Thread: Planno drive wear lenses and headache?

OptiBoard Apprentice LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Planno drive wear lenses and headache?

Hi everyone,

I just replaced my old/planno polarized sunglasses lenses into plano drive wear leneses about one month. I have headaches after 5 minutes at every single time I wear them. I know my patients, co-workers, my doctors love drive wear lenses except me who can not wear them.

My questions:
    1. Is it the lab error not to put them at 180 degree?
    2. My vision can not adapt to drive wear lenses?
    3. Any other reasons?

I am learning here so please share your inputs. Thank you very much.

Laguna.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who edged them?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you know how to determine if the polarization was put on the 180 line or not? That would be the first place where I would look. Additionally, has anyone else tried your drivewear glasses on and felt no ill effects? Just my thoughts.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You maybe have a warp?? Usually caused by a too tight lens.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I saw a case about a yr ago. The lady presented with the same problem you're describing. It turned out that one lens was surfaced about 70 degrees off axis. Perhaps one of your planos was edged off axis?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Prism

If it is truly plano, it is not likey, but I would still check for ground in prism.

• aBBerated

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go stand in front of a polarized lens demonstrator (I like the polage on the Maui Jim Unit) Put glasses on. Cover right eye and look at image. Uncover and cover opposite eye. Note any changes in color of image on polage. If the images are the same the lenses are ground and edged on the same axis. If different than your lenses are out of phase(Off Axis) and need to be remade. I make this a part of every polarized lens final inspection. I have been caught a time or two with out of phase lenses with a patient in front of me.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I saw a case about a yr ago. The lady presented with the same problem you're describing. It turned out that one lens was surfaced about 70 degrees off axis. Perhaps one of your planos was edged off axis?
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Go stand in front of a polarized lens demonstrator (I like the polage on the Maui Jim Unit) Put glasses on. Cover right eye and look at image. Uncover and cover opposite eye. Note any changes in color of image on polage. If the images are the same the lenses are ground and edged on the same axis. If different than your lenses are out of phase(Off Axis) and need to be remade. I make this a part of every polarized lens final inspection.I have been caught a time or two with out of phase lenses with a patient in front of me.
    I do a similar inspection, but not everyone in the shop I part time in does, which is how the job I referenced made it to the patient. No one could figure out why the lady was complaining and so the job was saved for me to troubleshoot when I got in. The check kcount describes here made it clear that one lens was properly oriented and the other was off axis.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laguna:
    We (or at least I) am courious, did you do any of the various tests described above? If so what did you find?
    Just in case the above wasn't specific enough, polarisation can be checked by taking another polarised lens (demo's are marked, and most polarised sunlglasses are mounted correctly) and turning the suspect lens 90 degrees from the axis of the lens you know to be correct. Virtually no light should come through when viewing through both lenses when 90 degrees opposed. Some darkening will occur as you near 90 degrees opposition, but no light should come through at 90 degrees.
    Let us hear from you.

Chip

I also note that non of us has mentioned any of the standard tests for aberration on any lens. Try holding the glasses at arm's length and looking at a distant straight line or tube light,
    Move the lens side to side, wiggle the axis up and down, turn lens 90 degrees and repeat, no distortion of this straight line, except possibly a very slight amount at the very edges should be present. It is just as easy to make a distorted plano as it is to do so with a lens that has power.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-02-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Alternative solution

Occupation
    And the answer is...

Thread Information