $500.00 lenses."

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    T.Morse:
    You doan seem to realize that "education" is the key to success. With same you can protest in many cities. You can get the government to forgive your student loans whether you get a job or not. You will auchomaticly be steered away from a life of crime, proverty and military service. You auchomaticly be one of de elite of society. After you gits educasemunt as a real, bonofied optrician you can still get the same wages you would git if you walked in offn de street.
    Cudo's for your posting, it's right on.

Some seem to think that educashment will be like a Phd. and allow you to get tenure with a lifetime job whether you produce anything or not. Even whether you bother to show up and instruct students or not. We all jus knows bout dem govmunt grants to de optical business. Note even the scholar ships furnished by de major optical companies goin to de O.D.'s not us peons.

It's a trade, now being an optical engineer or high tech person in optical design or at Edmund's Scientific is a different matter entirely. But eing a dispenser in a doctor's office is more: "You go convince that woman she needs $300.00 frames and super high tech $500.00 lenses."

Chip

So we're car salesman but we only work in the boxes or docs office! Nice Chip! Really? :poop:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jed: Me thinks you miss the sarcasm. But as your observation, I fear this is all too true for most in the "profession."

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sar-chasm: the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Sar-chasm: the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Ye that live in glass houses should not be casting stones. And I was aware of the sarcasm but I was pointing to Chips obvious conclusion but then it wasn't so obvious.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Ye that live in glass houses should not be casting stones. And I was aware of the sarcasm but I was pointing to Chips obvious conclusion but then it wasn't so obvious.
    Note to self: ^^^^^ this person^^^^^ has no sense of humor.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geeze, why isn't this thread dead yet?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dead

To get a good idea of what is going on in opticianary, all you have to do is scroll down to the very bottom of the screen, where all the facts and figures are posted.

there is about 12,000 members, there are 1200 active apx, anyone see the problem?

the figures are on the bottom of the home page

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    OptiBoard Discussion Forums Statistics Threads 43,314Posts 393,409Members 19,656Active Members 1,446
    = 7.36 %
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    And I was told that the best way to lose my job as a GSM with the Empire was to become involved in my state association. I called his bluff and have remained active on the state and national level since 1991.
    They cannot stop anyone from pursuing an education or certification or activitism on behalf of your chosen profession. They can make it difficult, sometimes difficult enough to quit, but they cannot stop you. "They" don't own you; they employ you.

You missed the point! The point being the store manager ( where i interviewed ) at the Empire placed NO value on getting an education or a license because as he said " they don't require it of me ". So as I was trying to point out the The Boxes and places like the Empire do just by there being influence whether the people get a license or education. It's Slight influence but it's still an influence.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    "Help us understand a way to help future Opticians."

1. Get laws that strictly define the act of dispensing.
    2. Get laws that restrict the practice of dispensing to qualified persons with proper education.
    3. Make sure someone enforces the law.

This will decrease the supply of and increase demand for opticians, thereby raising incomes. Problem solved.

Ontario got as far as step 2.

Most states that licensed have these already in place but they like NY lack the one thing noted, they don't enforce any of the above!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally Posted by LandLord
    "Help us understand a way to help future Opticians."

1. Get laws that strictly define the act of dispensing.
    2. Get laws that restrict the practice of dispensing to qualified persons with proper education.
    3. Make sure someone enforces the law.

This will decrease the supply of and increase demand for opticians, thereby raising incomes. Problem solved.

Ontario got as far as step 2.

As Landlord has said 1. Let's get laws that strictly define what an optician can do. In NY you are not supposed to dispense off an expired rx but I've seen it done and reported to state and they did nothing. I saw a person take 40 contact lenses and nothing was ever said. I heard of a person working off of a non- registered license and from what people have told nothing has been done to stop that. So the laws are there but there not being enforced! And NY is most lackadaisical state you ever saw unless your in politics!

Thread Information