Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid question thread

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Bob, I am concerned that you have just proven the former English teacher for 18 years point. Didn't you just end your last sentence with a preposition? (to be)
    "Be" is not a preposition. It is a helping verb. I had to memorize the 23 helping verbs in the 5th and 7th grades, and they're burned into my memory forever. I could rattle them off, if you really want to hear the list! (wink, wink).

Here's my question of all times: what would chairs look like if our knees were on backwards?
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    I am well acquainted with the folks at imatters and they are really great people who provide a great service. I wonder if the way to help them find quailified staff is to beat them up over typos.

The title of this thread is destined to dissuade people from posting, let alone the general snarky-ness that has driven most of our best members to other forums.

I think it's time for everyone to go outside and play in the sun.
    I am simply using their post as an example. Unfortunately they are just one of the many offenders. And to be fair, it wasn't just a typo, but a series of typos, fragmented sentences, and misspelled words in a post that sought to attract the "professionals" of our business.

It's nice you know them, but what are we to think of a solicitation for professionals that may as well have been scratched out on the back of a cocktail napkin? Nice people or not, what are we to think?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    "Be" is not a preposition. It is a helping verb.
    You are correct!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    I am simply using their post as an example. Unfortunately they are just one of the many offenders. And to be fair, it wasn't just a typo, but a series of typos, fragmented sentences, and misspelled words in a post that sought to attract the "professionals" of our business.

It's nice you know them, but what are we to think of a solicitation for professionals that may as well have been scratched out on the back of a cocktail napkin? Nice people or not, what are we to think?
    If their intention was to attract your attention to a job posting, I think it worked.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    I hads me an exzam in yur office last week and the doc tol' me that I'z gots Cadillacs in my eyes and I needs ta see an offtha mole gist.... But I dun't understand ... how did I gets them cars in mah eyes?
    Now this I find offensive on many levels. Darby, what do you think?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Torn Bread!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally Posted by Ecliptic
    I hads me an exzam in yur office last week and the doc tol' me that I'z gots Cadillacs in my eyes and I needs ta see an offtha mole gist.... But I dun't understand ... how did I gets them cars in mah eyes?
    Now this I find offensive on many levels. Darby, what do you think?
    What do I think?

Well, seeing as this was posted in the "Stupid Question Thread", I'd say that it is appropriate. If this had been posted by someone hoping to attract an employee that had a particular regional dialect, appropriate for their office, it would have been equally appropriate.

I'm not sure if I could really be offended by anything posted under the thread title, "Stupid question thread" However, now that you mention it, I'm sure that some folks are offended solely by the use of the word "Stupid", as they are so vain, they probably think this thread is about them.

I'm not offended by grammar, semantics, nor seemingly educated peoples' inability to properly construct sentences. I'm more baffled at society's willingness to accept mediocre writing/speaking skills, especially in the context of trying to attract professionals.

Offensive? If I found this offensive, I would not have a skin thick enough to allow me to work in some of the offices that I free lance in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...in which I freelance.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...in which I freelance.

Should I blame the late hour, the wine, my lack of education, or all of the above?

I'm going with "all of the above"!

Touche'!
    Last edited by Johns; 07-30-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Subtract 10 points!!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    ...in which I freelance.
    BAM, BABY!!!

Sorry. It's the first thing that came to mind.

As long as we're on the subject, here is my cousin-in-law's blog for today:

http://www.bowlesonline.com/common-g...he-wrong-word/
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    BAM, BABY!!!

Sorry. It's the first thing that came to mind.

As long as we're on the subject, here is my cousin-in-law's blog for today:

http://www.bowlesonline.com/common-g...he-wrong-word/
    Sorry? Don't be! It was the first thing that came to MY mind after I hit "submit reply"! I knew I'd catch heck for it!:bbg: Glass houses do not keep enough light out!

I love your cousin-law's blog! It should be required reading for all incoming (high school and college) freshman!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by the meb View Post
    bob, i am concerned that you have just proven the former english teacher for 18 years point. Didn't you just end your last sentence with a preposition? (to be)
    :D

...Lol!
    Last edited by MEB; 07-31-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do I think?

Well, seeing as this was posted in the "Stupid Question Thread", I'd say that it is appropriate. If this had been posted by someone hoping to attract an employee that had a particular regional dialect, appropriate for their office, it would have been equally appropriate.

I'm not sure if I could really be offended by anything posted under the thread title, "Stupid question thread" However, now that you mention it, I'm sure that some folks are offended solely by the use of the word "Stupid", as they are so vain, they probably think this thread is about them.

I'm not offended by grammar, semantics, nor seemingly educated peoples' inability to properly construct sentences. I'm more baffled at society's willingness to accept mediocre writing/speaking skills, especially in the context of trying to attract professionals.

Offensive? If I found this offensive, I would not have a skin thick enough to allow me to work in some of the offices that I free lance in.
    Hmmm, let me guess your ethnicity....

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You're allowed to guess her regional dialect, Not her ethnicity ;)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm, let me guess your ethnicity....
    Well gee whiz, this shouldn't be much of challenge for you. I don't hide behind a pseudonym, I go by my maiden name, which is Darby, and I've previously stated I live in a town that was named after my ancestors.

If you are inferring that the post you found offensive was racist, then I would suggest you have a long list of ethnic types to choose from. In fact, that post could have been the replication of any number of dialects (if that's what you found offensive), but more likely it was the poster's take on the "Beverly Hillbillys".

Or, am I missing the point completely, and you took offense to the use of the term "Cadillacs"?

At least we are keeping with the spirit of thread! Keep the ____________questions coming! (Left blank at the risk of offending anyone.)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Why are so called "STUPID THREADS" among the most popular........................

Why are so called "STUPID THREADS" among the most popular on OptiBoard, and why do the often go into insults ? Most views in the shortest time, like the newest one right here below.

Stupid question thread, Started by Wes‎, 07-29-2011 10:53 AM

2 Pages •1 2 , Replies: 40, Views: 733, Last Post By: Last Post: 07-31-2011 01:48 AM by Darby
    Forum: General Optics and Eyecare

<----------------------------------->

What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked, Started by mrmac‎, 02-23-2006 09:32 AM

32 Pages •1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32 , Replies: 798, Views: 75,512,
    Last Post By:Last Post: 03-18-2011 08:26 PMby k12311997 Forum: General Optics and Eyecare

<------------------------------------>

As long as I'm Asking Stupid Questions Today, Started by chip anderson‎, 05-07-2006 10:02 AM

• Replies: 13, Views: 941, Last Post By: Last Post: 05-09-2006 05:03 PMby loncoa
    Forum: General Optics and Eyecare

<-------------------------------------->

The Dumbing Down Factor, Started by jediron‎, 06-09-2003 10:47 PM

2 Pages • 1 2, Replies: 34, Views: 2,164, Last Post By: Last Post: 06-19-2003 07:55 PM by jediron

Forum:General Optics and Eyecare
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 07-31-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tdj View Post
    The last line on my reading card includes the word "extensive."
    Without fail, 70% of pts say "exclusive." I still haven't figured it out. I work in a fairly well-off, well-educated town.
    Considering your patient base and my own experience with them it's probably not a mistake.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I like these here frames but I don't want the Nike symbol thing on my lens, can I get mine without it?" For you? Yes.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    "I like these here frames but I don't want the Nike symbol thing on my lens, can I get mine without it?" For you? Yes.
    don't worry we only charge an extra $20 to remove the diamond chip from the vera bradly lenses and we'll throw in removing the name for free.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not so Stupid Question

Coco:

I would say at near 50 % of customers will tell me that they like a particular frame but would not buy it because of the trademark. I have posted and told many frame reps and manufacturers that they would sell twice as many of thier frames if each were available without the large exteriorly visible trademark. True many do buy them at least in part to show off the trade mark, but others genuinely like the frame design but don't care to advertise for the designer.
    Actually they could sell the plain model for the same price as the marked one which would amount to a few cents less in cost not having to install an exterior logo.
    Of course I have never had a frame manufacturer agree to this. And I have had some say the "designer's contract" wouldn't allow them to do this.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I would say at near 50 % of customers will tell me that they like a particular frame but would not buy it because of the trademark.
    Absolutely, I have three or four frames I could sell everyday if not for the logo. Gone are the days when status logos were en vogue, it's now PC to be the inconspicuous consumer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well gee whiz, this shouldn't be much of challenge for you. I don't hide behind a pseudonym, I go by my maiden name, which is Darby, and I've previously stated I live in a town that was named after my ancestors.

If you are inferring that the post you found offensive was racist, then I would suggest you have a long list of ethnic types to choose from. In fact, that post could have been the replication of any number of dialects (if that's what you found offensive), but more likely it was the poster's take on the "Beverly Hillbillys".

Or, am I missing the point completely, and you took offense to the use of the term "Cadillacs"?

At least we are keeping with the spirit of thread! Keep the ____________questions coming! (Left blank at the risk of offending anyone.)
    Yes, you've missed the point. I posted on this board using my full name, my location and my employer from 1995 until about 2010. That was when some of our more contentious members decided to strike out at me through my employer. Just as one of the posters here has cleaned up his "colloquial" verbage, another decides it's acceptable and everyone plays along. I think long and hard about my posts and the impact they may have on my reputation and my standing within the group. The fact remains that I have as much right to be offended by "colorful" language as you. Perhaps my standards and expectations are, well, let's just say different from yours.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darby, you should live in Jackson, MS. Absolutely nothing happens in politics, construction, television, radio or any public forum without someone finding it to be either racist or offensive.
    At one time the news services were not allowed to describe wanted fellons (read: criminals being hunted for just commited crimes or escapees) by race. They were allowed to say tall, short fat, clothes described but not a word about race.
    There is always someone that find something to be offended by. We just have to live with these oversensitive
    people just as they have to live with us insensitive types. If they want to re-write Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), or Edgar Rice Burrows, we just have to put up with it. In many cases these are the people that are offended by any Christian display or Holliday but see a celebration of Ramadan as a glorious display of diversity.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same thing in Detroit Chip. Everyone, regardless of race wants and needs to know what color the perp is just in case he's knocking on the back door.

Thread Information