Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't labs call?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Why don't labs call?

:angry:

I requested a 3.25 base curve OU on a progressive with AR. First time I received the jab no AR and wrong base curve. I re-ordered the job. I got it back today.... WRONG BASE CURVE. I called to find out why I got a 4.5 BC and the response....
    Lab:"The lens only comes in a 2 and a 4"
    me:"Why didn't I get a phone call to make the choice"
    Lab: "That Rx only comes in a 4 BC"
    me: "Why didn't someone call me to tell me?"
    Lab: "People who choose this lens normally don't like to change to a different lens"

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO! Only Google knows that much about me!

I called them back and said, "I will be sending you these lenses for a full credit."
    Lab: Would you like us to remake these lenses for you?
    Me: No, your services will no longer be needed for this job. Please note on my account to call me every time something isn't what I specify.

I don't know if I will be sending them anymore orders....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, I think that labs do the very best they can to be responsive. However, why would you order a base curve that isn't available? Do you not know how to read a BC chart? Our lab processes about 2,000 jobs a day. That's a lot of phone calls to ECP's with no interest in acquiring product knowledge. The lab isn't the only one at fault in this instance.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cause every ECP knows:

If it aint formatted for input on the "Rx"....IT DON'T MATTER, and doesn't affect vision (?!)

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @curious so if you can't get something an ECP requests, its okay to use something else? I do admit that for this product I do not have a base curve chart. I am wrong for that. I agree, but my other lab calls me before changing, substituting anything.

@barry am I reading correctly that you are saying in this case, the base curves don't matter?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No. I'm saying that labs don't prioritze Base curve requests...because they're not written on the prescription, so "they don't matter"...right?

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahh okay. Sorry for miss reading that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for a lab for many years and my biggest complaint was getting the customer service people to call accounts when something was not right. Iguess they don't want to be the one's to give the bad news........but that really is no excuse. If you are a lab doing 2000 jobs a day you should have the appropriate number of cust. service people to handle all phone calls. It's a never ending battle and one I can see both sides of.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe that our lab has the best customer service department in the industry. Having started my career as one of the "girls" in a wholesale lab, making and receiving those phone calls, I have a great appreciation and understanding of the difficulty of the job. The next time you (not you specifically, but the all encompassing you) hurl invective at a CS rep, think twice. They're people trying to do an often difficult and stressful job. Threats and insults are rarely as effective as civil conversation.

Bookmark www.thelensguru.com. Base curve charts all over the place.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Threats and insults are rarely as effective as civil conversation.
    There was no threat or insult. Just frustration due to the fact that I lost a patient. The fact that the job had to be remade once and I brought up the BC at that point and nothing was said then... was frustrating.

I am just trying to vent and not get angry with the lab rep b/c I do understand its a difficult job.

I think of myself as Tom Smykowski, and the Lab as the engineers....

What you do in Initech? "I deal with *** **** customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills, I am good in dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the **** is wrong with you, people?

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/office...HUOo2WRVSJz0SV

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    No. I'm saying that labs don't prioritze Base curve requests...because they're not written on the prescription, so "they don't matter"...right?

B
    At my lab, we do our best to over-communicate with our accounts to avoid these types of situations. Nobody likes having to rework a job! I am surprised to see that labs have not prioritized base curve requests, if an account has a specific request it should be included. The only exception is when something really bizarre pops up and then it should be verified, but not disregarded. I will admit however, each account is different and sometimes we irritate accounts when we call them about something they feel was "obvious what they want" while another account is grateful we checked. I would rather be on the side of caution though and always make the call.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would consult the chart before ordering if its progressive.
    If its a SV or FT that is available from different vendors on different base curves I would expect the call from the lab.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny story.... We sent the sunglass job(for the same PT) to a different lab(VSP) and confirmed the BC. The invoice was correct and we received the incorrect BC and sent it back. I received it today and the OS was correct. ordered a 3.5 and received a 4 but the OD was a 4.5.... We are going to dispense it even though it is out of tolerance but it just seems to be the job that hates the optician. The one that wants it goes in the crapper, It stays in the crapper....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We call those jobs unicorns... the jobs that you order and god forbid everything you want somehow goes awry. I wish you the best of luck working all of this out and know that you are not alone. Thankfully I usually only get one of these at a time. =)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Everyone has the occasional Jinx Job.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you specify a base curve, I think you should at least know which curves are available to choose from. What was the problem using the lens cut on the 4.5BC?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    What was the problem using the lens cut on the 4.5BC?
    Tolerance on a Base Curve "when specified" is 0.75D.

I have also stated that I was wrong in not having a base curve chart so I don't disagree with that but its the labs job to quality check before sending it to me and when I specify something it is not the labs job to "assume".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    Tolerance on a Base Curve "when specified" is 0.75D".
    Good thing its time to revisit ANSI. It's so last century!

Think: 2/3rds Prism diopter horizontal tolerance....applied to a wrap job!

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Good thing its time to revisit ANSI. It's so last century!

Think: 2/3rds Prism diopter horizontal tolerance....applied to a wrap job!

B
    Then what would you consider Tolerance on +1.25-2.75x100 requesting a 3.25 BC?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tolerance on a Base Curve "when specified" is 0.75D.

I have also stated that I was wrong in not having a base curve chart so I don't disagree with that but its the labs job to quality check before sending it to me and when I specify something it is not the labs job to "assume".
    My question is, did you specify the same BC as the lens selection chart would indicate for this rx? Was this a high minus job with a steep back curve on the 4BC blank? I'm curious what the rx is for this patient? I didn't mean to beat a dead horse with the "do you know the BC's offered" comment.
    Cheers-kevin

Why don't you let people at your lab choose the best BC for the rx? The only time I specify an rx is when it rides the line between 6 and 8 and I don't want to go steeper on the patient. I'm not trying to bust on you, just wondering why you don't let the lab choose the BC?

Why would anyone surface a +1.25 sphere power on a 3.25 BC?
    Last edited by KStraker; 07-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I requested a 3.25 BC. Later I found out that it comes in a 2.50 and a 4.50. They were sending me a 4.50 reading at 5.
    The Rx is
    +1.25-2.75x100
    +0.25-1.75x52
    2.25 Add

They don't offer a 3.25 BC for the specific lens, but I didn't get an option to change to a different lens.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I requested a 3.25 BC. Later I found out that it comes in a 2.50 and a 4.50. They were sending me a 4.50 reading at 5.
    The Rx is
    +1.25-2.75x100
    +0.25-1.75x52
    2.25 Add

They don't offer a 3.25 BC for the specific lens, but I didn't get an option to change to a different lens.
    I'm still wondering why you requested a 3.25 FBC on that Rx. That Rx falls in the 5.5-6.5 FBC range - on a 3.25 FBC lens your back curves are far too flat for decent optics. I agree with KStraker - unless the Rx falls between a FBC range I generally allow the lab to select the best FBC based on the Rx and frame choice. If you're trying to match BC to a previous pair IMO you're doing your patient a disservice. Get your patient on the proper BC - the 4.5 would have been a great choice. Then next year put your patient on a 5.5 FBC like that Rx specifies.

Occupation
    Alas, there are always two sides to every story...the lab I work hired a customer service rep whose only job is to call key accounts in the Southeast. What she and I found was that in surprising amount of calls to these accounts, she or I were not able to talk to the key person directly and had to leave a message with a co-worker. Sometimes, these messages disappeared, because we were constantly accused of NOT making calls...
    Many accounts do not like faxes sent about jobs but at least there is a paper trail...

Occupation
    Most times when ANSI is revisited, the standards drop.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rosemary at Luzerene I'm sure lives to call me with with questions like-

Will a 5mm steppe on the 61 eye wrap sunglass be ok?
    The 1.6 glass lens broke a second time
    Or the one that drives me crazy!!! "On the written job you sent us-- what's the add?"
    LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW!!!

Seriously- They should call but as was pointed out a 2BC was way to flat so the 4 was the only logical choice imo.

P.S. I wouldn't have Rosemary's job (or one like it) for all the tea in China! Oh- Wait a sec-- I do!
    But it pays better

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why I appreciate our customer service staff:

1. My first job in optical was at New City (when they were in downtown Norfolk), taking orders over the phone...no fax, no computer...just the phone.
    2. They get yelled at every day and still come in to work and do an incredibly good job.

So here's to good CS reps every where! Thanks for not telling us how you really feel. Thanks for coming in everyday and doing the very best job that you can.

Thread Information