View Poll Results: Which fast food chain is the best?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • McDonald's

6 10.53%
  • Burger King

3 5.26%
  • Wendy's

13 22.81%
  • Chick-Filet

6 10.53%
  • Hardees

0 0%
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken

5 8.77%
  • White Castle / Krystal Burger

1 1.75%
  • Subway

11 19.30%
  • Arbys

4 7.02%
  • Other

8 14.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best fast food chain?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ah Pete, and others, one doesn't go to the Waffle House for the food (tho I admit I like the plain waffle), you go for the entertainment. Chain-smoking, gruff voiced, teeth missing waitresses. Nearly extinct fry-cooks putting out plate after plate with only the wait-staff yelling in the orders. And, the customers? Oh, that is a story in itself.

Given that most (all?) chain food is abysmal, I often vote for the entertainment.

P.S. We were recently traveling thru Thermopolis, WY. (Absolutely wonderful little town pretty much in the middle of WY replete with thermal hot springs--ergo the name--and a wild buffalo enclave. From there, we traveled thru an incredibly beautiful mountain pass topping off of 9636 feet!) The $28 a nite motel didn't have coffee in the room so we stopped by a McD's. After I'd paid for coffee and juice, a cowboy (yes Maria, they still exist) came in and asked for the senior discount for coffee--30 cents. I asked how one qualified for the discount; once told, I said I qualified. The counter-person replied that I didn't look old enuf. Tho I had I.D. to prove that I did, I chose not to challange the compliment and left, having paid full price.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was a kid, it was Gino's..as in Everybody goes to Gino's...

When I moved to DC, I discovered Roy Rogers. Marriott's big mistake was selling the and converting them to Hardee's.

BUT, still the King of them all.....Polock Johnny's, home of the unburger....I don't even think there are anymore of them left......the best one was on the Block in Balmer! Good food and a great floor show outside the big picture window!:bbg:
    Last edited by EyeManFla; 05-18-2002 at 05:37 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Right on, Harry!

In-n-Out Burger is supreme.
    But, there's a California basd chain called "TOGO's" that runs circles around Subway . . . . part of the Baskin Robbins family.
    And, Pete, you're so right about Waffle House.
    The food is so greasy that if you walk outside in 100+ weather after eating there you automatically start turning golden brown.
    But, at least everybody who works there says goodby when you leave in the key of G!
    D'Dum, Dum!

As far as I'm concerned, the best food chain is the one you're on top of.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sad news re: Wendy's

I am grief stricken!
    Dave Thomas is gone . . . RIP,
    and the chili I really used to love.....
    went with him!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Re: Sad news re: Wendy's

Alan W said:
    I am grief stricken!
    Dave Thomas is gone . . . RIP,
    and the chili I really used to love.....
    went with him!
    Huh.....i just had some a week or two back.Do you know if this is something that is nation wide or in certain locations?As i really like to have a cup now and then.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They still serve the chili out here. I used to love it, but since I no longer eat red meat I just watch my son eat it instead.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Alas . . . paradise regained!

OK . . .
    I . . . must have overreacted . . . (sniff, sniff!)
    The batch that I complained about turned to be well publicised here in chiliville (Houston).
    Last night it seemed to be back on track.
    We await Marvin Zindler's Report on Eyewitness News.
    (Whatever Marv says is cool. He shut down the Chicken Ranch!)
    All is well . . . Paradise regained!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Still in town.........

Happy to say they are still serving it up around here.Had me a cup yesterday.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In-N-Out is generally recognized as the best fast food chain. Both by its employees and by anyone who has ever eaten there. LA Times did an article on them a few years back and it was pretty impressive. Location managers pull in an average of 80k a year. They also have the highest starting wages of of any fast food chain and the average employee stays with the company at least 2 years, industry average is 9 months. No franchises either, company is family owned. Average wait time for food is 10-15 minutes compared to the industry average of I believe 3 minutes.

Personally I love the burgers, far higher quality than any of the national chains. Kinda cool that they also have their "secret" menu. They have things like the protein style burger that uses lettuce leaves in place of buns, and the 4 by 4 monster, which is 4 patties and 4 slices of cheese. They also have the best lemonade available to a chain.

Also the best subs gotta be at Quizno's. They bake their subs after putting on the meat and cheese. Very tasty.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While coming home from Daytona the weekend of the Fourth, the spirit moved me to stop Mouselando. I went to a Sonics on International Drive. Some of the best junk fast food I've had in a long time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Pete

What happened to Tim Hortons. They have great Ice Cappucinos and deli sandwiches and soups. Panera's is also a good deli , ice cappucinos.

:D Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file
    White Castle, what you crave!

Occupation
    Wendy's. Their burgers are the most palatable and they have some decent salads. Their fries can't beat McD's but you can't have everything!

Noticed nobody voted for Hardee's. It's odd how someplace that neither you not anyone you know patronizes can stay in business.

Occupation
    having eaten at both Wendy,s and Mc Ds both here and in the US, i have to say that something seems to be lost once these chains cross the atlantic.If you ever visit London and want a decent "American " style burger you have to go to a chain called Garfunkels which do truly excellent burgers other than that sticky fingers or the Hard Rock Cafe will do the job.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In-N-Out Burger, hands down. Very limited locations, sorry to say. Interestingly, it was founded the same year as McDonald's, in the same city, and I think even on the same street. What's more interesting to me is how the two companies could not have gone in more different directions.

Having eaten at McDonald's in enough countries to know (I am not proud), it tastes exactly the same wherever you are, which is to say, not very good.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll second In and Out! I had forgotten about them because they weren't listed in the poll and I can only go there while in CA! Their hamburgs are as good as the best anyone else offers, and their french fries are WORLD CLASS!

For those who haven't been there for reasons of location or circumstance, The In and Out french fry is made on the spot. Potatos are peeled and put through a cutter by hand, then into the fryolater. From raw potato to french fry in less than 5 min and are the ever the best you've had.If I had the power to change my vote I would do so. Alas, this will have to suffice.

PS I must be getting old......I just remembered I posted into this thread a couple of years back.I said the basically the same thing about In and Out. Pardon the repetition but have some fries their and see why I'm not deleting this duplication!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 11-04-2005 at 05:47 AM.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up Stay away from it...............

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    Health. We have a history of colon cancer in our family and red meat is strongly linked to this particular cancer.
    Agree................ In 1991, I was given the death sentence, having only 5-8 month to live, because of above mentioned problem. Went through the whole mill, with whatever goes with it. My effort to beat it worked, and I am still here and my doctors still call me their miracle patient.
    I am trying to stay away from all types of junkfood which includes fastfood.

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I am still here and my doctors still call me their miracle patient.
    Did you pray when you were going through your suffering? Did you reconcile yourself with God when you thought you might die?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Couldn't vote since I don't go near those places. YUCK!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I avoid fast food like the plage - I can cook

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you're in Northern VA, try Five Guys...hand made burgers and fresh fries. They even post where the potatoes are from.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    I'll second In and Out! I had forgotten about them because they weren't listed in the poll and I can only go there while in CA! Their hamburgs are as good as the best anyone else offers, and their french fries are WORLD CLASS!

For those who haven't been there for reasons of location or circumstance, The In and Out french fry is made on the spot. Potatos are peeled and put through a cutter by hand, then into the fryolater. From raw potato to french fry in less than 5 min and are the ever the best you've had.If I had the power to change my vote I would do so. Alas, this will have to suffice.

PS I must be getting old......I just remembered I posted into this thread a couple of years back.I said the basically the same thing about In and Out. Pardon the repetition but have some fries their and see why I'm not deleting this duplication!
    I was going to mention the fries in my first post, but those who know, know. No sense in making everyone else jealous. ;)

Snitgirl, you're telling me not even In-N-Out does it for you? I don't eat at the rest (they're nasty), but I do go to In-N-Out happily.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spartus, I've never been to and In-N-Out. I hear tons of people talk about it since there is one close to my office. Is there something special or different about it than the usual fast food joint?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

waffle house

I was always curious, having been in a number of waffle houses, How do they get that waitress with the one tooth, in every one of them, jet?

Thread Information