Thread: Attracting Patients/Customers to Your Independent Practice

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question Attracting Patients/Customers to Your Independent Practice

What successful method(s) seem to continuously draw patients in? Also, with big box and internet retailers becoming more dominant, is patient retention steady, increasing or declining?

A new innovative concept is currently under development for independents and in the early stages is revealing some very encouraging positive data. Once validated, I would like to include your feedback as part of my research data.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    RB

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rob ,you would get a better response by explaining more about the 'innovative concept" . Just saying there is a "innovative concept" does not invite response.

My guess is that patient retention would be declining as the interent is setting the new price standard for the perception of eyewear value. There are things that could be done about this at the regulatory levels and at the optician and optomotery levels but it is not happening nor will it.

Opticians and Optometrists need to start filing formal complaints against illegal dispensers. That would start to clean up the apathy and the regulatories. Geographically restricting adwords users would also help to stop the low price advertising by illegals and shore up the perception of value problem.

Pharmacy just won a 500 million settlement against GOOGLE on these same issues. We can do the same .

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Rob ,you would get a better response by explaining more about the 'innovative concept" . Just saying there is a "innovative concept" does not invite response.

My guess is that patient retention would be declining as the interent is setting the new price standard for the perception of eyewear value. There are things that could be done about this at the regulatory levels and at the optician and optomotery levels but it is not happening nor will it.

Opticians and Optometrists need to start filing formal complaints against illegal dispensers. That would start to clean up the apathy and the regulatories. Geographically restricting adwords users would also help to stop the low price advertising by illegals and shore up the perception of value problem.

Pharmacy just won a 500 million settlement against GOOGLE on these same issues. We can do the same .
    The first paragraph of my post is the simplified question to which I am seeking responses for continued data compilation - the launch will proceed in due time.

As to the politics, no comment. In regards to the issues surrounding our industry, the lack of action is what partially fueled my concept.

I appreciate your response, but I'm looking for more detailed feedback including successful/non-successful method(s) and hard facts on retention rates.

I have received many informative PM's and emails already, so thanks to all those folks and keep 'em coming!

Regards,
    RB

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you were Coca-Cola and someone asked you for the recipe for Coke, would you give it out? I don't think so. In this time of optical turmoil, if a sucessfull strategy, were available, at an independent office (and bringing in more clients from the competion) I would think that it would be locked away in a safe, so that no one else would use it. Why would I give away a sucessfull marketing idea to my competitors? Why would I spread my sucess all over the internet? And mostly, why would I let the "BIG GUYS" get their hands on it ????????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You raise a good point Coupe, yet if the enemy is the unauthorized then a joint effort is necessary to counteract the lowering of the percieved value of our goods and services to preserve our profession. In this respect the branding campaign by OCC has value on a national level that we need to continue on with .

If Rob has an idea then should we not give him a chance to develop it ? There are not many out there with good ideas . You can contirbute to his collection of data through a private message to him or choose not to .

I do understand your point of view and it is not wrong .

There are times when it will require a strong unified effort to make changes . This industry is not known for collaboration, but this must change .

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    If you were Coca-Cola and someone asked you for the recipe for Coke, would you give it out? I don't think so. In this time of optical turmoil, if a sucessfull strategy, were available, at an independent office (and bringing in more clients from the competion) I would think that it would be locked away in a safe, so that no one else would use it. Why would I give away a sucessfull marketing idea to my competitors? Why would I spread my sucess all over the internet? And mostly, why would I let the "BIG GUYS" get their hands on it ????????
    I'm not asking for 'secrets' or Colonel Saunders secret batter recipe, more for 'success stories', through this forum or confidential PM/email. This is honest and legit as can be - and no I do not work fort the 'BIG GUYS'; I'm a small 100% independent supplier just like most out there making an honest living. This is not a commercial or advertisment - I am looking to compile additional data...

I am not hiding through an alias, so as I mentioned earlier, I welcome PM's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pardon us for being skeptical...Rob, but in today's professional and business climate, I doubt that independents are willing to share anything more than a "glossy brochure" of info. We have seen large and small companies promise many things, some have come up with some great ideas, some not so great. Jaded.....perhaps, but that is probably part of the survival secret!

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Rob, great idea on your part. Only problem is there are very few strategies for competing against the internet and big boxes when it comes to product sales.

As for undervaluing the perception of services... we've done it to ourselves. By selling glasses at a retail markup and offering free services, we are the ones showing customers where the value is and is not.

We can't preach "educating the consumer" because the consumer is already well educated by us. If we don't value our own services, then who will?
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you are saying we need to unbundle the retail markup from the service then charge service fees? The banks have certainly set the standard for service fees .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    So you are saying we need to unbundle the retail markup from the service then charge service fees? The banks have certainly set the standard for service fees .
    exactly what I'm saying.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Hey Rob, great idea on your part. Only problem is there are very few strategies for competing against the internet and big boxes when it comes to product sales. <<My concept includes many tools to address this and the ability to effectively compete>>

As for undervaluing the perception of services... we've done it to ourselves. By selling glasses at a retail markup and offering free services, we are the ones showing customers where the value is and is not. <<correct, but is salvageable>>

We can't preach "educating the consumer" because the consumer is already well educated by us. If we don't value our own services, then who will? <<Today's consumer is very smart and saavy - however....although price ranks high on list of importance, service ranks equally as important - both of which internet sellers and big box are unable to provide>>
    The irony in all of this is that most 'independant' practices provide an acceptable level of service to consumers. The big box retailers think they do, but certainly do not cut it - I have recently mystery shopped a few of these chains and I was absolutely dumbfounded as to the lack of 'service' and 'inexperience' I received from these places, not to mention the false information provided.

The independent is at a huge advantage in my mind.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    The irony in all of this is that most 'independant' practices provide an acceptable level of service to consumers.
    This statement may be at the root of your original query"What successful method(s) seem tocontinuously draw patients in?" If your business model is to "provide an acceptable level of service" youwill soon find yourself as just another run of the mill operation. Thesuccessful provider is one who exceeds customer expectations and in fact "delights all who cross his threshold."
    The cheese gets binding when you have to determine whatbusiness practices will accomplish this goal. Every practice has unique patientdemographic characteristics for example what works for a primarily welfarepractice will not apply in West Palm Beach.
    Hopefully one has access to practice management software toanalyze this vital information.
    Ya gotta know where you are before you can plot a course towhere you want to go!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The irony in all of this is that most 'independant' practices provide an acceptable level of service to consumers.
    This statement may be at the root of your original query "What successful method(s) seem to continuously draw patients in?" If your business model is to "provide an acceptable level of service" you will soon find yourself as just another run of the mill operation. The successful provider is one who exceeds customer expectations and in fact "delights all who cross his threshold."

The cheese gets binding when you have to determine what business practices will accomplish this goal. Every practice has unique patient demographic characteristics for example what works for a primarily welfare practice will not apply in West Palm Beach.

Hopefully one has access to practice management software to analyze this vital information.

Ya gotta know where you are before you can plot a course to where you want to go!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @rbaker: Thanks for posting twice.....your first one gave me a headache!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The irony in all of this is that most 'independant' practices provide an acceptable level of service to consumers. The big box retailers think they do, but certainly do not cut it - I have recently mystery shopped a few of these chains and I was absolutely dumbfounded as to the lack of 'service' and 'inexperience' I received from these places, not to mention the false information provided.

The independent is at a huge advantage in my mind.
    I agree with everything you said except the part about big boxes not providing service.

"Today's consumer is very smart and saavy - however....although price ranks high on list of importance, service ranks equally as important - both of which internet sellers and big box are unable to provide."

You obviously haven't seen Consumer Reports eyeglass ranking:

http://bit.ly/cIqDZq

This biggest mistake ECPs make is to underestimate big boxes and the internet.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Good U.S. based article, but in direct contrast to the information on the Canadian market I have been compiling.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you say "direct contrast" I doubt you mean that Costco comes last in Canada.

Independents might be rated best service by the very same customers who then go purchase glasses online. Is dynamic, 1950s service-with-a-smile enough to keep customers? Obviously not if internet retailers are becoming more prominent. Obviously not if we need "new innovative concepts" like yours to get our customers back.

Regardless, I'd be interested to see if you come up with anything unique. I hope you do for everyones sake.

Thread Information