Thread: You know when you're having one of those days????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You know when you're having one of those days????

It's been one of those weeks, when nothing can possibly go my way. So of course my beloved Marco 101 just died. I tried changing the bulb with a brand new one, and nothing. I'm limping by with a B&L that is also whacked out, but at least I can use it a little. Any ideas? I'm not electrically inclined at all, but I fear that I will be stuck with an older crappier model, and I feel this is a travesty. Any of you old dogs have any ideas (besides kicking it or hitting with a hammer)?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Look carefully at the inside of the bulb base. Sometimes those bulbs got too hot and have corroded the contacts inside. If so, unplug the unit and clean them up with a pencil eraser.
    Other possible problems - the actual switch can go bad, does it feel like it's clicking solidly, or is it just sorta smooshing when it's activated? If so the switch needs replaced. Sorry, that's a bit electrical in nature, but not all that hard.
    I don't think those had a transformer in them to burn out.
    The three problem areas can be switch, base, and bulb. Did you examine the bulbs to check that the filament is intact?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Where's optiman1 when you need him?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for answering so quickly Draggie Baby- you are always good about that. I took my completely unknowlegable eyes and looked at the areas you said to look at. I don't think I see any corrosion and the switch sounds like a good solid click. The bulb is milky in appearance so I can't see through, but I only have the one back up. I am very blue right now. My job is going to be yuck if I can't use my normal lensometer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have a B&L vertometer (model 70?) and you're using a Marco? Fix the B&L and toss the marco!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note: When soldering wires for new switch, it's no different than soldering a metal frame. Just be sure and use electrical tape to cover all contacts when finished. Also note: When you take the toggle switch to the hardware store compare sizes as there are dozens and not all of them can be crammed into every devise.
    If you are totally unable to find a switch you can join the two wires that ran to the switch, solder and tape. But then you have to plug and un-plug at the wall everytime you use and stop using it.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You have a B&L vertometer (model 70?) and you're using a Marco? Fix the B&L and toss the marco!!!
    Why? How's the B&L better? I've got very weak wrists and I can barely move any of the drums, but my Marco is like butta. Are the optics better?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, they are a whole lot betta in the B&L. If it's that stiff, it needs taken apart, cleaned and lubed.
    Any one of the three might help a lot, but all three would make the problem go away for the rest of your working lifetime.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The model 70 is the *gold* standard of lensometers. I would inflict bodily harm on anyone that tried to take mine away!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But Why? I'm not sure if I have the 70, now I must go check, ok I do. I don't like how the axis drum is on the opposite side of the machine than the sphere drum. I guess I"m just a creature of habit. But what is better????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, 1st off, they're built like a tank. They'll still be working when opticianry dies. But for me it's the visual, optical clarity in ALL power ranges. I find it the absolute best at diserning axis on low cyl's. I also think it superior on reading prism. I like the 180 ring for verifying resultant prism too. Seeing waves in lenses is easier too. I may seem biased, but I've used many lensometers over the years. Hands down a 70 *is* it. There's a good reason why they still cost more used than a 101 or similar does new.

It sounds like yours need some pampering. Get an opt tech that know how to clean, adjust and verify your B&L. Once you get used to the ergonomics, I think you'll prefer it. Good luck.
    Last edited by optical24/7; 07-27-2011 at 06:17 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact a fellow Optiboarder, Howard Gorin!

http://www.themachineryworks.com/

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not familiar with the marco, does it have fuses? maybe a blown fuse?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I could still neutralize all lenses ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

I am with 24/7 and have one since it was brand new and only needed a couple of bulbe and an ink pad.

However if I would be lost, I could still neutralize all lenses with a lens trial set as accurate as any lensometer. .......which means I grew up in the optical jungle.

Thread Information