Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: P.D.'s For online Purchases

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

P.D.'s For online Purchases

Hey everyone, we are being asked by people to measure their P.D. so they can go online to buy glasses. THE NERVE!!! We have been telling them our insurance company does not allow us to supply P.D.'s as there is a liability issue. Further, we dis the hell out of these online eyeglass sites ESPECIALLY when they are going to order a multi-focal. Ban together and put a dent in this sleazy online eyeglass sites!!! Happy hunting...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make lemonade out of lemons!

Charge them for your time!

You already lost them as a customer! They wouldn't work for free, why should you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You may get $20 for taking a P.D. but you will lose a $350 sale...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last one I had I converted after dissing the online guys and made $550 sale...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    "Dissing"?
    Negative sell and attacking even on line competitors in a professional environment is very unprofessional and will drive many people to alternative businesses. Any business that expects to survive in a free market economy can flourish when you can professionally justify your service by education the customer and then let them make their educated decision.
    if you need help in explaining your services ask your Lab, Lens, AR and frame reps for their recommendations.
    Charging for measurements are a great idea. Why not offer a full frame adjustment for $$$.$$ so that their ordered lenses will fit properly. and do it with a smile! Don't you want your customers to love your service more than the online service?

Food for thought...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When i was in the optical business, I had a sign on the wall that said "$35 for PD, $50 to help select frame, $50 to verify Rx, $65 to fit on-line glasses." Saved me a lot of time and bother.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I give them their pd, both monocular and binocular, then ask them to bring their purchase by so I can verify that they got what they ordered. Sometimes I win (they hate their glasses) and sometimes I lose (they love their glasses.) Either way, I get them to come back in the store at least once more. If they hate their online glasses, I find out why and sell them on what I have that's better, more comfortable, better quality, whatever.

Online people are in business to make money the same as everyone else. I tell the patient that online has limitations that I don't have. Online optical companies can't let the patient try on the frames to see how they really look and feel. It is very hard to tell what to choose when all you have is a photo.

I do let them make their own mistakes in frame selection.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are calling me sleazy and you don't even know me! I sell on-line and also at retail. Does your retail compete with the internet?
    If you come in my store or call for a PD; we charge $35.00. If you buy on-line we email you a pd ruler.
    Works for me!
    Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    xx
    Last edited by finefocus; 08-17-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: lost interest

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    xx
    This is the new world; you can accept or ignore it, your choice!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    This is the new world; you can accept or ignore it, your choice!
    I'm not ignoring it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is your time, expertise, and overhead worth a $30 service fee?

Segs, PD, tilts, and other glasses related measurements should be taken by the optician making the glasses.

If patients have trouble seeing out their glasses, then the eye care professional should take the patient behind the phoropter and dial in the Rx. If the patient can see clearly, they should be charged for the chair time and sent back to the optical that fabricated the glasses. If they can't see, then a new Rx should be produced and the patient can have the glasses remade.

Online opticals should do their own measurements and not expect B&M opticians to do their work for them. If you have ownership in the online optical, then heck yeah, measure those PDs.

Charging for measurements only give the patients a legitimate reason to come back to the B&M office for troubleshooting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Breaking news, folks:

Sun Life Canada has rejected a receipt from a online eyeglass order as a non-legitimate receipt.......................for reimbursement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I give them their pd, both monocular and binocular, then ask them to bring their purchase by so I can verify that they got what they ordered. Sometimes I win (they hate their glasses) and sometimes I lose (they love their glasses.) Either way, I get them to come back in the store at least once more. If they hate their online glasses, I find out why and sell them on what I have that's better, more comfortable, better quality, whatever.

Online people are in business to make money the same as everyone else. I tell the patient that online has limitations that I don't have. Online optical companies can't let the patient try on the frames to see how they really look and feel. It is very hard to tell what to choose when all you have is a photo.

I do let them make their own mistakes in frame selection.
    pseudonym - I really like your approach and I basically do the same. Sure beats getting all worked up over someone asking for, what, one minute of your time? Time it! Would that mean you deserve $2100/hour?

Take a deep breath in and let it out slowly, relax and go to your happy place.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    pseudonym - I really like your approach and I basically do the same. Sure beats getting all worked up over someone asking for, what, one minute of your time? Time it! Would that mean you deserve $2100/hour?

Take a deep breath in and let it out slowly, relax and go to your happy place.
    Good because I was beginning to think my approach was a little too easygoing about the whole pd thing. It's just an experiment at this point, but I think it will bring in new business over time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See, it takes a Canadian company to stand up to the onliners. Hip Hip Hooray for Sunlife Canada

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    See, it takes a Canadian company to stand up to the onliners. Hip Hip Hooray for Sunlife Canada
    Our provincial auto insurance company just cut us a cheque for 400.00 for a client to replace his glasses that were damaged in a car accident. He got them online, had no receipt for them. He came here and picked out a pair and they replaced them, no questions asked. That works for me. :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguyastigmat View Post
    You may get $20 for taking a P.D. but you will lose a $350 sale...
    sounds like you already did.

IMO just do the measurement for them, charge nominal fee, but more importantly ask them what they are going to buy online and why they won't buy it through you. if the money was equal who would they prefer to buy from? why? handle it the same way you would if a patient were to walk with their Rx to go down to Walmart or another optical shop. There's no liability issue. If I talk with the local tire shop and he tells me what size and type of tire to buy, then I go online and buy them at Tire Rack and they come to me and don't fit or work, it's no ones fault buy mine. I can't turn around blame the local shop unless I bought it through them. His advice doesn't eliminate buyer beware. If anything goes wrong with their glasses and it's PD related, worst you're liable for is perhaps refunding their money. That is if in fact you measured them wrong. However, I wouldn't say you are liable for their glasses. The person who made them and sold them to them owns that responsibility. That's how I see it.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguyastigmat View Post
    Hey everyone, we are being asked by people to measure their P.D. so they can go online to buy glasses. THE NERVE!!! We have been telling them our insurance company does not allow us to supply P.D.'s as there is a liability issue. Further, we dis the hell out of these online eyeglass sites ESPECIALLY when they are going to order a multi-focal. Ban together and put a dent in this sleazy online eyeglass sites!!! Happy hunting...
    Let the regulators shut them down. The last time I looked you needed a prescription to get eyeglasses. If the consumer wants cheap eyeglasses, they can go to Costco. But enabling these companies and the do-it-yourselfers by providing only part of what's required to fulfill the requirements of the Rx seems...stupid. How 'bout a little backbone from my fellow Optiboarders?
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    How 'bout a little backbone from my fellow Optiboarders?
    No wonder they call me spineless, Robert!

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    How 'bout a little backbone from my fellow Optiboarders?
    I grew up in my Dad's optical shop. We helped anyone and everyone that came in the door that needed adjustment, nosepads etc always with the thought that by providing those services we might attract new customers/patients. That's been my take for 30 years. But this is different. It really is. I'm actually surprised by the independents here who willing adjust, measure and fit online eyewear. In my opinion you just put your qualifying stamp of approval to their purchase and in the process encourage them to purchase online again. I don't quite understand how anyone can condemn something while enabling it at the same time. I'm not convinced that very many people who buy online would be willing to give up their cheapness - or frugality if we wanna be nice - just because one of us was nice enough to adjust their crappy frames. I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hmmmmm, lets see....you're trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. Let me know if you find an ideal way to deal with this issue. Personally I like the insurance company line. I believe that once a patient transgresses to the internet for eyeglasses it is very hard to regain them, unless of course they need their -4.50 glasses in an hour and you happen to take their vision care plan. Kinda sucks for us when even the tire places make a few $$ mounting and balancing tires purchased online.
    Last edited by RIMLESS; 08-24-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by robert martellaro View Post
    let the regulators shut them down. The last time i looked you needed a prescription to get eyeglasses. If the consumer wants cheap eyeglasses, they can go to costco. But enabling these companies and the do-it-yourselfers by providing only part of what's required to fulfill the requirements of the rx seems...stupid. How 'bout a little backbone from my fellow optiboarders?
    this is the correct answer!!!!!!!

Amen!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HOLY JEEHOSOPHAT!

Well hello again, drk! Just where the **** have you been?

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 08-25-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Thread Information