This PT is 62 year old guy who came in with Panamic Poly with script of:

OD +1.75 -.75 X 107
    OS +2.25 -1.25 X 087
    Add 2.00

New script:

OD no change
    OS +2/25 -1.00 X 89
    Add no change

Since I have read here that poly is no good for script over 2.00 I recommended a 1.60 Hoya Summit ECP. This was made up in Silhouette rimless lens size 49, same as the Panamics,. He picked them up last Friday and is back today saying he tried since Friday to tolerate them but cannot because his left eye feels like it is being "pushed out of focus by the lens", and indicates the direction of the "push" being toward his nose. Glasses are made correctly to script. What do you suggest I do about this? Is the problem the minor script change, the change from poly to 1.60, or the change from Panamic to Summit?

Barbara

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's the panamic- It's optical crack!!!! I've had such a hard time in the past getting patients out of that stupid design. My only luck was going with the ovation. good luck.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What was the previous RX?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkvelo View Post
    What was the previous RX?
    It's in the original message. Need some new glasses?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that it's probably the change in design rather than the material, though I have used poly in a variety of powers over the last 35 years or so with few if any problems. I would suggest checking the frame fit with regard to vertex distance, wrap and tilt. I'd also explain to the patient that it was necessary to change the design because the Panamic has been discontinued and that there will be some adaptation issues regardless of design. Ask your patient to be patient and work with you.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    CuriousCat, thanks for your reply. When he came in initially I told him about the Panamic being discontinued and the need to select something else and adapt to it. He was complaining about the new glasses when he first picked them up, and now feels that he has done his best but is still unhappy. And I've tried all the fitting techniques I know. At this point I'm thinking we just need to change something, and my question is what should that change be.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try the ovation. From what I understand (and I think the understanding comes from a bunch of good old lab rats from here), it's a generic version of the panamic. I've had to switch patients who had been in a panamic, then I put them into a digital and hated it, into an ovation and they were fine. I don't know if it's becuase it was so soft of a design, but people really get used to it and have a hard time adapting to other designs. In the future I would give patients the heads up about it. I do this every so often since the frequence of patients coming in with them has decreased for me recently.

And of course, on the flip side to this, patients typically don't have trouble going from an ovation to another design, which is good since it's been the LC's go to lens now for about the last 5 or so years.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assume the lenses are properly positioned, free of waves and warpage, similar prism thinning, and an appropriate amount of usable seg height. Lens material and Rx change should be inconsequential.

Here are my concerns-

The ECP has a slighty longer corridor than the Panamic.

The Add power at age 62 is usually at least +2.25.

The above might be enough to cause symptoms if there are frequent near and intermediate tasks. If true, change the PAL design to one that has a slightly shorter corridor, and recheck the Rx Add power. Consider task specific eyeglasses as needed.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Thanks, Robert. I'm not in a position to question what the doc says is the script. But I suspect the add is not too low because he is saying the feeling of have his eye being pushed comes from the distance part of the lens., and his old glasses are fine and have the same add. Would the Summit CD be an appropriate change for a shorter corridor?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think is the RX change. But I would suggest using the GT2/GT2 Short to replaced the Panamic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @oxmoon:

Give him back his -1.25 cyl......the change given may interfere with his distance acuity/comfort, and only horizontally!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The PD's are different. Re-check both pair and match the old.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    Thanks, Robert. I'm not in a position to question what the doc says is the script.
    Sure you are. Nothing wrong with a few professional observations, questions, and feedback. I would always red flag that Add power for a 62 year old, if the reading distance is 40cm.

But I suspect the add is not too low because he is saying the feeling of have his eye being pushed comes from the distance part of the lens., and his old glasses are fine and have the same add.
    The old glasses get into the Add power quicker, probably getting about 10% more Add power than the Ecp at intermediate and near. Combine that with an Add power that's 10% too weak...

Would the Summit CD be an appropriate change for a shorter corridor?
    You have information that I don't have i.e., useable seg height, near work distances/heights/frequency, etc., so it's hard to say from where I'm sitting. You should at least use a lens that performs in a similar fashion as the Panamic, and that a significant change to a very short corridor PAL needs justification, considering the inherent negatives associated with the shorties.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    The patient is coming back this afternoon to see the doc for a retake on script. Asking him wasn't as bad as I thought if would be! Then I'll go for the ovation since you have said it is most like the panamic. PD is accurate and was the same on both pairs. If you see any holes in this plan, please let me know. Many thanks to everyone.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've had a couple of people non-tol to other lenses once they swapped out of Panamics. My mum was one of them actually!! What I ended up putting her in was the AO Pro Easy (it's my mainstay for fixing non-tols). Everyone I know who wore it swore that it was a rip off of the Comfort and the Panamic all blended into one!!

Tom

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I would put him in the Seiko Succeed Ws.. One of the cheapest free form prog's out there. GREAT LENS!!! I've NEVER had a problem with this lens. I even tried it on a 76yo male wearing traditional trifocals for 25 plus years, and who had tried Prog's in the past and failed. Let me just tell you he walked out wearing his new lenses praising them!!!! I've even put them up against GT2 and Izon with my dad. Dad said Izon had it beat by a smigin at most..... Can't believe I'm giving my secrets up..lol

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    The PD's are different. Re-check both pair and match the old.
    I agree with re checking the old PD and the new PD. Classic issue. Also, I agree its the design. I think a bit of both and I would also recommend the GT2 as a design to change to from Panamic. I have had great success with that change.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    The patient is coming back this afternoon to see the doc for a retake on script. Asking him wasn't as bad as I thought if would be! Then I'll go for the ovation since you have said it is most like the panamic. PD is accurate and was the same on both pairs. If you see any holes in this plan, please let me know. Many thanks to everyone.
    The Ovation should work, as well as other similar lenses (gt2, spectrum, outlook, etc.). The Ovation has a variable corridor length- slightly longer for plus, shorter for minus. About 20% more unwanted surface astigmatism though. Some will feel it is slightly less refined compared to the Panamic, although the Panamic had it's own problems- don't get me started!

Don't forget to post the results please.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the result was ??? I'm betting cyl change. And I would also recommend GT2

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a problem too...
    So we had a patient in our office that I'm confused what could be the problem. She has worn progressives in the past but lost them so I couldn't identify which style they were. We put this her in one of our HD lenses and she sees find in the distance and near but after sitting down to read she then cant see clearly out of the distance anymore for a 10 min period of time (give or take). They are made in Trivex and have a Alize coating on them. Rx is a +3.25 -100 in the worse eye. Of course we have checked out the lenses and the doctor has recheck his rx too. Not sure what the problem is and don't really want to remake them and have another problem????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyVoelzow View Post
    I have a problem too...
    So we had a patient in our office that I'm confused what could be the problem. She has worn progressives in the past but lost them so I couldn't identify which style they were. We put this her in one of our HD lenses and she sees find in the distance and near but after sitting down to read she then cant see clearly out of the distance anymore for a 10 min period of time (give or take). They are made in Trivex and have a Alize coating on them. Rx is a +3.25 -100 in the worse eye. Of course we have checked out the lenses and the doctor has recheck his rx too. Not sure what the problem is and don't really want to remake them and have another problem????
    Sounds like she needs more plus. Try adding plus trial lenses until her distance starts to blur and then back down to good far. I'll bet you can add at least a 1/4 or more plus until dist starts to blur. Alternative, a 60 plus year old needs at least +2.50 add.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 09-07-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Thread Information