Thread: Shooting Glasses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Shooting Glasses

I need to make a shooting glasses for my customer.
    He has a pair of ray bans and Randolphs.
    What is the best material to use ( i would imagine Poly), AR?,
    What brand of the lenses will give a better quality vision in this case?
    Does it pay to go with a more expensive Poly? ( i usualy use the low cost Lighten up lenses from Nassau Lens)
    Any sugestions are welcome
    I realy want to make a nice pair for this guy!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    hello Lenny,

the subject threads about Trivex may be of interest to you in this situation ----- check them out, some very very good info posted about the specific gravity, optics, strength etc.

this Optiboard has enabled our industry to share a vast array of knowledge ----- thank you steve & staff for all the hard work ---- great concept !

B

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Lenny, most of our "shooting-glass" clients over the years were very particular about the lens color; i.e. some liked amber lenses, some liked amythest colors, etc. so a lot depends on what type of shooting they'll be doing...if someone came in today, I'd probaly go right to the new Porsche Design goggle styles with interchangable lenses. i'd use a high-quality poly, that is tintable, like airwear...there is also some consideration in shooters about where to put the "vertical" OC's....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember Shooting glasses are mostly to filter the light and glare for the shooter, not to keep bullets and peices of his exploding firearm out of his eye. Small powder particles maybe, but trivex, poly and whatever don't reall stop real projectiles of substance.

Use tempered Autumn Gold Glass, it filters out the haze, and filters out some of the brightness later in the day. Hunters like this as they can see better in the very early and very late day and it helps as a sunglass in the middle of the day.

Chip,

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Lenny,

I've been shooting both competitively and just for fun for many years (although not recently). When I had my dispensing optical company I had a large number of customers who were shooters, and I learned (sometimes the hard way) that there are a number of options for your shooting customers. First, I'll have to disagree with Chip (sorry Chip, but it's the first time I've disagreed with you!), and recommend that you use polycarb lenses. Here's what I've fit for myself and many of my customers:

For skeet shooting, I have a pair of clear with AR and a pair of gray 3 polarized; OC heights are "normal".

For trap shooting, I do the same but with the OC's approx 4+ mm higher than normal.

For pistol and rifle, I use my skeet shooter glasses. I have a pair with yellow lenses for paper target shooting, but don't use them a great deal.

All of the above are in the same frame: the B&L Outdoorsman, 62mm eye size.

My Rx is approx -1.50 OU, so you may want to go to a smaller size if your customer wears over a +/- 2.00.

Incidentally, I use the same set-up as the skeet specs for fly fishing, but am sad to say those now have a substantial add so I can see to tie the $#%&! fly on the leader!

Hope this helps.

Larry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So
    No poly?
    How about crown glass then for better vision?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb shooting glasses

I,m going to have to agree with Chip on this one, as he stated shooting glasses are not meant to stop bullets and the likes.
    .....Unfortunately, this is what sometimes happens when customers have unreal expectations of what the product is meant to do.
    .....Being an avid shooter who has probably at one time or another shot just about every type of rifle and pistol available, i have not found glass lenses to be any problem.
    .....Shooting glasses such as the B&L kalichrome were meant to enhance vision and thats what they do. Any number of times i have had a shell casing from an automatic weapon hit the glasses, but i dont believe any shell casing by the time it reaches the lens has enough impact to do any damage.
    .....For many years i worked for B&L and we made these large goggles in glass without a problem and this was back in the days before heat treating or chem treating was even required. I think if this was a problem we would have been the first ones to know about it.
    .....The bottom line is ustomers need to be informed about what there buying and what the product will do or not do.

Thread Information