Thread: Thoughts on OptiProfessor as a good sorce for ABO cert prep

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper Thoughts on OptiProfessor as a good sorce for ABO cert prep

After a 13 year break from optics I have decided to re enter the field and take the ABO cert exam once more, but I cant seem to find any study material. I found a site called OptiProfessor that offers Flash cards and practice tests for a reasonable sum. I was wondering if anyone has used, or know someone who has used, this system and whether or not it was effective. Thanks!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Given any thought to contacting the Opticians Assn of America for advise and study materials? I've been in the business 50 years and never heard of OptiProfessor.
    You might just go to Optiboards and click on Opthalmic Optics and Optichampus. It's free and more than you need to know (and I expect more than OptiProfessor knows is there.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper a thread called "some thoughts"...........................

Besides the ones mentioned, there is a thread called "some thoughts" its about some education...................................

A Brief Personal History

I am a native of the Midwest. I am also a Sikh. My career as an Optician began following active duty with the U.S. Marine Corps in 1958. My Dispensing Optician licenses in Florida and Arizona are current. I have been certified by the American Board of Opticianry, and National Contact Lens Examiners. I am currently a Dispenser-training consultant. And I am a passionate advocate of a) the resurgence of the Optician as a genuinely skilled Health Care Provider as opposed to today's Dispensers who are trained mostly as eyeglass merchants, b) resurgence of the Full Discovery and Disclosure Life-style Interview and Design of prescription eyewear, c) conscientious Hands-on-the-Patient delivery of prescription eyewear, and d) more effective hands-on training for aspiring Opticians in the art of custom designed lenses and the custom-fitting of eyeglass frames.

A Special Note

As a senior Ophthalmic Health Care Provider and founder of OpticalCourse.com, I am interested in sharing my experience in the dispensing of prescription eyewear. If you are a practitioner who recognizes the decades-old decline in dispensing skills and wish to incorporate hands-on-the-patient dispensing into your practice, or you need guidance in order to improve your skills and profitability, please visit these sites, OpticianryReview.com and OpticianryToday.com for more details, then contact me here.

Free Training Courses

For Eye Care Professionals
    by Opticians For Change

http://www.harisingh.com/aboutHSBOptical.htm

all information on Harry Bird at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisinghbird

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course I am quite partial to www.OpticianWorks.com.

Free

The most complete study text you will find on-line, hundreds of professional images, how-to videos, professional illustrations, and multiple choice ABO test prep questions after every chapter.

The site is used by doctors, students, multi-practice retail for staff training and even as a companion to a college opticianry program.

Don't take my word for it, check out the Testimonials and join the thousands that have taken the free on-line practice tests.

John
    Last edited by John@OWDC; 07-27-2011 at 08:12 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OpticianWorks.com is easy to use with helpful information. Plus, it is free.

Here are the steps I took to prepare for my ABO exam:
    1. Reviewed the training articles
    2. Took the online practice tests
    3. Reviewed information using the videos

I recommend this site to all my opti-friends. Try it! (Click the banner)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticAbby.O.o View Post
    After a 13 year break from optics I have decided to re enter the field and take the ABO cert exam once more, but I cant seem to find any study material. I found a site called OptiProfessor that offers Flash cards and practice tests for a reasonable sum. I was wondering if anyone has used, or know someone who has used, this system and whether or not it was effective. Thanks!
    All education systems/materials have merit to some degree.
    If OptiProfessor offers its product for a reasonable sum, then you make your own decision whether to buy.

Is this OptiProfessor system effective? That was the question posed!

Better/worse or cheaper/more expensive was not requested. Stick to the topic.

Thread Information