Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just substitute "eyeglasses" or "OTCs" for "umbrellas"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just substitute "eyeglasses" or "OTCs" for "umbrellas"

<http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/when-the-point-isnt-just-to-stay-dry/?emc=eta1>

Thanks, Vision Council...for nothin'!

IMHO, you guys so totally miss the boat about what's really important to educate consumers about eyewear.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Huh?

Is is an article about umbrellas.
    I read it twice and do not see the words, eyewear, glasses, or optical mentioned anywhere.
    Am I missing something here?
    Even if it did, it is an article defending a quality product over cheap disposable stuff that does not last, something I thought you were all about.

Seriously, are you finding fault where none exists?

What does The Vision Council have to do with this concept?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thats what he is saying, this same conversation should be had about our industry.

in that article, substitute umbrellas for glasses, or OTCs and you will get his point.

quality over price... but isnt it the times that is so quick to recommend online glasses, etc.?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Thanks, Vision Council...for nothin'!
    "IMHO, you guys so totally miss the boat about what's really important to educate consumers about eyewear."

I am trying to make the Vision Council connection and the part about consumers education.

If it was just the post with "replace umbrella with eyewear" it would be clear.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    without reading his mind...

here is a publication educating people about the benefits of a good quality umbrella.... i will repeat that.... umbrella.

the vision council could and should easily publish this same type of educational piece about the true benefits of good quality eyewear, and the craftsmanship, material quality, and skill involved.....

i could really be adding my own bias in on barry's views here... but thats what i took away from his comments and reading the article.

after reading that for what it is, it does make you really think (probably for the first time ever) the quality of umbrellas and if you have one, how bad it is.

instead of the articles we see about the benefits of online, etc.. it would be nice to see an article that talks about the variety of good quality frames, materials, designs, etc of frames and frames... why it is important to go to someone that really know what they are doing to take the measurments, make the suggestions, fit, then adjust your glasses, vs. a $4 pair off a folding table on the sidewalk.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah, OK that makes things a little clearer.
    Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BINGO! EdgeOptical!

All I see the VC doing is promoting the sale of eyewear to answer people's vision needs...just as cheap OTCs and online eyewear can. They have no real program to help communicate and distingiuish a value and hierarcharcal quality of service, and why you might *want* to spend more for better with eyewear products and comprehensive bundled services.

For them, its all about need to check your vision, and that need, IMHO, can be met more than adequately by the cheaper end of offerings and online. Nothing there is long range to benefit us boarders here.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 08-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who is the Vision Council anyway?

Who pays them?

How much do the get paid?

What do they do?

Why are they still around?

Are they just a marketing outlet, accepting anybodies money-regardless of what effect on the industry, like the ABO or more so the OAA?

My opinion, not fact, so take it for what it is worth. That is how I perceive it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diopterman --- I was just logging on to ask that same series of questions but you beat me to it.

Barry, is it the VCs expressed mission to support the independent, brick and mortar optician shop?

Think we can figure out a way between all the board users here at Optiboard to get a similar piece written about eyewear?

Have we ever asked?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/

Serving as the global voice for vision care products and services, The Vision Council represents the manufacturers and suppliers of the optical industry. We position our members to be successful in a competitive marketplace through education, advocacy, consumer outreach, strategic relationship building and industry forums.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well that certainly is an interesting mission statement.
    It sounds a bit, well, schizophrenic to me.

If it represents manufacturers and suppliers through membership I am not sure where exactly, "education, advocacy, consumer outreach, strategic relationship building and industry forums" comes in. It sounds all warm and fuzzy but is that what is important to manufacturers and suppliers?

Again, have we asked The Vision Council as a group, licensed dispensing opticians, ECPs, and business owners to get us some positive press?

Have we written and positioned our field as a way to provide, "education, advocacy, consumer outreach, strategic relationship building and industry forums."

Can we, should we, are you saying we should not have to ask?

Are you a member, is OptiBoard a member?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look, I have nothing negative to say about the VC's mission statement. But...and I'm sorry for this...they're extremely constipated and myopic.

They continue to see eyewear as a *need* based item only, and not as a want, which is where a hieararchal quality offering is best positioned, IMHO.

Time's are a changin'. B&M can ONLY survive with a clear position *up* the hierarchy of eyewear/services offerings. The VC is currently doing NOTHING to send a meesage to the public about what their eyedoctor offers except for eye-health screening and needs managment.

At least that's the way I see it. But then again, who in the industry really does send this message? Even we here on optiboard don't. And the public reads our posts all the time.

Time to wake up!

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK

And I say, yet again...

Why don't we actually do something about it?

You are a professional writer, as are others on the board as well.

Can't we present a well written and well positioned statement about why B&M opticals are an important part of eyecare?

How about this:

If at least four others will join in the process I'll do it also.
    Let us agree that by this Friday you will have posted a brief 5 paragraph draft of how you would present this concept to the public.
    After that we can distill, discuss, edit, and take input from others and start working on the OptiBoard Mainfesto.

K Count, Chris, Barry, anyone else up to it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in. When we have a final piece I'll take it to my landlord (he sits on the council) and see if he can get some momentum from VM.

5 paragraphs by Friday on why you should by a better umbrella... er, eyewear. OK I got it!
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post

5 paragraphs by Friday on why you should by a better umbrella... er, eyewear. OK I got it!
    Why wait until Friday? Here's four paragraphs today:

Seeing "good enough" is not good enough. The "pd" is one of the measurements an optician takes when ordering your glasses. This is done to make sure the patient's pupils are looking through the optical center of the lens. Exact prescription and facial measurements are always important, and especially so for children whose eyes have not yet finished developing. Do you know that an incorrect pd will result in the glasses being made with the optical center in the wrong spot for your pupil? Even if the pd is ordered correctly, sloppy lab work can result in the glasses being made with the optical center too high, too low, too far left, or too far right. Wrongly placed or not, the eye moves toward the optical center of a lens. A child's eyes can be structurally and permanently damaged by wearing glasses that aren't made with precision. Patients who buy online have no way of determining that their glasses are made correctly. Your neighborhood optician performs a multi-step verification process on every pair he makes or sells to be sure they are made to the correct specification for your eyes.

By law, your neighborhood optician keeps your Rx on file for three years. This means one thing for you- continuity of care. If you have vision problems with your new glasses, your neighborhood optician can compare your previous Rx to your current one, use a lens chart to determine if your reading zone was physically set too high, too low, or even cut off entirely in the edging process. Often, the problem can be corrected with a simple frame adjustment. There are many frame adjustments that affect the way you view the world through your lenses. Your neighborhood optician knows them all while online glasses sellers are only involved in one aspect of dispensing- the sale.

Your prescription must often be customized to your specific vision needs. For instance, if your Rx is -3.25-0.50X180 ADD 2.00, do you know the calculation you need to do so that you get the focal length you need for your computer screen in the upper part of the lens plus all the reading power you need in the segment part of your lens? This is one calculation of many that your neighborhood optician does routinely. For that matter, do you know exactly where your pupil appears in the frame you chose? You need a professional optician to measure this if you're going to be able to enjoy crystal clear vision through your multifocal lens.

So, how many hours of your day do you spend in front of the computer? How much do you read? Do you spend a lot of time outdoors? Does the glare from oncoming headlights bother you at night? Do you have hobbies that require crisp closeup vision? Why is your neighborhood optician asking so many questions? Because there are thousands of different lens types, treatments, and combinations of each. And every one has a special purpose that only your professional optician can help you to make an educated choice on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pseudonym,

Thanks for getting this started!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont think its about educated vs uneducated choices. Nor informed vs uninformed.

I think its simply abour adequate vs excellent.

I guess good enough is in the *eye* of the beholder (pun intented)

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My OptiBoard Manifesto

I like to preface any written material like this with a brief overview of why you might be willing to listen to me. Do I actually have the experience and background in this area to have an informed opinion? My name is John Seegers and I am a working Virginia Licensed Dispensing Optician, I have a Master’s degree in Education, I have taught opticianry courses for the J Sargeant Reynolds Community College program and I own the education website OpticianWorks.com. I have been a licensed optician for almost twenty years and have worked for both a big-box store and an independent doctor of optometry.

I take a rather different perspective to many of my colleagues concerning the expanding on-line market for eyeglasses. I believe that many opticians, or better yet, eye care professionals or ECPs, have a slightly inflated view of their own importance. You do not need a license, a college education or twenty years in the business to be a competent ECP. You do need training, at least a full year of hands-on work experience in a busy store, a basic understanding of optics, knowledge of the newest products and some people skills.

Please do not mistake what you are going to read next and please read this article all the way through. If you can put a check in all five of the boxes below then I would encourage you to buy your glasses on-line. Heck, what are you risking, less than the price of five gallons of gasoline right?
    • The only thing that matters to me is seeing clearer than I do now.
    • My prescription is for single vision eyewear (my prescription does not show an “add” or is not for a bi-focal or progressive).
    • I would gladly wear my friend’s glasses if they helped me see better.
    • Cost is a huge concern for me
    • The first number in my prescription is between +/- 2.00
      • If my prescription has a second number it is between +/- 1.00
    If you answered yes to all five questions then here is the link to Eyeglasses Online: www.eyeglasses.com

For everyone else your unique and personal vision needs can only be met by working one-to-one, in person, with a skilled ECP. It is the experienced ECP that can properly fit a frame. An experienced ECP can take accurate measurements for pupillary distance, lined bifocal heights and progressive fitting heights assuring that you are looking through the correct area of the lens at the correct time. An experienced ECP can correctly match your individual prescription and your frame choice. Your local ECP can recommend a wide range of products appropriate for your individual needs, provide on-going care and repairs for eyewear and may even take a personal interest in your being completely satisfied with your purchase. It is the independent optical shop that can monitor and adjust their inventory to provide you with the latest fashions and quality products in a wide range of price points.

Perhaps the most important thing an independent optical shop provides is choice. Did you know that the shop owner buys all those frames on his or her board? That is right, that owner keeps an inventory of between $3000 and $50,000 on their wall just for you! Fashion is an important part of our world, yes, to most of us looking our very best is important. There is a reason that Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Gucci, Prada, Coach, Calvin Klein and the Lacoste brand names appear on glasses. Just like the subtle differences in color, pattern and cut of a shirt or dress guide our purchases the same holds true for eyewear. It is only at your independent optical shop that you can experiment with color, size, shape, brand or even custom design a frame just for you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The most important thing an independent optical shop provides is choice? You haven't been an optician long enough then John. Thanks for the (misinformed) advise to consumers!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical 24/7

Please read the entire thread and maybe you would understand what this is about before you go making random assumptions.

Maybe take the time to contribute instead of criticize?

Or just do what most of the folks here do... just look for stuff to complain about, do nothing about it, and preach to the choir to support your own assumptions....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post

Maybe take the time to contribute instead of criticize?
    Hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't post something concerning those rotten online sellers. John, I can really appreciate your intention in starting this discussion. I was hoping to see a thorough analysis by some old-school opticians of why the consumer should stick with their neighborhood optical.

Are the issues surrounding this so self-evident that no one wants to address it? I personally saw a pair of glasses in the -5.00 to -6.00 range that were made for a 6 year old child by Firmoo. The pd was 8mm too big. I asked the boy if his eyes hurt when he wore them and he affirmed that his eyes felt like they were pulling out on the left side. I had no trouble explaining to the parents why the cheap glasses were bad juju.

Barry, adequate vs. excellent eyewear is a great argument when the person has experienced the difference, but there's the rub. Most people don't know the difference between adequate and excellent because all they've ever known is adequate. How do you convince them to go for excellence just the once so you can spoil them forever?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's what we're all here for...excellence. The problem with the gorilla corps, online and insurance is that they do nothing to communicate a quality/value/desire hierarchy to the public. In fact, they do just the opposite : the level the playing field from the public's perspective, and label it all "adequate."

Perhaps, as we've seen, our real B&M problem is that *we* don't even know or understand what value-added we actually bring to the table in eyewear.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 08-27-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

Perhaps, as we've seen, our real B&M problem is that *we* don't even know or understand what value-added we actually bring to the table in eyewear.

Barry
    "If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself."~ Albert Einstein

Your theory is in good company, but the real challenge is getting the information refined into bullet points. For that, you both have to understand it yourself and have the ability to communicate it.

And sometimes the public can be willfully ignorant no matter what you say. When I informed someone that his granchild's glasses were way off pd and explained the long-term visual consequences, he waved me off and let me know they used to say the same thing about what would happen if you didn't get your feet measured by an expert shoe salesman at a place where the shoes cost 10 times more. Fortunately, the kid's mom listened to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, my bullet points may not be yours.

But, as I've stated before, the public easily understands a quality hierarchy, so why embark on a different approach that may resonate less with them.

BTW, I prefer the legal term "willful disbelief"

Good Discussion!

B

Thread Information