View Poll Results: Which fast food chain is the best?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • McDonald's

6 10.53%
  • Burger King

3 5.26%
  • Wendy's

13 22.81%
  • Chick-Filet

6 10.53%
  • Hardees

0 0%
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken

5 8.77%
  • White Castle / Krystal Burger

1 1.75%
  • Subway

11 19.30%
  • Arbys

4 7.02%
  • Other

8 14.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best fast food chain?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Which is the best fast food chain?

Just to start out this poll, let me also encourage anyone with complaints about fast food establishments to feel free to vent away!

Here's my latest rant...
    Who in hades designed the McDonald's supersize cup??? The thing is bladder-busting huge (which is the idea if you are supersizing a meal), but its impossible to fit into a cup holder!

I drive a big SUV (Ford Expedition), and none of the 6 cup holders are large enough to accommodate this behemoth of a cup! Burger King at least had the common sense to make the base of their "King Size" narrow enough to fit into a cup holder. Additionally, McD's seems to be the only chain that hasn't figured out that a cup that large needs to be made out of something sturdier than wax paper! As a result, when you grasp the drink (and you have to hold on, cause it probably weighs over a pound and a half when full), the sides of the cup depress and seperate from the lid.

I want to know the name of the engineering firm that put together the McD supersize cup! They should face a lawsuit with large punitive sums just for the inconvenience they've put on their customers!
    :angry:
    PS- Yes, I do realize that- if this is the most annoying thing in my life- I have it pretty good. I thank God daily for my blessings and ask only that He send sulfur and brimstone on McDonald's HQ.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Anything with bottomless coke:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wendy's because:

1. They're across the street from my store and even though I usually eat my Lean Cusines at lunch, sometimes I just have to get a burger.

2. They're fast.

3. They're friendly, even if they don't speak English particularly well, and a smile doesn't need much translation.

4. The food is not too bad for fast food.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I voted other. I picked SUBWAY...if that counts. They have come a long way in offering a delicious meal at a reasonable price. All kinds of choices, and you get to watch them make it AND tell them HOW to make it.

The last time I was at Hardees, the question came back to me over the drive through speaker.." Do you want any sauce on your dippers?" I was laughing so hard, I was cying! I couldnt even answer but if I could have I would have something like this..."Thats kind of a personal question dont you think?"

McDonalds has the BEST fries but the worst service. They are ALWAYS skimping on napkins. In fact, if you dont ask for them, you dont get em. As a father of 2 young boys, They usually do offer the best happy meal toys though. (As does Arbies)

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What?!? No White Castle???? How could you exclude the home of those addictive little steamed burgers?

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    I have not voted for any of the above on the basis that none of it is actually food !

Your mouth gets bored and convinces you that you need to chew. McDonalds & Co. is nothing better than deluxe chewing gum.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I voted for Mc D's only because of the fries......

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

AAHHHH! the BK Lounge is the only place!

With all due respect to 10P and John R if he chooses to join in, no one in the UK should be permitted to comment on a hamburger.You've never had a good one so frankly you're over your head when it comes to judging.I visited Mickie D's while in London just to see if it was the same.......It wasn't! While in Ireland I tried Super Macs (even have the bumper sticker to prove it) Super Macs were anything BUT super.

Now, the Whopper with Cheese, and perhaps a couple of slices of bacon is a lunch you can get excited about.I usually enjoy this with a glass of milk, and follow it up with a Hershey's pie.It doesn't get any better than that.

Pardiner, I AM suprised at you........White Castle indeed! (are they still 15 cents??) You need a 5X magnifier to find one on a plate.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today! :bbg:

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    KFC, but only because I don't eat red meat and the other places are rather skimpy in their non-beef choices.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar

Re: AAHHHH! the BK Lounge is the only place!

hcjilson said:
    With all due respect to 10P and John R if he chooses to join in, no one in the UK should be permitted to comment on a hamburger.You've never had a good one so frankly you're over your head when it comes to judging.I visited Mickie D's while in London just to see if it was the same.......It wasn't! While in Ireland I tried Super Macs (even have the bumper sticker to prove it) Super Macs were anything BUT super.
    As I'm not included in that list and have eaten at fast food joints in US, Canada, Australia, UK et al. I feel free to say that I like the ice cream at Dairy Queen best of all and prefer Burger King to Mac"World domination is our aim"Donalds soooooooo much.

Although had the wierdest Pizzas at Australian Pizza Huts (but that's almost gourmet in the fast food hall of fame).

Still think Fish and Chips is the best fast food in the world, but that's a British thing. Yorkshire best place to get them although I have a soft spot for Haggis and chips which you can get north of the border in Scotland. Still haven't tried the infamous Scottish deep fried Mars Bar though!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In all fairness...

It was probably an error of omission rather than comission that In and Out Burger wasn't included in the list.While they are a regional chain (CA,AZ), and their hamburgers are mediocre at best, their french fries are absolute perfection.

They are hand cut, almost right in front of you by a neat little machine I'd like to have at home, then deep fried in fresh oil.They come out crunchy on the surface and soft in the middle.The first time I tried them I was impressed by the amount they served with the burger.I don't particularly like french fries and thought I'd not even dent the serving.After I had the first one, I couldn't stop eating them.AWESOME!!!!

Now when I visit my daughter in San Diego, I purposefully do not eat on the plane, and go from the airport directly to In and Out.If you are ever visiting CA and see one, stop in and see for yourself.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Steve,
    You should try the new Chicken Whopper at BK (but there's no way I'm gonna cluck like a chicken at the drive through to save $0.50!)... Pretty good stuff! As for red meat, I guess I'll "bite" (pun intended). Is it for health, humanitarian, or some other reason that you refrain from eating red meat?

Just curious...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said:
    Is it for health, humanitarian, or some other reason that you refrain from eating red meat?
    Health. We have a history of colon cancer in our family and red meat is strongly linked to this particular cancer. I was a vegetarian for a few years but I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet so I started eating pultry again.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

I chose Wendy's because their chili is the best!, I usually get the chili with a "spicy chicken sandwich"; another fast-food place would be Quizno's, they have really great sub's! did y'all know that McD's fries are so good because they flavor them with beef...bad because my daughter loves fries but is allergic to beef...and Whataburger's have the best Jalapeno cheesburgers...

The best 'fast' food I've ever had was at 12AM in Glasgow in a place called Canton Express.

After a few, er, medicinal(!?!) drinks I had one of the best sweet & sours I'ver ever had, served at the speed of a Big Mac. Choose from about 30 Chinese dishes all ready to be put on a plate. Magic.

I can't comment on the quality of burger chain's food in the US, but I'm afraid the earlier post was right- BK and McDonalds are only just above pet food in the UK (ONLY JUST).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's gotta be Chick-fil-A. Began more than 50 years ago right here in Georgia. Hapeville, Georgia, that is. Mr. Truett Cathy with his brother began a good thing. Pressure fried breast of chicken filet.

I also have to admire Mr. Truett Cathy for how he has made a long standing practice of hiring young people and rewarding them with scholarships for good work service. A lot of young people have come through working in the Chick-fil-A restaurants and wound up with a college education. Mr. Cathy is also very active still in other community charitable functions as well as his local church in Jonesboro, Georgia.

And also did I mention that I really do love Chick-fil-A sandwiches. If you've never had one, you need to try one. Maybe when you come to Georgia for the national meeting in July.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I picked other- My favorite is Bakers. I don't know if they are only in So Cal, haven't seen any anywhere else but they have the American menu (burgers, fries) and the Mexican menu (tacos, burritos). They are very affordable, make their milkshakes with REAL ice cream and the one right by my house is filled with very nice friendly employees -which is not a usual occurance out here!! I don't red meat either (due to digestive issues ) and they make a great rice & bean burrito with sour cream!!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had to pick McD's. They're about 2 blocks from me and in the morning when you are running late and NEED something to eat it's the perfect place to stop. All the other fast food places are across town from me. (Ok, it's a small town and would only take 10 minutes to go somewhere else, but I'm lazy lol)
    Though, I do have to wonder, what type of degree in "duh" to you have to get to work there? I've waitressed before and it's not all that hard to get someone's order right.
    Oh well, guess it's nice to know maybe I'm overqualfied for one job?
    :o

Suzy W

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A review of every fast-food place I have eaten in, both here and abroad.

On the issue of McDonald's around the world, I have had UK, US and Majorcan. The UK and US were the same, and the Majorcan was the best. You got the most stuff on your burger, it was bigger, and it was also cheaper than here.

The best fast food here is McDonald's again, as the Chicken Supreme and that 99p chicken thing they just brought out beat anything from Burger King hands down. Also BK's chocolate milkshake is frankly substandard. KFC is OK, but their insistence on making you have Vienetta icecream loses them points.
    We recently got a Subway near work, and whilst they beat pasty shops such as Burneys, they have a way to go before they equal the burger giants.

In the US, I visited many fast food places. McDonalds was good but they were having some sort of shopfit, so we ate in rubble. Wendy's had the best food, but I couldn't understand what they said, nor they me, so Pete had to order for me. I can't remember the name of the one that we went to with Darryl Meister, but it was fairly ****.

So, Wendy's in the US, McD's here.

I hope this has been of help to you all :)

We had a Subway open up near us recently.

It's OK if you want a frescetta ciabatta with lighty drizzled go go plant juice smothered in three african goat cheeses and a serving of polynesian cham steak marinaded in scandinavian's breast milk. But you try asking for a ham butty on a pair of white sliced. A WHAT??!

Try the KFC way- have whatever type of meat you like as long as it's chicken. With chicken gravy. Shame the fries are the cr*p side of manky AND they have a policy of employing the most fat a*sed butt ugly staff on the planet bar none.

Plus, talking about value KFC, not everybody wants 243 bits of unidentifiable 'chicken' in a lard bucket with the now infamous Vienneta and a side order of heated-all-week beans. How about understanding the needs of the individual eater for a while?

And while I'm at it- Who actually ENJOYS those f*cking circular green vegetable like lumps of camel snot McDs put into every burger. I don't. And then BK insist on putting half a goddam green grocers on top of every 'flame grilled' whopper. The only whopper involved is the lies they tell about people actually preferring them to anybody else. 78% of people surveyed thought your fries SUCK and would rather suck the nipples off an angry rabied llama.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Chick-fil-a has a wonderful chicken biscuit on their breakfast menu. Their sandwiches are quite good as well. O particularly enjoy the cow who encourages us all to "Eat Mor Chikin".
    When I was in Germany, I was a little surprised to see that McDonalds served beer (I say a LITTLE surprised because, well, it WAS Germany The restaurants were a lot nicer, as were the staff. Also, the KFCs there used real plates and silverware instead of paper and plastic stuff.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

WAFFLE HOUSE!!!

Ah yes... the American restaurant which Maria rightly remembered as **** is none other than Waffle House. After all, one hasn't truly seen the epitomy of American substandard cuisine until one has eaten under the yellow and black sign at 4am (to its credit, however, perhaps the executive management of Waffle House realizes that their clientele is pretty much composed of drunks who have run out of places to party and figures "why waste good food on people who will never know the difference?").
    :D
    Diane,
    Another thing to like about Chic-Filet is the fact that they aren't open on Sundays (the little kid in me who barely remembers Blue Laws finds that comfortingly nostalgic).

Tex,
    Quizno's is pretty great for their subs! I completely forgot about them...

karen,
    I wonder if Baker's is called "Steak and Shake" here... they have great milkshakes.

Another fast food place no one has mentioned (but one that I really do like and forgot about) is Taco Bell. Gorditos, yummmm! Boston Market is pretty good stuff for fast food as well.

PS- Its pretty understandable why people who are allergic to- or could possibly hasten their death from the consumption of- red meats would refrain. However, I would point out (out of a concern that comes from the bottom of my heart) that studies have shown that vegetarians have shorter lifespans than omnivorous humans!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Blake said:
    When I was in Germany, I was a little surprised to see that McDonalds served beer (I say a LITTLE surprised because, well, it WAS Germany
    Was the beer on the dollar menu?:bbg:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wendy's get's my vote. Fast, friendly, clean, edible.

I won't go down the "international" list of fast food places I've eaten at, but I will say that McDonald's is only McDonalds when it's here in the States. Overall, I'd say McDonalds has some of the nastiest (or maybe I just order what nobody else does and mine is always under the heat lamp for weeks) food I have ever tasted.

I'm leaving for a coast-to-coast drive across the US, and am looking forward to T/A and Flying J Truckstops. Nothing like beef stew at 3:00am.

How in the world do Waffle Houses stay in business ? Whatever happened to Stuckey's ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gotta be Chick-fil-A.

I remember when I was younger going to the mall in Cali and we always stopped to have a Chik-fil-A and an Orange Julius. I was so excited when one finally made it here to Indiana. I wonder if it is a sad thing when the manager knows you by sight.

Pressure fried chicken is the best. Very tender, and the lemonade is the best I ever had. Loved it so much I hunted down the recipies for both the lemonade and the chicken..

They seem to enjoy having toys with enrichment purposes. Seeds and plastic garden tool, Veggie Tales stuff, books, etc...

Though Wendy's is my son's favorite expecially now that they have games sometimes in the kids meals.

Cassandra

Thread Information