Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: suggestions

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Paula & Wlmart:
    Has it occurred to you that if the good doctor gave his exams and the Rx in hand you could own your own dispensary located nearby, and get financing for it too?

Hate to see opticians actually defend practioner's unethical practices and defend circumventing the law.

Chip
    Hi Chip, I had my own dispensary- 15 years of hard work 60 hour weeks, missing my kids growing up, ended up in bankruptcy court. Have to say looking back over it, many factors, the great recession, and my slow response to it. A few bad decisions and poof out of business. I might at some point do it again, of course will be some time before my credit is anything other than a negative number.
    I much prefered doing my own thing, and wish I still could, but right now I am stuck trying to improve my employers bottom line so I can stay gainfully employed.
    I would never ask him to break the law, I think he should continue giving the rx to the patient as required. what I am looking for is some ethical, suggestions to help me get more patients into the optical.
    It is not against the law for him to own a dispensary. it is however not very business savy of him to think that he can just open the doors and make money. The staff on the medical side does not in any way participate in getting patients into the dispensary, the techs, the OD the check out staff all act as if I am on some far away planet and can't even be bothered pretending to care if the patients walk with their rx or not. I just wish I could get the patients to stop in and look around, talk to me, see that our prices are pretty good and that I am a very nice, friendly talented optician that will jump through hoops to make them glasses that they are happy with. I need some creative ideas to get the patients to walk in my door and look around.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you friendly with the other staff? Do you spend a few minutes talking with them in the morning? Have you tried talking with them about the problem?

Maybe you could say something to the check out people, that they could suggest to the patient to take a look at the optical. They could say something like you're having a sale, they should check out the prices. Or that the optical has recently been updated, they should take a look. Or that there is a great new optician who is very talented. Or that you just got some sharp new frames in.

If that won't work, could you wander into the waiting room and strike up some conversations with the patients while they are waiting? I used to work next to a MD and I remember all the patients had their eyes dilated and couldn't see when they left. Maybe if you could offer to adjust their glasses or ask them if they wanted to see some of the great new frames you just got in, before their exam.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rx "hand-offs" are. in my mind, akin to the derivitive market: Subject to abuse.

Period.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If that won't work, could you wander into the waiting room and strike up some conversations with the patients while they are waiting? I used to work next to a MD and I remember all the patients had their eyes dilated and couldn't see when they left. Maybe if you could offer to adjust their glasses or ask them if they wanted to see some of the great new frames you just got in, before their exam.
    I do this, and with great success. Simply walk up to them, thank them for coming in, and ask them, since they are waiting, if you could take a few moments to clean and 'tune up' their glasses. Do a pretty good job, tighten the screws, maybe pop out the lenses and clean out the gunk next to the bevel, perhaps even change out the nosepads. 90% of the time, they'll comment "Wow! This is great! how much do I owe you?" And in response, I might say "Well, how about a handshake.. and a promise to come back and see us when you need something" (or if it's a cutie, replace "handshake" with "smile" ;)

Many people that have intended to leave, have stayed, and remained patients in our office for many years. Maybe it works better in our office since the suburbanites here aren't used to getting premium treatment in other offices (*** read "chains")

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This entire discussion is centered around the *difference* in Rx as the prime engine for eyewear purchasing.

If you truly believe that, then the internet has already sealed your doom. And you've learned NOTHING in all the discussions here and in the magazines about how eyewear can enhance your appearance and vision in so many ways.

Go ahead. Capture that Rx. See if I care.

I already know my clients feelings...AND THEY DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL!
    If their ECP attempts to do this, or embarass them when they walk out, they often will chane doctors. So much for the benefits of flaunting the spirit of the law.

BTW, I see nothing unethical is prescribing and dispensing in the same office. As long as the Rx release law is followed.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My biggest problem concerning release laws are how some offices hide behind HIPAA and require the patient to either come back for a copy or sign a faxed *release form*. I would like someone to point out where ( in HIPAA ) opticians were not continuing the care of the patient. No release form is required.

I also have patients that change doctors just over this. And it's the majority that do too. IMHO you're pretty desperate if you hide behind HIPAA and one year expirations.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    24/7 We even have doctors that charge $25.00 for putting the Rx in writing after getting the Hippa release signed.

Guess they think they are rock or sports stars and the signature is valuable as a historic momento.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have not seen any ophthalmo owned dispensaries in Canada there is a law prohibiting such ventures.

However my cardiologist does not like me doing my blood test's at the hospital where it is free of charge (included in medicare) but wants me to go to the privately owned lab in the same building and it cost's me $ 250.00 for the same.
    not true, many ophthalmologists in Canada dispense.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-15-2013 at 01:06 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    have the docter give them some kinda discount coupons with thier rx $100 dollers off second pair free or 30%

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you really see no conflict of interest in the prescriber selling the prescribed product?
    Do you really think education makes one honorable?

Chip[/QUOTE]

No, I see no conflict. And I'm the kind of person that thinks it's unethical to charge a POF fee. I feel that our patients are here to SEE better. They see the doctors, then they need glasses or contacts. They come here to get both, usually. They don't have to, but it's here if they need it. I don't understand how this is an ethical dilemma. Pretty straight forward experience.
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Thread Information