Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Edger Time

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Before things go completely to Santinelli, why not at least check the Weco from AIT?? Might surprise you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I have no idea where you get this information from but wherever it is you may seriously want to find another source. Or take the time to do a little research."

Here are some facts about equipment manufacturers and distributors:
    US Distibutor Manufacturer
    Santinelli Nidek, Japan
    Essilor Instruments Essilor, France
    AIT Indo, Spain & Weco, Germany
    Briot Luneau/Visionix, France/Israel
    Optronics Optronics/Essilor, United States
    Coburn Technologies Huvitz, South Korea

All equipment warranties are usually provided by the manufacturer and not the distributor. It is not cost effective for a distrubutor to extend the warranty beyond the manufacturers warranty due to the cost of parts and shipping to the distributor. Remember, that the cost of labor and travel that is covered during the warranty period is covered by the seller and not the manufacturer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    "I have no idea where you get this information from but wherever it is you may seriously want to find another source. Or take the time to do a little research."

Santinelli Nidek, Japan

All equipment warranties are usually provided by the manufacturer and not the distributor. It is not cost effective for a distrubutor to extend the warranty beyond the manufacturers warranty due to the cost of parts and shipping to the distributor. Remember, that the cost of labor and travel that is covered during the warranty period is covered by the seller and not the manufacturer.
    The original quote was:
    "I, honestly believe, a small company like Coburn would not offer anyone a 3 year warranty until they believed in the reliability of their machines. Plus, its always easier to get a service tech from a small business arrive at your place way faster than a huge company (such as Santinelli) whose service reps are part salesman as well. They have known to convince people who have service issues to "upgrade" to a completely new edger."

So, I stand by my statement, calling Santinelli, "huge" and Coburn "small" is all relative and making assumptions on the level of service that they may, or may not, be able to provide based on size seems unsubstantial.

However, I here by admit, that I was wrong in making the very assumption that I was accusing someone else of doing. Santinelli is in fact, statistically, the largest combined manufacturer/distributor pairing in the ranking you post. I do apologize.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadkhan00 View Post
    I, honestly believe, a small company like Coburn would not offer anyone a 3 year warranty until they believed in the reliability of their machines.
    That would make Hyundai the best car on the planet.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    That would make Hyundai the best car on the planet.
    It is one of the best:

http://www.hyundaiinthenews.com/hyun...est-cars-list/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_and_Driver_10Best#2011

I prefer my BMW 325i also a 10 Best.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, I stand by my statement, calling Santinelli, "huge" and Coburn "small" is all relative and making assumptions on the level of service that they may, or may not, be able to provide based on size seems unsubstantial.

However, I here by admit, that I was wrong in making the very assumption that I was accusing someone else of doing. Santinelli is in fact, statistically, the largest combined manufacturer/distributor pairing in the ranking you post. I do apologize.

[/QUOTE]

No apology is needed as this is a discussion and we all are just trying to reach the facts of our industry.
    Being inquisitive, what facts or statistics are available to substantiate your statement, "Santinelli is in fact, statistically, the largest combined manufacturer/distributor . . . . . . ."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was taking it from the list that you provided.

I read it to mean that they were listed in order of size since my comment was about the perceived "size" of Santinelli.

Santinelli Nidek, Japan

Darn, now I feel even worse...

I may be letting my passion get in the way of rational thought, sort of like rooting for a sports team...
    I guess I am just a die-hard Santinelli fan.
    I do own a giant, foam, lens-head hat.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Car & Driver, a perfect example of pick anything but the biggest.

Notice Toyota and Lexus is missing from their "best list" but auto buyers disagree.

When Car & Driver made mistake in their addition and named the 325i a winner over the Lexus IS300, instead of admitting they made a mistake and naming the is300 the winner, they took points away from the IS300 to keep BMW on top.
    Last edited by braheem24; 08-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always check out edgers at VEE, but didn't look at the Nidek machines this year. How much would a ME 1200 cost?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I own a Mr. Blue since 18 months without problem.
    Keep in mind that our workplace will be more and more connected with PMS and refraction material.
    Perfect job, memorization of each job on a PC for a further replacement if the customer have to change his glasses (very practical for special work !)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just recently purchased a Santinelli edger and I can't even begin to tell you how pleased we have been with the product, price, support and overall experience. We have been researching edgers for about 5 years and each time we go back to Santinelli, I must tell you that I was a little worried with how hard it would be to train the other employees but they took care of EVERYTHING! My sales consultant is available whenever I need him and so is the 1-800support team. We have such a better response from out patients because the turn around time is so much better on jobs and the machine is pretty much dummy proof in my opinion. I would be happy to talk to you about our experience or send you to our sales person. My email is bmanuel@crosbyfamilyvision.com and I look forward to hearing from you! Enjoy Vision Expo!

Britney

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Lol the finish quality on this edger explains the low price

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ok first...look at quality, then output (you dont want to lose the output your getting now, kappa and gamma edgers are reletively fast), and yes look at service and this one is important, think about it, if the company is #1 in service and support that means they get a ton of calls for service and support... ergo they get rated more. which means the equipment is typically crap, because it NEEDS more service than the rest. dont ask a sales rep anything, ask previous or current owners, youll get honesty instead of sales. look at independant tests (be sure the tests have not been sponsored by any manufacturers). I use a briot alta pro (thats what the lab had just bought before i started there) and after using a 7e, kappa, gamma, titan, weco, 7070, and a few others...im actually impressed (im not easily impressed at all, im the one who will do my best to find the flaws)..the unit i have is an all in one machine, im not at all happy with the slow output, however its not any slower than most other all in one machines. the tracer/blocker is the alta xl, soo simple to use, ive drilled a ton of holes and even milled out portions halfway through the lens (so i could fill with gold, paint, silver, and whatever else i could come up with that looks cool). bottem line is that we will all tell you what we like about our machines, so take our advice collectively, pick the top 3 that you like and check out the independant study on the units, youll end up with a machine that youll love for years to come!

and since were talking about all these fancy new machines, has anyone had any experience with Mr. Blue yet? how is the quality, accuracy, output, and reliability?
    equal opportunity offender!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gogetter View Post
    We'll be looking to purchase a new edger at Vision Expo in Sept (VEGAS).
    So what did you get at EXPO and why?????

Thread Information