Thread: iPads and Optometry Apps? Any one converted to the current times? Reviews?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

iPads and Optometry Apps? Any one converted to the current times? Reviews?

I work in a high end boutique practice and am trying to convince my boss to cross over to the current times of technology (which he is open to doing... if I do all the leg work of course!) to reflect our modern high standards.

By this I mean getting rid of hard file copies and going completely digital with iPads. (because we know how fascinated the general public are with iPads, especially if an optometry practice is using them, we surely must be perceived as being superior to every one else....right?....well I'll keep telling myself that anyway)

Has any one here converted to using the iPads in their practice? Any rumours on the grape vine about issues practices have encountered with the change over?
    Its ok!.....I work at an independant!....and no, thats NOT on sale.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are no native practice management apps that let you move your work to the iPad. There are some apps that give you nifty dispensing tools (EyeDispense app for iPad 2 http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/eyedispense-for-ipad2/id439688157?mt=8), and some PM systems have ipad compatible features (myvisionexpress and macpractice can do a few things on ipad). Ipads cannot replace computers yet, so trying to fit all your practice needs onto it won't be easy, nor recommended.

The coolest thing I recommend right now is just remote desktoping to work with your regular PM software on your ipad. I am playing with it a little for fun (though I have the original ipad so it's a little slow for that. ipad 2 might be much better, haven't tried) and the best app I've found is Splashtop Remote. On LAN it's very fast, fast enough to transmit watchable video and allow game play (I've played WOW on it. A little clunky, but doable.) and it almost seem like you are working live on your desktop. I like it best of all the RDP apps because it automatically switches your desktop's resolution to native ipad res on connect so you see the full screen without scrolling needed, plus it works by touch like an ipad, not scrolling the mouse cursor around.

The biggest problem is just stability. Sometimes RDP apps have trouble connecting, sometimes they drop connection and your need to restart the app. Not a huge deal, but kind of a pain in the middle of helping a customer, and all your techy glitz comes to a screeching halt when the app crashes in fron of the customer. There's excellent potential, but it's at the stage of curiosity and fun, not enterprise.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dr. Chrono EMR is a native ipad app... but its more of an all purpose general medicine app, no optical/dispensing function.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am tired to make draw with my pencil to explain some optical concepts : A/R, Polarization, Different type of progressive lenses, etc...
    I am also looking for demo soft on an iPad witch look me very attractive for the customers.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have converted to using on computer system with Myvisionexpress and have actually used the iPad in the office. But like the earlier thread had mention, it is not a native app. So you have to purchase a middleware to let your ipad connect to the server. But the response is too slow and too inaccurate for any meaningful used.

Thread Information