Thread: Advanced Optican test

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Advanced Optican test

Taking the test in Vegas, next month. Has anyone taken it?

Any help on study material would be helpful

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, Brooks & Borish
    Advanced Opticians Tutorial, NAO-- make sure to spend some time on business and paraoptometry.
    Optical Formulas Tutorial, Stoner, Perkins and Ferguson.
    Last edited by Wes; 08-03-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto Wes' list. Those are what I used. Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Definite on "System for Ophthalmic dispensing", I say be careful with the NAO guide. It's useful only in that it includes a wide range of subjects likely to be found on the test. I personally found that it wasn't worth a quarter of how much they charge you for it. It wasn't until later that I found other resources. If you get it, only get it for the "business management" and ocular/systemic pathology aspects (it includes important employment discrimination information - laws, acts, etc. as well as diseases and their effect on the visual system). The format, however, is shoddy at best. And there are outright errors in a few sections (case in point: I had to call ABO-NCLE after taking the test to complain that the Martin's Tilt Formula they provided in the back of the booklet was wrong; it was copied exactly as it was written in the NAO guide - everyone got free credit for questions related to that formula). Anyway, this is not meant just to trash that book. As I was saying, "System" is great. "Optical Formulas Tutorial" is very useful, but the structure and variables of the formulas are a little strange. Outside of getting used to a little confusion (or at the very least, unorthodox) notation, you should love it. Addition books you should get are: "Clinical Optics" from Troy Fannin and "Geometric, Physical, and Visual Optics" by Keating. While both of these may be a tiny bit more convoluted than "System", they approach optics from a more systematic and formulaic standpoint (they are also pretty comprehensive). Also, anything by Mo Jalie is usually a good bet. "Ophthalmic Lenses and Dispensing" for instance.

Other books which may be more ancillary but that you may find a useful reference are: "Clinical Procedures for Ocular Examination" from Carlson and Kurtz (you are expected to know the basics of refraction and other examination procedures), "Clinical Anatomy of the Visual System" (author escapes me), and the Wills Eye Manual (this may be overkill, but it may prove useful when it comes to pathology).

That's my 2 cents (welcome, or not). Figured it would help you.

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So how did you do? Did you use the sources mentioned, and were they helpful?
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found the occasional error in the NAO guide as well and find it very cumbersome with no table of contents that reference the page for a corresponding test. It is not well organized and that is a big part of reviewing for an exam. That said I am hopeful that the range of information is representative of what I can expect on the test. Thank you for all of the above good information it really helps.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by greeneyes52 View Post
    Taking the test in Vegas, next month. Has anyone taken it?

Any help on study material would be helpful
    I took the ABOA in Vegas of 2011 and did not pass. I know I did not study enough. I do hope to retake. Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What areas were you weak on? I am very comfortable with everything except some of the advanced formulas and principals but I still have four more weeks to get comfortable. I am going to save the last week for memorizing things like ANSI z80.1 and z87 tolerances and practicing hardest formulas. Any light that you can shed regarding what to prepare for will be helpful. Are you going to take it again soon?

Thread Information