Thread: Changes in Florida Boards

OptiBoard Apprentice FloridaEyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Changes in Florida Boards

So the State of Florida is moving to the National Committee of State Opticianary and Regulatory Boards (NCSORB), Who is familiar with this and am I better off taking the exam as scheduled now in October or waiting until next year for this exam? Does anyone know which one is better, easier etc. Thanks!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you know your stuff it shouldn't matter. If you don't you ain't ready for either yet.

I know the educational system today believes in studying for the test, but this doesn't work in the real world, studying for knowledge of the subject at hand does.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 09-05-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: more to say

OptiBoard Apprentice FloridaEyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wave New Florida Boards

So if anyone other than Chip has information on the new boards I am interested in hearing about what the test is like. How do you use a lensometer on the computer? Is is more formula based. I am not concerned about passing anything, but an extra $600 back in my pocket would feel very nice.

I look forward to responses that are actually useful since I am sure a lot of people will need information on this once the word is out more than it is now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The test from what I have heard is all computer generated to test all aspects of the practice act. The test will probably be very comprehensive because it has portions that in the past were not tested. In the past, the practical was straight forward with neutrailzation, lens ID and simply and adjustment in front of a proctor with a life subject (Usually girls from the testing unit). The laws and rule test was basically a memorization of the rules and later on I believe that it became a class. This test will be validated using the same concept as the JCAHPO computer generated tests. Some of the aspects of our practice act are very similar as some of the JCAHPO requirements such as the contact lens fitting portion. I am sure if you went to school or have many years of spectacle dispensing you will do fine but I will strongly reccomend that you polish your skills in contact lens fitting, adaptations and dispensing for this test because you will be tested. Florida allows opicians to fit, fill, adapt and dispense any kind of contact lens if your a licensed optician under the supervision of an OMD or OD and if you become Florida board certified after taking a course,you can independently fit soft daily contact lenses (90% of all fits are daily wear soft CLs).

In fact, a JCAHPO representative met with our state board to provide insight of how it was done and how similar some concepts are. It will be interesting because for the first time opticians will be expected to know contact lenses in a practical state board.

Thread Information