Thread: WOW what is happening at Sears Optical

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WOW what is happening at Sears Optical

I was just looking at the job bank at The Opticians Association of American and was in awe of how many jobs were posted as help wanted in the southern part of NY and Long Island for Sears Optical. So what is happening at Sears?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I have gathered is Sears has been in the process of getting rid of a lot of older employees and hiring Dim Wits as regional managers who can't tell a pd stick from slap stick! Now they have them selfs in a pickle where they won't hire back the people they go and they are hoping they can find enough rooks to take there place. Good luck Sears your going to need it. Glad I don't work there! Back to work!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kind of thought that is what was happening. But when you see over 30 stores looking kind of makes you wonder what's up!

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Bottom line is Lux Retail only makes money through LC. Sears Optical is getting dumbed down - as is Pearle and it will happen to LC (already is around here).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Bottom line is Lux Retail only makes money through LC. Sears Optical is getting dumbed down - as is Pearle and it will happen to LC (already is around here).

Checking with people I know at Sears what your saying doesn't seem to be true. What I have been told is you can only let so many people go before your labor pool dries up. Look if your getting rid of all your older baby boomers your going to be left with a hugh shortage because the baby boomers constantitued a very large population pool to draw from and if you let them go ( which they are ) your left with stores that normally run on 4 opticians now are run on 2. Sears has in the past hired bone headed no optical skill RM's who were told to get rid of the old people. They are now flopping around the optical world trying to figure out what to do because they can't fill these vacancies. Because what I'm told when they let some one go they mark on there termination paper " do not rehire " so instead of having a back log of people to call on there pool of viable people has now shrunk to an unmanageable level. Just my 2 cents!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Checking with people I know at Sears what your saying doesn't seem to be true. What I have been told is you can only let so many people go before your labor pool dries up. Look if your getting rid of all your older baby boomers your going to be left with a hugh shortage because the baby boomers constantitued a very large population pool to draw from and if you let them go ( which they are ) your left with stores that normally run on 4 opticians now are run on 2. Sears has in the past hired bone headed no optical skill RM's who were told to get rid of the old people. They are now flopping around the optical world trying to figure out what to do because they can't fill these vacancies. Because what I'm told when they let some one go they mark on there termination paper " do not rehire " so instead of having a back log of people to call on there pool of viable people has now shrunk to an unmanageable level. Just my 2 cents!

So basically your saying there letting people go who have a great deal of knowledge and no apprentices to pass down there knowledge too. Other industries have made that same mistake just look at the ship building industry.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    One look at a Luxottica shareholders yearly reports shows that LC is the only profitable arm of Lux Retail. Those profits need to be spread across all of Lux Retail - so when Sears and the rest aren't pulling their share what goes? Quality employees are replaced, idiots are put in their stead for a lot less money and the focus is on sales, not service.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    One look at a Luxottica shareholders yearly reports shows that LC is the only profitable arm of Lux Retail. Those profits need to be spread across all of Lux Retail - so when Sears and the rest aren't pulling their share what goes? Quality employees are replaced, idiots are put in their stead for a lot less money and the focus is on sales, not service.

I would ditto that!

Thread Information