Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question thread

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it possible for the prescription to leak out of the lenses?
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yes, if you leave them upside down. But if you leave them right side up for a day the medicine will go back in.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Is my prescription high enough to cause glare? Because I don't want the anti-reflective thing if I don't need it."

Occupation
    " I don't want no glare!" Do you mean you don't want glare, or do you mean you don't want anti reflective coating? "Yeah". So which is it? "What's the difference?"
    arrgghhhhh

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So another new one for me. Patient to me today: "I sleep in my glasses because it helps me see my dreams better."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We get this multiple times per day. (ETA: I meant to quote a former post regarding insurance questions here, lol) People think there is some magical optical insurance database that we all subscribe to.

Also because of our demographic we deal daily with the medicare patient who is angry that they don't pay on their glasses. Usually older men who think we young girls don't know what we are doing and are just trying to take their social security check.

And my all time fave, the patients returning for the contact lens check without the contacts, after being told at the I&R, and again on the phone when the appointment is confirmed that they need to WEAR the dang things to the contact lens CHECK!! Actual question from last week, "why did I need to wear them, you told me they were my prescription, you don't want them back do you?"

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    So another new one for me. Patient to me today: "I sleep in my glasses because it helps me see my dreams better."
    I fit a woman a couple weeks ago with "sleeping glasses." They're really a backup for her contacts, but she uses them to fall asleep in, so she can have some clear vision when she wakes up. B^[
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is getting my ABO certification worth it?

Who is the ABO and what do they really do anyway?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I wear my heart on my sleeve. Just take it or leave it!"

What? Your heart or your sleeve?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can I paddle my canoe with a pancake?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    86 Year old to me, "Will you cheat on your husband with me?"

eew.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

eew.

Great!......I hope I remember this pick-up line, when I get that old! I wonder if it works for him?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

eew.
    Ah, hahahaha! Yeah, ewww. Did he have a Mrs. with him when he said it?

I haven't had this so much in the last few years, as our practice is kind of heavy towards kiddos, but the old men seemed to flirt with me a lot. And when they learned my name (an older, Bible name), some would get kind of fresh! Yes, it's flattering that you think I'm young and cute (I'm not so young anymore. . . maybe that's why??), but no thank you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patient was sure to remind me one day this week that he wanted his bifocals on both lenses. Whew! So glad he did! :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    Patient was sure to remind me one day this week that he wanted his bifocals on both lenses. Whew! So glad he did! :)
    I had a pt that had macular degeneration in last week. Peripheral vision only in one eye. We discussed whether she wanted progressives in both lenses or just a cosmetic lens in the affected eye for economic reasons. I explained that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference but she chose both. Maybe that's not always a stupid question.

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    "Does this outfit make me look fat?"

Or is that the most dangerous question?
    its really dangerous and terrible...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    Ah, hahahaha! Yeah, ewww. Did he have a Mrs. with him when he said it?

I haven't had this so much in the last few years, as our practice is kind of heavy towards kiddos, but the old men seemed to flirt with me a lot. And when they learned my name (an older, Bible name), some would get kind of fresh! Yes, it's flattering that you think I'm young and cute (I'm not so young anymore. . . maybe that's why??), but no thank you.
    His wife wasn't with him this week while he was picking up his glasses, however he did tell me that his wife caught him cheating one time and it was not pretty.
    tmi dude, tmi. I honestly couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I am the old man magnet, and I suppose I always will be. I have never, ever attracted the cute younger guys. I get the Medicaid patients and the old crusty guys.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    His wife wasn't with him this week while he was picking up his glasses, however he did tell me that his wife caught him cheating one time and it was not pretty.
    tmi dude, tmi. I honestly couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I am the old man magnet, and I suppose I always will be. I have never, ever attracted the cute younger guys. I get the Medicaid patients and the old crusty guys.
    I feel your pain, OL. The older ladies LOVE me. Of course, I'm dating a much younger hottie, so I really can't complain when the older ladies flirt...
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a mom in with her 3 young girls (ages 5-9) and one of the girls needed glasses. The mother spoke (what I could tell) Persian. And the little girls asked "My mom wants to know if we can catch any diseases with these frames?" At first I thought it was a translation thing so I asked to clarify and she said "My mom is asking if we will get sick, or catch the flu from wearing glasses?"

I almost wanted to say "Yes you will, the Doctor wants you to wear these glasses so you get sick."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stupid question of today: a lady walks in at 11:56 (we close at noon on Fridays), and says "I know you're about to close, but can I take another look at that frame you ordered for me in the different color?" "WHAT?? NO, YOU CAN'T, NOW GO AWAY!" is what I really wanted to say. Being the polite gal that I am, I let her look again, but stayed standing while she gazed at her reflection for a minute, indicating that I wasn't about to start a conversation about lenses, options, etc.

When people ask what time do we close on Friday, I tell them we LEAVE at noon. We take it seriously. 8~[

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just tell 'em 11:30. We close at noon on Saturday and we tell people who call we close at 11:30 and still have to stay over sometimes.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Just tell 'em 11:30. We close at noon on Saturday and we tell people who call we close at 11:30 and still have to stay over sometimes.
    We close at 1 but notify and tell patients noon. The office manager doesn't want us to but guess who never works Saturdays!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I totally agree, but if it got back to my Doc, I don't think he'd like it. By telling people we leave at noon (instead of just close at noon), hopefully that puts it in their head there's not a chance we will stick around a little bit after. And I'm not ashamed to use my son as an excuse for "Sorry, I've gotta go." Then people are a little more understanding.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    "Is it ok to wear my coloured contacts inside out? That way I like the colour better".

"Hi, I'd like to buy a screw? I'm going on vacation and I'd like a spare... Two? No one is fine. Why would I need two? I also have one spare tire in my car."

On the phone: "I got semen in my eye, is that a problem?"

"Could you tell me what material this is? Acetate... can you give me a chemical breakdown?" (This turned out to be one of my coolest customers ever, amazing dude ^_^)

Question asked today: "I'd like a glare coating on these" ... sure...

"I've scratched my lens, can you buff the scratch out? No? Hmm..."
    Next day: "I'd like a new lens, it appears you were right, you can't buff the scratch out" The guy buffed out most of the AR of his lens.

We have an old UV demo in the store, with a shiney button. Every now and the a guy (always a guy) presses it, the light flickers and he asks "what is this button for". Then my collegue replies, "Oh, that's the masculine button. If you press it you're defenetly a guy" You should see the look on their faces ^_^

A couple of years ago I worked in a different store. There I was a huge chick magnet, to bad they were beyond their sell by date. I've had several elderly woman holding my hand, "oh you're so charming". NO, YOU CAN'T TAKE ME HOME. NOW LET GO!
    Last edited by Mactire; 09-17-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    Stupid question of today: a lady walks in at 11:56 (we close at noon on Fridays), and says "I know you're about to close, but can I take another look at that frame you ordered for me in the different color?" "WHAT?? NO, YOU CAN'T, NOW GO AWAY!" is what I really wanted to say. Being the polite gal that I am, I let her look again, but stayed standing while she gazed at her reflection for a minute, indicating that I wasn't about to start a conversation about lenses, options, etc.

When people ask what time do we close on Friday, I tell them we LEAVE at noon. We take it seriously. 8~[
    Jeez, so it happens over there too.......

We always tell folks when the can collect their specs and STILL they turn up when they can't and get shirty because they can't.

When they come back and they CAN get their specs, they invariably complain. When reminded that they were told the couldn't collect their glasses when they tried to, they always say "Yeah, but I didn't think you meant it"

Err, why would we say it in the first place?

Thread Information