Thread: VEW Anyone?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VEW Anyone?

My husband tells me that there are plans in the works for a bunch of his military buddies to get together for a mini-reunion in Vegas this winter, and I'll able to tag along.(Whoop, whoop...) What this means is that I'll sit around the pool by myself, or with a few of his friends wives or girlfriends while the "boys" run around drinking, trading war stories, and just hanging out.

I would much rather be going to Vision Expo, but it was confirmed today that, once again, I won't be going. What I'd like to know is if anyone here on Optiboard is going to be there, and if anyone would be willing to post updates as to what is going on. It may be "old hat" to some of you that are regular attendees, but for those of us back home, it would be nice to see/hear what's going on.

Are there any attendees willing to step up to the plate?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually go, but won't this year. I'll miss my friends that do go very much...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love the chance to break away from my store in Satan's Sandbox (AKA Florida), for a few days of fun, booze, fun, optics, more fun, maybe meeting some of the more respected members of Optiboard, booze, sin, more booze, fun, and a little optical buying........................

BUT..........................as a one man show, I can not justify the expense of Vegas, or NYC. Why close my operation to deal with a bunch of phony has beens? I can get much better deals buy purchasing smarter thru smaller vendors like FezzJohns, educating myself on lab work pricing, equipment flipping, selling Gelato as a side business, offering custom made frame creations of my own doing and skipping the loud music, clammy/limp handshakes, stale M&M's, clantily dressed sales staff, loud music, loud music, BS and lies, loud music, over priced drinks, lousy BOGUS deals, and everything else that VEW/VEE has to offer.

Why bother really? The days of the tradeshow are DEAD!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was talking with our Luxottica rep, and she said many of her accounts are not going this year. She didn't have any reason, she just said that's what she's been hearing.

Optical24/7: What is the best part about going to the show? Do you take a lot of CEUs? Do you buy a lot, or just go to see the new designs?

I think the best part would be seeing all the newest styles, latest developments, and the advancements on the medical side.

Didn't the VEW committee have an annual contest and give away a free trip. ( I couldn't go anyway, as I have to cover the office for those that will be attending, but maybe next year there would be a chance.)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopterman View Post
    Why bother really? The days of the tradeshow are DEAD!
    Really? My Safilo rep was in here with his boss 2 weeks ago, and they said that they write more orders at VEW, than most companies write in a whole year. Plus, they said it's worth the price of admission (I didn't think they charged) just to see all the famous people milling around. I'm not really into any of that part of it, but they really did make it sound exciting.

When the rest of the office goes, I often feel like the odd girl out, but they do always bring a load of t-shirts, pens, bags, and notepads when they return. I guess it could be worse!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What you talking about Willis..., er..ah..Darby?

Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Really? My Safilo rep was in here with his boss 2 weeks ago, and they said that they write more orders at VEW, than most companies write in a whole year.
    Saf-A-Who?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diopterman: I know some folks are not big fans of Safilo, but out of all the reps my boss sees, they are the only company that consistently brings me updated catalogs and other useful items, as well as offering to take me out to lunch, even though I don't do the buying. Plus, their frames (seem to)come in more colors than a lot of other lines. I know that people will say that it sounds like I'm being bought out with lunches and small gifts, but like I said, I don't do the buying, and their products sell very well in this part of the country.

Yes, one of my bosses has gone the way of no brands, and he seems to be doing well with it, but it can really be a pain when someone comes in and asks for a name brand, and I just stand there like a Bambi in the headlights. Working at two different practices, I see both sides of it. I must admit though, with the Safilo rep doing board management, it sure makes everyone's job a lot easier, and allows the staff to catch up with the reps with what's going on in the industry. It also doesn't hurt that this is an all female office (except for the OD) and the rep is a really (really) nice guy.

I'm glad that the smaller vendors are working great for you, and that you even have time to make your own frames. Up here in the northern states, we don't have the luxury of selling just anything to whomever walks through the door. Glad life is good for you! (Visit the beach for us!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will be there, but because I am tech challenged, no I phone, no laptop, I will be unable to report here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Optical24/7: What is the best part about going to the show? Do you take a lot of CEUs? Do you buy a lot, or just go to see the new designs?

)
    The best part of going is watching my wife's reaction to the card slap-jack jockey's as the reach in front of her to give me one of their *picture* cards with solicitations on them. ( My wife just about knocks their arms off while preaching to them in sailor's language of the sins in offering such a card to a man who's already with a woman!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't count on spending to much time at the pool in the winter in Vegas!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that my husband and I might pop up for a day, but I don't have internet on my phone, so even if we go, I can't post up-dates. But from all of the years I have gone, I really can't see much of anything to up-date about. Sorry.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are going, book your rooms through the VEW website, the savings are huge. IE: The Belaggio website has rooms at $499, through VEW they are $189

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As a representative of International Vision Expo and Conference I can tell you the best way to get updates is through social media platforms. We typically post a video (or 2) each day showing coverage on YouTube (www.youtube.com/intlvisionexpo). We try to limit Facebook postings to one or two a day (www.facebook.com/visionexpo). The newest way to get consistent updates is through Twitter. You can either follow us on at www.twitter.com/visionexpo or follow the hashtag #visionexpo. We have given away a free trip to Vision Expo recently on Facebook and plan to give away CE and entertainment tickets in the upcoming weeks.

There's typically positive and negative comments on OptiBoard regarding the Vision Expo shows. I can only weigh in with the facts. Regarding Vision Expo West in Vegas, last year 13,201 eye care professionals attended (not including exhibit staff which brings the number to 17,635). This was up nearly 10% over 2009. To put things into perspective you can go back to 2006 and 2007 where we welcomed 13,180 and 13,210 eyecare professionals respectively. The size of the exhibit hall is measured in net square feet. We have increased the exhibit hall by 8% going into this year's event to 167,000 net square feet (as of today). There are over 500 vendors exhibiting at this year's conference featuring over 5,000 brands. We've already collected 300 show specials with 6 weeks to go.

Regarding Vision Expo East in New York, this past March we welcomed 15,118 eye care professionals (not including exhibit staff which brings the number to 21,508). This was up 5% over 2010. Again these numbers are nearly identical to attendance numbers five years ago. The size of the show floor was 238,304 net square feet.

International Vision Expo is a strong trade show and conference. We're proud of the fact that in spite of an economic downturn, the ophthalmic community and the show itself have not seen the losses that other communities have seen. You should be encouraged that eyecare professionals continue to meet with vendors in a one on one environment to search for the newest products and technologies to improve patient and customer care and bolster the bottom line. You have the opportunity to share experiences with your peers. I sat in many meetings over the past few years at Vision Expo where peers came together to discuss the state of their practice in the economic climate and share ideas. In response to a previous post, trade shows are not only dead, but I can't understand why anyone would want them to be. They are another environment that fosters relationships, creates excitement and drives innovations for the community as a whole.

OptiBoarders are always invited to register to the exhibit hall for free using www.visionexpowest.com/soc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey acar, where's the free ticket (airfare, hotel, ect) give-a-way this year?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We post our contests on Facebook and Twitter.

www.facebook.com/visionexpo
    www.twitter.com/visionexpo

Thread Information