Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Optical software available on the market?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Optical software available on the market?

Hey guys/gals,

So I've been doing some research on potential software for my store and can't seem to find anything that's half decent.

Can anyone recommend anything out there?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    www.ocuco.com

(shameless self-promotion)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any screen shots available? Couldn't find any on the website.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Check out My Vision Express. It has everything you could want to efficiently manage an optical: point of sale, inventory, patient management, marketing and recalls, electronic insurance billing, reports, and much more.

You can download a FREE, no-risk 30-day trial at our site http://myvisionexpress.com

We can also offer you a live online demo to show you all the great features.

Jorge Torres
    Sales Manager
    Insight Software, LLC
    http://myvisionexpress.com - Accelerate your practice!
    877-882-7456 Ext. 721
    Last edited by myvisionexpress; 07-13-2011 at 11:07 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not selling any software but I am currently using Compulink and I think its great. Its very easy to customize and the customer support/training is good also.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    I am not selling any software but I am currently using Compulink and I think its great. Its very easy to customize and the customer support/training is good also.
    You're joking, right?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tried myvisionexpress, I did not think it was worth while. My staff really did not like it

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you looking for a complete software for exams and eyewear/inventory? Or are you looking just for the eyewear/inventory/ portion of your store?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have yet to encounter ANY software designed well for a shop like mine, where:

There is no doctor, therefore no refraction nor recall
    There is no insurance, therefore receivables are non-existent
    There is a great need for storing lab / fabrication/ ordering information...in detail
    There is a need for detailed client visual and product preference information.

How about it coders: stop running into the line of scrimmage with the same old, and start talking to shops like mine that are off the main sequence of needs.

B

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Barry Quickbooks can handle all of that with a some custom modules. Intuit has a number of third party providers that can create custom modules to your needs.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Acuity Logic

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I have yet to encounter ANY software designed well for a shop like mine, where:

There is no doctor, therefore no refraction nor recall
    There is no insurance, therefore receivables are non-existent
    There is a great need for storing lab / fabrication/ ordering information...in detail
    There is a need for detailed client visual and product preference information.

How about it coders: stop running into the line of scrimmage with the same old, and start talking to shops like mine that are off the main sequence of needs.

B
    It's called excel with attachments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Barry Quickbooks can handle all of that with a some custom modules. Intuit has a number of third party providers that can create custom modules to your needs.
    Actually Quickbooks POS does a nice job and can even do recall.. Barry, you don't do recall? 6 mod its time for your tune up and 12 month it's time to see your optician for your new eyeglasses letters? What about thank you cards, birthday cards. Its all about repeatedly putting your name in front of your client.. of course you already know that so I'm preaching to the choir.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    www.ocuco.com

tks and i'm also interested in the optical software

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    www.ocuco.com

Interesting product, I may need to look at this going forward. the Web demo is built for a european optician, how does the software port to the US?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Customary practices as well as legal requirements vary from country to country, so we spend a lot of effort customizing our practice management software for the various markets we're in. That process has begun for the U.S. We're presently deploying our first system in Canada.

If you'll send me a private message with your contact info I'll have someone contact you.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    That, or gatorbait works for compustink! LOL.

I have used this for several months now - it's abysmal... enough so that it could bring your business down around a mass of blank screens.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    You're joking, right?
    That or gatorbait is an employee/salesstaff for Compustink.
    I have worked with them now for several months.
    Abysmal.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OddOD View Post
    That or gatorbait is an employee/salesstaff for Compustink.
    I have worked with them now for several months.
    Abysmal.
    I don't work for them. I went from paper to compulink and it was very easy for me to learn. However I am starting to get tired of all the new executables and the new POS is a POS!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    I don't work for them. I went from paper to compulink and it was very easy for me to learn. However I am starting to get tired of all the new executables and the new POS is a POS!
    It is..
    I went to print out a chart to release yesterday - it cut the whole left margin off. Could not fix it, neither could tech support.
    No cut/copy paste
    It will allow impossible Rx's - I accidentally wrote +500D instead of +0.50. And it printed out the Rx.
    The CL window is a complete joke - I have to painstakingly enter all parameters manually.
    The graphic for drawing lesions (with a mouse) is laughable. Good though if you have a spare 20 mins to mess around clicking and dropping.
    The Topcon AR and NCT will not interface with it - despite Compustink's promise that it would do.
    No interface with my Topcon retinal imaging.
    The Matrix will not interface either - though CZMeditech can be a pain for that too.

Basically, I have to nuture this system along making sure it is happy. Along with the staff whom have all shown considerable tolerance to this.
    (I guess I will have to throw quite some Christmas party this tear)

Don't even get me started about patients preappointing on-line!
    Or the cash handling (misshandling)

I would have stuck to pen and paper in hindsight.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am late to party. I had same issue a few years back. They were working with paper and pencil while trying to reconcile insurances, lab orders, etc. It took me about 2 weeks to research and interview companies. I found a wonderful gem in Crystal PM. It is an independent, community based (meaning you can make requests for features via a forum of users and they show up in the releases and updates) company that is a set rate regardless of the amount of workstations in office. They have great tech support and really care about your ideas.
    I had to google search and found them and a few other not so great no name companies about 17 pages into my search. I have worked with Officemate, Compulink, Myvision Express, etc. all too pricey or not functional. None cared about your opinion or input in fixing an issue you would think to make better.

Having said this, I am still working on them for a report-able cost of goods and the ability to add a TRUE lab cost to the frame order but it is easy to set up and use. Frames and contact sales are easily report-able.

There was a cloud based system that had an obnoxious GUI with WAY too many colors that could be used for a few bucks a month. Spreadsheets and google is your best friend in this. Decide what you need and want your software to do, make a list of companies and start the calls. I am glad I did...I wish I had saved it to share for you. Some, like Compulink and myvision express were over 40,000 and each computer needed it's own ridiculously expensive license. This is why I loved this gem. I am working with Luddites and forcing them to get a computer system at all was a hassle. One they thank me for, daily, in the end!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vaderkty,
    I actually use MY Vision Express where I work and it's a great software. We are a 2 doctor busy practice that takes all vision plans and has an optical. We paid around $6,500 for the complete system and I can install on as many computers as I like. I think it's great you found a system that works for you as we have done with My Vision Express for us but before you start rattling off numbers make sure they're accurate as well as the info you post. We've recommend My Vision Express to many other practices and they also love it. The price point is great as is the service and the system in general.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by migsopt View Post
    Vaderkty,
    I actually use MY Vision Express where I work and it's a great software. We are a 2 doctor busy practice that takes all vision plans and has an optical. We paid around $6,500 for the complete system and I can install on as many computers as I like. I think it's great you found a system that works for you as we have done with My Vision Express for us but before you start rattling off numbers make sure they're accurate as well as the info you post. We've recommend My Vision Express to many other practices and they also love it. The price point is great as is the service and the system in general.
    I am sorry to imply the price point, it was the lack of adabtibility and other "add ons" that drove up the prce to not worth it for our store. I believe it was the electronic billing to auto calculate. I may have had a sales person mis quote be a price. I wrote and check boxed EVERY question and price including continuing cost for support on a yearly basis and it was out of the price point i was willing to spend. It may have improved since the search in 2012 but it did not win me over in the functions, user interface or ability to learn and set up quickly. I am happy you love it. I love what I chose. That is why there are different programs in the world.

I have noticed there are too many biased posts to this question. It would be nice to have it be filled with opticians using products instead of sales people talking you in to things...not a fan of that, either.

Crystal PM is amazing and less expensive than my vision express for upkeep and more user friendly, in my humble opinion...to which I am actually entitled to, as you are to yours.

This is also why I suggested you have a spreadsheet of the features you want for ANY software and see which one is right for you. I found one I liked that way. You may not find the same one but it is a good way to begin the search...which was ACTUALLY my whole point to the post. How I found the one i liked...not to but the one i bought but how to look for your needs the most efficient way possible.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kidklassic View Post
    Hey guys/gals,

So I've been doing some research on potential software for my store and can't seem to find anything that's half decent.

Can anyone recommend anything out there?
    What ever you do DO NOT go with My Vision Express. Horrible customer service!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I use an old system I have developed over the years and have never had the courage to take it to market, but I run my whole life on it from doing exams, rx orders, check writing, even payroll and tax forms. I've tried a few different programs with no luck so far and have been selected to try out eyefinity's new EHR at vsp HQ next wednesday. They want me to do an exam on someone using the new program, in front of them, giving feedback. I'm pretty excited about this and will definitely post an opinion here about it late wed. or thurs.

Thread Information