Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid question thread

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    "I like these here frames but I don't want the Nike symbol thing on my lens, can I get mine without it?" For you? Yes.
    I only get this with Jalapenos frames. Nearly every person who tries them on asks, "Will this chili pepper be on there?" Ugh.

Kids seem to want the Nike symbol on their lenses, though. I guess it makes them feel cool. *shrug*
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Coco:

I would say at near 50 % of customers will tell me that they like a particular frame but would not buy it because of the trademark. I have posted and told many frame reps and manufacturers that they would sell twice as many of thier frames if each were available without the large exteriorly visible trademark. True many do buy them at least in part to show off the trade mark, but others genuinely like the frame design but don't care to advertise for the designer.
    Actually they could sell the plain model for the same price as the marked one which would amount to a few cents less in cost not having to install an exterior logo.
    Of course I have never had a frame manufacturer agree to this. And I have had some say the "designer's contract" wouldn't allow them to do this.

Chip

I so agree! So many people have told me that the don't want to be a walking billbord for a particular brand.

By the way, why did this thread turn so serious? It was supposed to be silly. Le sigh, just another day on optiboard.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Can god create a problem so difficult that he can't solve it? Why or why not?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    How far can a dog run into the woods?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Which one of those glasses is my subscription? -about the demos

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=chip anderson;394605 In many cases these are the people that are offended by any Christian display or Holliday but see a celebration of Ramadan as a glorious display of diversity.
    Chip[/QUOTE]

Sorry Chip, I'm a practicing Buddhist. But your comment does beg the question, "What would a Ramadan display include?" An empty plate, perhaps?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Can god create a problem so difficult that he can't solve it? Why or why not?
    I dunno, but mankind can pose unanswerable questions, such as "What is God"?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee and I thought Buddist weren't supposed to get offended by anything or anyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back to stupid questions:

In my office there is a guitar with three capos on the head stock. Everyday I am asked the same question, "Do you play the guitar?"

Yep, here's your sign.

I think I'll change the last line of the reading card to say, "Now that this amazing feat of prestidigitation has been completed, feel free to tell your friends and family about Corner Optical!" It may be fun to watch everyone stumble.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee and I thought Buddist weren't supposed to get offended by anything or anyone.
    Buddhist can be offended... they just cant kill you. :hammer:
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Back to stupid questions:

In my office there is a guitar with three capos on the head stock. Everyday I am asked the same question, "Do you play the guitar?"

Yep, here's your sign.

I think I'll change the last line of the reading card to say, "Now that this amazing feat of prestidigitation has been completed, feel free to tell your friends and family about Corner Optical!" It may be fun to watch everyone stumble.

At the risk of opening myself up for the "here's your sign" award of the day, I have to ask, why 3 capos on the headstock? I own several but usually only have them each on their own seperate guitar.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejeezus View Post
    At the risk of opening myself up for the "here's your sign" award of the day, I have to ask, why 3 capos on the headstock? I own several but usually only have them each on their own seperate guitar.
    One capo might be used to change the pitch across the board, another to change the open tuning without detuning one or more strings, and a third might have different cutouts for additional open tunings. The partial capo might come in handy when playing slide, but most folks use a different guitar for that.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    How far can a dog run into the woods?
    Ha! A brain teaser! Hmmm...this has to be trick question.... I'm gonna guess that it can only run halfway, then it'll be running out of the woods. Just my guess, it's probably something more metaphysical.
    Last edited by scottster; 08-02-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard a news report yesterday that a dog had to be airlifted out of a national park because of exhaustion.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    One capo might be used to change the pitch across the board, another to change the open tuning without detuning one or more strings, and a third might have different cutouts for additional open tunings. The partial capo might come in handy when playing slide, but most folks use a different guitar for that.
    And here's my "Ahaaa! " moment. I should have thought of that :P I keep 2 in standard tuning, 1 in open G and 1 in open D and a square neck reso that I'll change as I feel the mood lol.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard a news report yesterday that a dog had to be airlifted out of a national park because of exhaustion.
    http://gillreport.com/2011/08/dog-ai...-out-on-trail/

My husband showed this to me and said they should have rescued the dog in this manner:

1. Land helicopter.
    2. Put dog on board.
    3. Shoot dog's owner(s).
    4. Take dog home.
    5. Have dog owner's estate pay for rescue.
    Last edited by Johns; 08-02-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejeezus View Post
    Not a dumb question at all! to be honest I didn't know about this until a couple of years ago. Basically I have one regular Capo (White) One 'Drop D Capo (Black) and one Cut Capo (Blue)
    By placing them up in order on the neck of the guitar I can alter the tuning quickly and create some interesting sounds.
    Case in point I like to play a Richard Schindell song called Fleur de lis. I could retune the guitar to DADGAD and put a full capo on the first fret or I could put a full capo on the first fret and a cut capo on the third fret and play it that way. Easier and sounds a little more interesting. (just remember to reach around the cut capo for the Em. Interestingly anoth song I like, Stronger for your Flame by Randall Williams, is played this way. In the video he also explains the tuning. As a side line Randall played at my wedding last year, amazing guitarist and a great guy. Now if I could just get Causeway down I'd be happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1112.jpg   IMG_1113.jpg  
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tdj View Post
    The last line on my reading card includes the word "extensive."

Without fail, 70% of pts say "exclusive." I still haven't figured it out. I work in a fairly well-off, well-educated town.
    ..and that would be why. Their brains are preconditioned to see/use that word more often. Just a hunch.
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I keep getting asked the question, "Why/how did the medicine run out in my glasses?" Figured I'd ask you all to see what would be the best response (and this seemed like a good place to ask). :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lucky you, I'm dying for someone to ask me that......not once in 35 yrs! I just get: these don't work, they're c..p, while showing me 10+ yr old beat to %#$@ foggy lenses......I tell them if they looked like that, they wouldn't "work" either. In NY they won't admit to them ever being good!
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW!!!! Maybe it has more to do with location or age. I have only heard this from some of my older patients. I was in the middle of an argument between a husband and wife about it recently.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by thatNCoptician View Post
    I keep getting asked the question, "Why/how did the medicine run out in my glasses?" Figured I'd ask you all to see what would be the best response (and this seemed like a good place to ask). :)
    "You must've left them lying upside down. Just leave them out right side up for a couple of nights and they'll be ok."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Simple pull out a copy of their Rx and show them.." Well Mrs. Smith, the OD put a one year expiration on your prescription. You're lucky it lasted this long!"

I still think the new smiley's are sissy..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Must be an NC thing because I hear it often. It seems to mean "my glasses are not as effective as they used to be." Also, I've never heard a white person say it. They say equally funny things, but nothing about medicine in the glasses.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Must be an NC thing because I hear it often.
    It's at least a Carolinas thing because I hear it all the time, even from opticians and frame stylists.

Thread Information