Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patient bought glasses 9 mo ago, wants fixed under warranty, do you charge shipping ?

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Yes but go back to OP.....the frame was abused and broken. If you drive a car under warranty or own a PC under warranty and crash it (car) or drop it (PC) no way the warranty covers that stuff!
    I never said anything about the original post - I was simply commenting on paying for parts and labor on returns.

My answer to the original problem was clear: In this case you've got a clearly defined warranty provided by the patient's vision provider. When the patient chose your shop to use his benefits he also elected to play by their rules. VSP is pretty clear that they provide a 1 year warranty - THEY do, not you. If VSP chooses to honor that warranty through your office that's fine. But VSP needs to make that call. Shipping - that's part of the gig, deal with it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    I never said anything about the original post - I was simply commenting on paying for parts and labor on returns.

My answer to the original problem was clear: In this case you've got a clearly defined warranty provided by the patient's vision provider. When the patient chose your shop to use his benefits he also elected to play by their rules. VSP is pretty clear that they provide a 1 year warranty - THEY do, not you. If VSP chooses to honor that warranty through your office that's fine. But VSP needs to make that call. Shipping - that's part of the gig, deal with it.
    Shipping charges come right out of everybody's paycheck that works at that office. That is why I'm having a difficult time dealing with it. Probably comes out of yours too, whether you know it or not. Think about that next time you ship something back for warranty repair!

I have a clarification to ask you: Are you sending the frame to VSP and letting them deal with it? How is VSP honoring the warranty? I'm unclear on this?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What other industry services there product free forever. Screws, nosepads, temple covers, re-tint, new case, cleaning cloth, adjustments, lost rx copy, torn contacts, and they'll go somewhere else if it's cheaper or you don't take their insurance. What an industry. Boy are we stupid. Haven't you figured out there is very little loyalty anymore. We use to think people would appreciate all those services.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    What other industry services there product free forever. Screws, nosepads, temple covers, re-tint, new case, cleaning cloth, adjustments, lost rx copy, torn contacts, and they'll go somewhere else if it's cheaper or you don't take their insurance. What an industry. Boy are we stupid. Haven't you figured out there is very little loyalty anymore. We use to think people would appreciate all those services.
    I never said what we do makes sense or is 'right'. I have never worked for a company that charged for things like screws, nose pads, or adjustments. That being said, every independant has the choice to do whatever they want.

There's a lot of talk here on optiboard about how to 'keep' your patients from running to discount chains or online. It's my opinion that if you price product in such a way to absorb the cost of doing free screws and nose pads, that your really saving in the end because you have happy patients going and telling others about the great service they recieved from you. As for the shipping, it stinks. I know we try to only ship stuff when we can do a few things at a time, and we use the 'if it fits it ships' boxes from the post office.

We still have loyal patients, although I do find it's the older generation who don't want to bother price shopping or googling themselves to death.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    I have a clarification to ask you: Are you sending the frame to VSP and letting them deal with it? How is VSP honoring the warranty? I'm unclear on this?
    VSP provided the frame, right? By compensating you for the cost and by requiring you to use their lab network VSP is using you as a go-between for their services. Contact VSP on the patient's behalf and ask them. Then notify the patient of their decision. When I was working in a VSP office that's what I did when a frame came in that was abused by the wearer and not something covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Each time it usually came down to VSP honoring what their plan says - they always wanted me to handle it but I would remind them the frame was abused - something not covered by the manufacturer but their plan specifies their clients get a frame warranty.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We don't charge the first time they try it. If they came back the next year and try it again, we charge the $15.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan View Post
    You may not charge but we do. If the spectacles were ordered through us, we provide all adjustments, nosepads, temple tips, etc for free (included in purchase price). We have had too many issues where the patient comes out and says, " I bought these at walmart, but I don't want to drive ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE for an adjustment". Meaning they have NO intention of coming here, just want to give their money to someone else, and get free service from us. Same thing w/ online...they claim you can get PDs and Adjustments for free....Does that mean someone else will pay for a portion of my employees time, or a portion of the overhead?

We charge for adjustments, nosepads, temple tips, replacement parts, emergency replacement parts, etc. ANy purchases made are kept on record and applied to any future purchases.

Haven't had a SINGLE complaint.

AA
    We don't charge for adjustments, screws or nosepads regardless of where the glasses were purchased. Sure, some of those people will never purchase anything from us. But many times those people are so appreciative of the high level of service that they are getting that they end up becoming loyal customers. Makes it well worth my time and the few dollars I spend on screws and nosepads.

Thread Information