Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glasses for an airline pilot

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Angryfish. To the best of my knowledge production of the ED trifocal ceased when the casting facility at SOLA in Adelaide shut down a couple of years ago. You can still "make" an ED trifocal however by doing it as a "Franklin" with a D-seg in the lower portion. I would also suggest that private labs may be the only ones that have any ED blanks left as SOLA (Zeiss) would have trashed all their remaining stock. Good luck finding them though!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm problem solving with a pilot right now- just got off of the phone with him. I don't mind the "engineer" frame of mind that comes with working with pilots but this one is a good-looking, dapper guy who had LASIK with the intent of never becoming a presbyope (Yeah, good luck with that!). He wanted a progressive and, against my better judgement, I fit him in one (comfort enhanced, please don't start groaning). I'm considering a few options including the Zeiss Individual, an Autograph, or just a plain ole Trifocal. It's the same story, he is struggling with differences in focus, has to keep his head perfectly still during landing , and encounters glare in the peripheral when looking at bright landing lights at night. In my gut I feel like the Trifocal is going to be the answer but I have to get around his ego before I can fit the guy.

Oh, and I've noticed that during my absence the pissing matches haven't ceased. Nice. ;)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by marquette42 View Post
    The answer to this question is there is no real answer. Just like with any patient you have to ask the "lifestyle" or in this case "flightstyle" questions. Each cockpit is different as is each pilot's preferences. For example, my family only flys WACO airplanes from the 20s-40s. All the instruments are set at an excellent intermediate height with no LCD.

You have to determine from him what his flight experience consists of and what his needs as a pilot are.

I often hear inexperienced or poorly educated opticians say pilots can never wear polarized. There is little farther from the truth. There certainly are a segment of the piloting community who would have their flight performance hampered by polarized, but to make a blanket statement that no pilot should ever wear polarized is incorrecr. Talk to him, find his needs and the right lens will present itself to you. however, after asking the right questions if you still are stumped as to how to best suit your patients needs, post the specifics and maybe someone can help focus you to the right areas and give you pros and cons to what he will run into with various lenses.
    U R right, it depends

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Airline pilots also have their manuals issued by their employer that deals with this issue and have to be followed.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have a Cessena pilot who wants new e d trifocals (existing happy wearer), we have our own lab but Sola/Zeiss have discontinued them. Does anyone know a blank supplier or any other suggestion?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi, give me a call, Quest Lab can make it for you. 727-581-4100; cell: 727-251-3129. Ask for Michael

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can still "make" an ED trifocal however by doing it as a "Franklin" with a D-seg in the lower portion. Do you have any staff who can make a franklin? They're getting rare now!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Yes, we do them every day. You can reach me at 727-581-4199 or questlab@tampabay.rr.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Peter, quest lab e-mail: questlab@tampabay.rr.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're still interested in this, you might look into Vedalo HD. They have great products for aviation, driving, golfing, and more. From what I hear from the aviation community, it's become go-to lens of choice. http://www.vedalohd.com/aviator-sunglasses/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyforever View Post
    U R right, it depends
    IME, pilots being able to wear polarized are the exception. I'd rather err on the side of caution; if a pilot is able to wear polarized, he'll know it, and tell me. Otherwise, I'd rather approach it with the same mentality I would a firearm: Assume it's loaded.

ETA: Recently had a pilot in the office, and someone who could not take a hint try to sell him polarized sunglasses because "tints are awful!" The guy just kept getting more and more frustrated saying that he could not wear them in the cockpit and trying to explain why not. Needless to say, he did not get RX suns from us.
    Last edited by Browman; 04-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray O'Brien View Post
    You can still "make" an ED trifocal however by doing it as a "Franklin" with a D-seg in the lower portion. Do you have any staff who can make a franklin? They're getting rare now!
    I would guess, ex with add 50% and a stick on D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I would guess, ex with add 50% and a stick on D
    Yes we've done that with success and we have also had quest lab laser a round seg onto a 50% add exec - client preferred it to ED

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Commercial airline pilots have to wear glasses stipulated in their manuals. The same goes for sunglasses and their colored lenses..

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    If you're still interested in this, you might look into Vedalo HD. They have great products for aviation, driving, golfing, and more. From what I hear from the aviation community, it's become go-to lens of choice. http://www.vedalohd.com/aviator-sunglasses/
    Ditto on Vedalo HD - good product!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Thread Information