Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question thread

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, Wes I realize this. I fit plenty of patients with cosmetically balanced lenses. This guy? Not one of those. :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Gah, I understand that one needs to be client friendly, but there are limits.
    Closing time is closing time, I don't look at at minute more.

Imagine it the other way. Closing at 1745 when you normally close at 1800. That would be about the same. "Sorry, we don't feel like working till 1800 today, come back tomorrow"

I've had clien't bashing on the door in the morning, we open at 0930. Client comes by, everything dark in the shop, at 0830. When I came in at 0900 I heard banging, peeked around the corner to look in the shop... no way I went out in front! I mean come on, read the sign. Best is yet to come. When we open at 0930 (turned the lights on just seconds prior to that) the client explaned that she has been banging on the door since 0830 and nobody replied. When I asked if she knew what time we opened she replied that she had checked the website, and knew that we open at 0930. But she felt that we should be open at 0830 so she came by...
    Why she came by? And emergency, no, she wanted us to clean her glasses. Did she buy it at our shop? No. *......*

I feel I'm really client friendly, my patience is well know aroud our shops, but this really ticks me off.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    Yes, Wes I realize this. I fit plenty of patients with cosmetically balanced lenses. This guy? Not one of those. :)
    No offense meant.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happened this week. Patient "Are my glasses ready" Optician "I can't find your order. When did you order them." Patient "I haven't ordered them yet"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago a patient said she went to sleep with a contact lens in her right eye and woke up with it in her left eye. She wanted to know if it could have gone under her skin to the other eye.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    patient : ' how much are glasses'? (i get this question atlest once a day)

Me: speechless, i never want to sound like a smart *** with my customers, i'm still yet to figure out what to tell them. *sigh*

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post

Me: speechless, i never want to sound like a smart *** with my customers, i'm still yet to figure out what to tell them. *sigh*
    Nearly everyone, except Craig, can use my standard answer to this question: We should be able to keep it under $2500 per pair.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    Stupid question of today: a lady walks in at 11:56 (we close at noon on Fridays), and says "I know you're about to close, but can I take another look at that frame you ordered for me in the different color?"
    Okay, I may have shot myself in the foot on this one.

Yesterday (Monday), I get a call from Miss I Know You're About to Close, saying she'd found frames she liked elsewhere, and they were less expensive, so I don't have to hold those frames for her anymore. Now, I'm not that broken-hearted, because now I don't have to follow up with her and fulfill her every need, but did I lose a sale because I didn't stay late on Friday?? Granted, she hasn't bought glasses (except OTC readers) from us since 2005, so it's not like she's spending money every year here. And I don't have any leeway for staying late, anyway (I gotta get home to be with our son so my husband can leave for work when I get there. It's just how it works for us). But I feel a little jilted, that she bought glasses somewhere else after sashaying in that day.

Okay, I've got it off my chest. It doesn't bother me so much anymore. Is there a smiley for a guy laying on a couch spilling his heart to a therapist??
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post

It's like asking how much is a car? Do you want a Kia or a Bugatti or something in between?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Do you have any of the colored clear contacts?

Do you want clear contacts with no color or do you want colored contacts that change the color of your eyes?

Yes I want the ones I don't need a prescription for.

Arrgh

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, I love it when people tell me "clear" when they mean "plano." Of course, the general public doesn't know this term, but Clear means Clear, as in, no pigment. The alternative is tinted/polarized/photochromic. I do my best to educate the pt without making them feel ignorant. . .

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Okay, I may have shot myself in the foot on this one.

Yesterday (Monday), I get a call from Miss I Know You're About to Close, saying she'd found frames she liked elsewhere, and they were less expensive, so I don't have to hold those frames for her anymore. Now, I'm not that broken-hearted, because now I don't have to follow up with her and fulfill her every need, but did I lose a sale because I didn't stay late on Friday?? Granted, she hasn't bought glasses (except OTC readers) from us since 2005, so it's not like she's spending money every year here. And I don't have any leeway for staying late, anyway (I gotta get home to be with our son so my husband can leave for work when I get there. It's just how it works for us). But I feel a little jilted, that she bought glasses somewhere else after sashaying in that day.

Okay, I've got it off my chest. It doesn't bother me so much anymore. Is there a smiley for a guy laying on a couch spilling his heart to a therapist??
    Close.

Closer.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Yeah, I love it when people tell me "clear" when they mean "plano." Of course, the general public doesn't know this term, but Clear means Clear, as in, no pigment. The alternative is tinted/polarized/photochromic. I do my best to educate the pt without making them feel ignorant. . .
    Me too but it sure can be difficult, bless their hearts. Next is the conversation explaining that a prescription actually is required.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Closer.
    Is that smiley trying to seduce me??

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Me too but it sure can be difficult, bless their hearts. Next is the conversation explaining that a prescription actually is required.
    Wow, I'd forgotten about that point (I haven't had to have that conversation in a while). You have to explain that they need a doctor to determine that no Rx is necessary in the first place. If we make plano glasses, and they actually do need correction, and go have a wreck because of it, we're liable, right?? That's the angle I've used.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually plano is a Spainish word meaning flat, level, plane. Also has a definition of: masculine noun (I have no clue what's up with that.
    For us a plano used to mean a flat lens surface, later ment a zero (flat) power. Too bad so many labs say they can't even grind a plano surface anymore.

Chip

Don't think you are liable for grinding a plano lens (what ya gonna do, get the PD wrong). Suspect an optician can grind any lens he wants to or is asked to as long as it is not designated as being for a specific patient. Where's the liability in grinding a magnifier, or telescope lens or whatever. As long as no one says it's for specific use as an eyeglass, it's just a lens.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 09-26-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wow, I'd forgotten about that point (I haven't had to have that conversation in a while). You have to explain that they need a doctor to determine that no Rx is necessary in the first place. If we make plano glasses, and they actually do need correction, and go have a wreck because of it, we're liable, right?? That's the angle I've used.
    It isn't the power for which they need a prescription (as opposed to a specification); because it's a contact lens, which is regulated as if it were a drug, they need an Rx. Forget whether they can see, the question is whether their ocular health will be compromised.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    It isn't the power for which they need a prescription (as opposed to a specification); because it's a contact lens, which is regulated as if it were a drug, they need an Rx. Forget whether they can see, the question is whether their ocular health will be compromised.
    Oh, I totally understand about a CL Rx, for plano lenses. I was actually referring to plano glasses, as if someone wanted to pay $346 so they could have fancy-schmancy glasses with JUICY on the side. I'd never really been told differently (although plano sunglasses in an ophthalmic frame were never an issue. . .). Now I'm thinking back to wherever I'd heard it in the first place. . . o_O

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A lady called and wanted to make an appt to see the obstetrician. I told her we usually work on the other end, but can take a look if you want.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [/QUOTE] Is there a smiley for a guy laying on a couch spilling his heart to a therapist??[/QUOTE]

He's a board certified therapist...Got the degree from the internet!

Closer.

He's not laying on the couch---yet.
    Or did you want to be lying on a therapists couch?

Occupation
    Psychotherapists aren't fooling me. I know what they're about. Talk about hiding in plain sight. Psycho/the/rapist.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Buy One Get One Free... Is that the same as half off?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Are these glasses transitions?"

"Do they turn color outside?"

"I don't know."

Le sigh.

Occupation
    No, they're transgressions.

Occupation
    If I get 50% off and then 50% off the remaining price, it's free, right?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    If I get 50% off and then 50% off the remaining price, it's free, right?
    That's how you get free auto insurance - just keep changing companies and saving $500 each time, pretty soon, it's free, right?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information