Thread: Replacing a figure 8 nylon cord in a semi rimless frame.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Replacing a figure 8 nylon cord in a semi rimless frame.

I had a patient who was in a jam, no backup glasses and her upper nylon cord was missing in her semi rimless glasses. ( Ican't understand how they loose those) I had a hell of a time trying to insert a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions for turning this repair into a less time consuming method. Appreaciate any help or tips anyone has.
    Thanks for reading.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    First, remove the entire string. Cut your replacement figure-8 nylon at a steep angle to make a point rather than straight across. This will make it easier to get it started in the slot. Also, it's a good idea to clean the frame in an ultrasonic before starting to clean out any obstructions in the slot. I find using the edge of a slot file helps to grab the nylon and push it along the slot until you get it to a point where you cut it off. Be sure to cut it off short enough to continue moving and to leave room for the bottom string to clear the holes. Also be aware that there are basically two sizes to the replacement figure-8. Trying to cram a larger size into a smaller slot will not work and make the customers wonder what the explosion in the back is.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    First, remove the entire string. Cut your replacement figure-8 nylon at a steep angle to make a point rather than straight across. This will make it easier to get it started in the slot. Also, it's a good idea to clean the frame in an ultrasonic before starting to clean out any obstructions in the slot. I find using the edge of a slot file helps to grab the nylon and push it along the slot until you get it to a point where you cut it off. Be sure to cut it off short enough to continue moving and to leave room for the bottom string to clear the holes. Also be aware that there are basically two sizes to the replacement figure-8. Trying to cram a larger size into a smaller slot will not work and make the customers wonder what the explosion in the back is.

+1, except that I find it is easier to use a razor to get the figure 8 started.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Freshness counts.

When mine got to be a few years old I too had a repair that rhymes with whitch. On a hunch I ordered a new one and it went much easier.

Have you ever used the third flat size?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On removing the old chord, a dental pic and a single edge razor blade can be most usefull, sometimes the single edge razor can be a big help in getting the new chord in.
    Under no circumstances should one ever attempt to solder this type frame without removing the figure 8 chord. Been there done that and it was a real mess.
    These also deteriorate sometimes and much of the lens side of the figure 8 will break off, replacement needed.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Under no circumstances should one ever attempt to solder this type frame without removing the figure 8 chord. Been there done that and it was a real mess.
    Chip
    I did that myself recently but it led to a discovery: A teeny drop of household oil in the groove and the whole mess slid out easily with a file.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had ones where the top eyewire was almost a 90 degree angle I had to unbend it a little and then reform it after I got the figure 8 liner in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I've had ones where the top eyewire was almost a 90 degree angle I had to unbend it a little and then reform it after I got the figure 8 liner in.
    I ran into that the other day with an evil flat metal frame that is almost impossible to bend. My only choice was to put about 1/3 the amount in and say a prayer that the lens stays in. Never ordering that frame again.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Replace Figure 8 Wire

Thanks for all the hints. I did try most of them. But the oil in the slot may help. I'm afraid of the razor, I'm not coordinated enough for that. But you never know I may be
    pressured into trying that sometime. Lucky for me this rarely comes up.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1/3 the amount: There is nothing written in stone that the figure 8 liner has to be one piece. One could if needed put three pieces in to fill the space and hold the lens completely. Cudo's to psuedo for the oil suggestion. It's a good one that makes me feel really stupid for not having thought of it myself decades ago.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1/3 the amount: There is nothing written in stone that the figure 8 liner has to be one piece. One could if needed put three pieces in to fill the space and hold the lens completely. Cudo's to psuedo for the oil suggestion. It's a good one that makes me feel really stupid for not having thought of it myself decades ago.

Chip
    Wow, another duh moment. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm so stupid sometimes, thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just use the eye cheese that's there already.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I just use the eye cheese that's there already.
    EEeeewww.........! It ain't easy bein' Cheesy!

I use a little plastic stick pin(tack), some WD40 for lube and that usually does it. Ultasonic booger cleanup is usually a time saver. :o
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you know they make pliers for inserting the figure 8 liner. Instead of fishing the thing through just crimp it into place. Much easier way to fix this type of thing.

My $0.02

KC
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a good one that makes me feel really stupid for not having thought of it myself decades ago.

Chip
    Someone here wrote it in the Dispensing Tips thread. Since that thread is 500 pages long, I don't want to go back and find out who the original genius was.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    you know they make pliers for inserting the figure 8 liner. Instead of fishing the thing through just crimp it into place. Much easier way to fix this type of thing.

My $0.02

KC
    Reeeealllly? I never heard of such a thing. I love optical tools, maybe I'll go a hunt tomorrow.

Thread Information