Thread: Accufit at LensCrafters

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Accufit at LensCrafters

Does anyone know what the platform is for LC's Accufit virtual try-on? CamMirror? Optikam? etc? The system is rolling out in many of the LC stores now, but I can't believe it's a proprietary system - must be based on another product?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee, I remember when Accu-Fit was a head-caliper. =)

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post

Most hilarious thing I've read all month!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I always wondered why people took so much stock in getting there head squeezed by a piece of plastic. They oozed professionalism.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post

Does anyone know what the platform is for LC's Accufit virtual try-on? CamMirror? Optikam? etc? The system is rolling out in many of the LC stores now, but I can't believe it's a proprietary system - must be based on another product?

IT's a digital measurement system used to take segment heights as well as PD measurements. Essentially it's a digital camera that's stuck to the back of a monitor that can rotate virtually 360 degrees. It also allows the customer to see what frames look like on them before purchasing. It also has a couple of cool features to demonstrate AR, Polarized lenses as well as showing the difference between standard PALs and Premium PALs. It's really a cool tool that should give Lenscrafters and leg up on the competition.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK - I remember when LC was owned by a shoe company, and they adapted the Brannock device for foot measurement to the head/face for frame measurement. Are you all laughing yet? Well, it went the way of the square wheel, and Lux got LC. But this time it's a bit more serious - LC's Accufit may become the standard "experience" for many consumers - They will like the VTO that allows them to see not only frames, but also lens treatments etc. Plus, it can take PDs and seg hgts. I guess this will allow LC to hire increasingly inexperienced sales people. The issue I see is that the VTO (virtual try on) experience will come to be what most optical consumers will expect. That may mean that ECPs will have to get on board with this technology. I still can't seem to discover what platform LC is using. Is anyone out there using a VTO/Measuring system? If you follow any of the fashion bloggers you'll find out that in NYC LC invited them to a roll-out of Accufit, complete with complimentary exam + glasses. They loved it (the bloggers I mean). I am not a Luddite by any means, and I see this technology as something we should all take a good look at.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sharon, I'm no Luddite either, but I'm not providing free advertising for the concept either. I believe that it just gives that much more credence to similar systems offered by online retailers. We need to provide the public with better educated and trained ECPs, not more automation to insinuate that "anybody" can do this. I don't know what platform they're using, but I'd hazard a guess that it's very similar to whatever is running Visioffice or FramesDirect.

Incidentally, the original Accu-Fit was designed to allow LC to hire fewer of those less experienced "frame stylists" by giving customers some "busywork" to do while waiting for assistance. One of the most difficult things I had to do as a Licensed Optician and an LC General Manager was to convince my Licensed staff that it was a good idea. I just couldn't stop giggling.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember back in the 1980's we were shown some system that took PDs and heights. We were allowed to use it for a week or so. I remember it being expensive and no better then doing it with a Pupilometer and ruler.

Now that I and so many patients have cameras on their phones I often offered to take pictures of them with different frames on.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Really????? Take a minute relax.......

Most people do not like thier own picture. How many times have you heard, I hate that picture of me. For example: peoples drivers license pictures. Most people just dont like seeing their own picture. Besides it takes forever!!! Trust me!! You guys!! Invest in selling yourself, your expertise and what sets you apart from the pain of the chains!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheeyeguy View Post
    Most people do not like thier own picture. How many times have you heard, I hate that picture of me. For example: peoples drivers license pictures. Most people just dont like seeing their own picture. Besides it takes forever!!! Trust me!! You guys!! Invest in selling yourself, your expertise and what sets you apart from the pain of the chains!!
    +1

Thread Information