View Poll Results: Who was the greatest President?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • George Washington

1 4.17%
  • Thomas Jefferson

2 8.33%
  • Andrew Jackson

1 4.17%
  • Abraham Lincoln

4 16.67%
  • Ulysses Grant

0 0%
  • Woodrow Wilson

0 0%
  • Franklin Roosevelt

4 16.67%
  • Harry Truman

4 16.67%
  • Dwight Eisenhower

1 4.17%
  • John Kennedy

1 4.17%
  • Richard Nixon

0 0%
  • George Bush (the first one)

0 0%
  • Ronald Reagan

4 16.67%
  • Other (please elaborate)

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who was the greatest President?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Who was the greatest President?

Who do you consider the greatest President of all time? I have included some of my favorites (and some that aren't my favorites, but seem to be popular). Some of the choices may seem odd, but each of them have a certain claim to greatness, IMHO. There is also an "other" selection, and all I ask is that if you choose an "other," you elaborate on the who and why (after all, I'm STILL scratching my head about Timothy Dalton as the best 007).
    ;)
    I realize that there may not be many others who have any interest in politics... perhaps our British or Canadian friends could insert some discussion on either their observations (if any) concerning our Presidents- or their own favorite PMs.

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar

Tim's viewpoint

From this side of the World and from a very personal point of view.

Obviously not going to choose George Washington,
    there are some who say Kennedy would have been in all sorts of trouble if he hadn't been assisnated because of the deals with the Mafia et al.

I notice you haven't got Nixon on your list and yet he pulled the US out of Vietnam, began building bridges with China... Mind you he made the mistake of being caught the ultimate crime in politics.

Can't really comment on the older Presidents as all we have to go on is historical "truth" and that isn't that reliable.

To be honest I haven't a clue, aren't they all of their time, victims of circumstance like Bush junior with 9-11?

So that wasn't very helpful was it!

:D

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who made up this list, all liberals except George the first who at best was a psuedo conservative. Where's Teddy Roosevelt, Andy Jackson, and Ronnie Reagan?:finger:

Truman had cahonies, even if he was a Democrat.

And of course OUR greatest and only president was Jeff Davis.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 05-02-2002 at 02:30 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Tim has some good points

All these presidents have controversy following them as well as history changing events during their leadership. To weigh the impact of their presidency on the US as a whole, I based my vote on the creators of our Constitution, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights which each president since must defend. Jefferson was my choice for that reason.

:cheers: Jerry

ps Isn't it amazing how the people that we feel closest to were at one time at war with us? Gives you hope huh.
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    chip anderson said:
    Where's Teddy Roosevelt, Andy Jackson, and Ronnie Reagan?:finger:

Truman had cahonies, even if he was a Democrat.
    I agree that these men are worthy of consideration so I've added them to the list. Nice trying to slip Jeff Davis in there, but I think we'll stick to Presidents on the United States for the purpose of this poll. ;)

As for my choice, I'm going to have to give it some thought. Each of the great Presidents were men that also had great flaws. In the end, their 'greatness' is based on what each of us perceives a President should do and what we feel they have done.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Honest Abe

I'm voting for Abe Lincoln.

I believe that freeing the slaves is the most notable action.

: )

Laurie the liberal (politically, NOT personally!!)

: )

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lyndon Johnson

I came of age during the late 60's and therefore President Johnson is not my favorite President. He was as flawed as any other. However, he had the courage to shepherd through Congress and then sign into law the Civil Rights Act of 1964. That signature provided women and minorities in this country the opportunity to compete on a more level playing field with regard to education, employment and housing. Sometimes that simple act gets lost in the never-ending bitterness caused by our involvement in Vietnam.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Chip,
    I made up the list (and I consider myself a conservative). I gave consideration to the choices Steve added (especially Truman, he came to office in less than ideal circumstances, and made one of the toughest decisions ever made by a politician anywhere, anytime). In the end I wanted to keep the field narrow and let people vote for "other" (but now that they have been added, I will re-arrange the list to put them in "order" of their terms in office). BTW, I'm astounded that you consider Eisenhower a liberal (my favorite quote from the man was "Spend whatever it takes to defend us against the Communists- but not a dime more!")...

Laurie,
    It cheers my heart to see you have chosen the first Republican President (well, technically, he was the first Republican). I think Abe was one of the top three greats, because of his outright honesty (in fact, he was honest enough to admit that freeing the slaves was not so much a moral stance as a practical measure designed to give the North a cause and maintain the Union). Still, excellent choice my friend (I don't think you are a liberal- but if you insist you are in a "well sorta" kinda way, it just makes me feel better rounded knowing I have one more liberal friend!).

Jerry,
    I had to give it an extra night of thought, but I eventually voted for Jefferson as well (after all, the man did pen the founding document of Democracy). Without a doubt in my mind, the greatest President of the 20th century was the elder Bush. Not overly conservative, his only downfall was due to one of his greatest strengths- his ability to compromise. In my opinion, one of the greatest travesties of American history was his loss to Bill Clinton (thanks Ross, and you stupid Stupid STUPID Republicans that bailed out on this honorable, moderate Republican... if you are a Republican and voted for someone other than George Bush in 1988, look at yourself in the mirror and say "idiot!" for me 100 times).
    Judy,
    Notwithstanding some of the truly great things that happened as a result of the Civil Rights Act, I think the Johnson administration was one of the most fiscally, politically, and militarily disasterous in our country's history! Some of the programs put into place during his term have wasted (and continue to waste) more money than I care to think of. The only President I disdain more in this century would be FDR. My Grandfather, who I greatly admired, thought the world of both men and was a lifelong Democrat who worked in the Pentagon for 20+ years, btw.

As for the additions, Reagan was one of the best leaders our country has ever had- but he wasn't an outstanding President (IMHO, but that doesn't mean I didn't love having him there during my formative years... as I recall, he was the first President I voted for). Teddy Roosevelt was certainly an interesting character (and if you enjoy camping and hiking in our country's national parks, I can see why you would vote for him)- plus the man had the "gusto" to finish a campaign speech after having been shot!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't say I liked the guy. I view his action in that particular instance as an act of greatness in an otherwise miserable chapter in our history. I don't think there has been an administration that has not had it's share of mis-management if not out-right fraud.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Give 'em Hell..... you know who....

That's correct, Harry Truman is my favorite.He called them as he saw them, didn't back down in a fight and was an honest man.He was the last common man who has held that office.For futher insight I would refer you to Truman by David McCulloch and Plain Speaking by Merle Miller.I could go on ad infinitum but won't other than to say that Truman earned the genuine respect of Winston Churchill who originally thought Truman was not up to the job.The man was truly remarkable.

harry j

I forgot to say that he paid attention to detail.
    The younger sister of a friend of mine sent him a birthday card in 1952, because they shared the same birthday.She received a birthday card from him every year until his death.Quite a man, Republican or Democrat.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    Gorbachev? Yeltsin?

You didn't say which country!!

Seriously, I don't have enough knowledge of historical US presidents to give a fully balanced opinion. Got to say Reagon did a good job warming relations with the Ruskys at a time when the planet could have been turned into one big microwave.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Interesting footnote for Pete....

During his ill fated presidential campaign there was an assination attempt on Theodore Roosevelt.His eyeglass case stopped the bullet giving him a minor wound and allowing him to finish his speech.He lost the election!:(
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Judy,
    I understand what you are saying. I just have a particular distaste for the man, his politics, and most of his actions. To his credit, he didn't enter the office under the most ideal of circumstances either...

Harry,
    Your admiration wouldn't have anything to do with your common names, would it? Actually, I've read and watched biographies of Truman. As I recall, he didn't like McArthur one bit, and he was a straight shooter. He had very humble beginnings (in some ways, he was like U.S. Grant), and anyone who could plop a sign reading "The buck stops here!" in his office has to be of above-average character.

Do you ever suppose a "common man" will enter the White House again? I won't insult anyone's intelligence by trying to make the case that our current President is a "common man" (after all, he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and had a ticket to Yale, which is hardly common). I would opine, however, that he is more "common" than most people in the political areana these days. I definitely feel like "W" is in touch with my reality to a greater extent than any President after Truman has been!

Here's a twist on the original question (if we're ready for a twist... after all, Steve hasn't informed us of his choice yet). Of the people who have ran for President and failed, who do you feel would have been the best President? I'll have to really think about that one, but I'm guessing its not one of the recent "also-rans."
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation

Re: Interesting footnote for Pete....

hcjilson said:
    During his ill fated presidential campaign there was an assination attempt on Theodore Roosevelt.His eyeglass case stopped the bullet giving him a minor wound and allowing him to finish his speech.He lost the election!:(
    hj
    I wish I could find a glas case that would last the pressures of my day

Wahington should be admired for his heroics during the War of Independence

(A question: is the Baron Von Steuben regarded as a national hero?

Dwight D. Eisenhower for his efforts during ww2 and the D-Day landing,

Trumann for his doctrine's which helped many countries greatly after the war.

Kennedy for his hadling of the Cuban crisis(even after a muck up at the Start)

And an unusual one Clinton, He may not have done much apart from the obvious in the white house. But he sure as hell did a lot to help the peace process in Northern Ireland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IMHO, John McCain...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yes, I made mention of Theodore Roosevelt's shooting during his campaign speech. Actually, the speech itself also slowed the bullet (he joked that he was lucky it was a long speech).
    :)
    Baron von Steuben... He turned our ragamuffin militia into a bonifide armed force! As I recall, he had to get an assistant to help him curse at his soldiers in a language they could understand.
    Strangely enough, he also had to teach them how to do things as simple as the efficient reloading of a gun (which was a bit more complicated in the days of muskets and blackpowder).

I would wager that less than 5% of Americans would have any knowledge of the man if queried about his name, so the answer- sadly- is "No, Baron von Steuben is not widely recognized as a national hero."

I would venture that the most reknowned foreigner who participated on our side of the Revolutionary War would be The Marquis de Lafayette (there may be someone else I'm not thinking of, however), even though his contributions were arguably less than those of others- something about the name, I'm guessing. Not that they would know what his accomplishments were (he became a dear friend of Washington and probably was responsible for persuading Congress not to replace him as General of the Continental Army).
    You really feel Clinton furthered relations in Northern Ireland? I thought it was just a desperate last bid for a "legacy" on his part. Glad to hear his efforts had lasting results!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's give 'em he** Harry for me! I appreciate the fact that he didn't care what anyone thought and wasn't afraid to tell them so!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said:
    (if we're ready for a twist... after all, Steve hasn't informed us of his choice yet).
    Well there WAS Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States. I don't really understand how you could have left him off the list. After all he was President when the first flushing toilet was installed in the White House. With this one act, he did more to get rid of the **** in that place than anyone else. For this reason alone he deserves consideration as the greatest Prez of all time, and of course our eternal gratitude! ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, let's see:

Washington: The very model of the citizen soldier. But, also the very model of the theory that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Lincoln: Was driven by events more than he shaped them. If he had his way, he would have saved the Union and kept slavery if it would have ment no civil war.

LBJ: If the country had learned then what a mistake it was to elect southerners as presidents, we would have never had Clinton.

George HW Bush: May be remember in history more for his sons and giving rise to the Clinton administration than anything else.

George W. Bush: Let me know when HE actually does something.

Jefferson: No doubt the most learned man ever elected to any position in this country, with the possible exception of Wilson. But, his most important contributions came BEFORE he was president. Though I will give him the Louisanna purchase as a good one.

FDR: Great Wartime leader, but we are still paying, and I do mean paying, for his social programs that have long outlived their usefulness.

JFK: to quote Charlie Brown, a great potential is man's greatest burden. Bobby would have been a much better president.

Wilson: A great man with great ideas. But dreams die hard! Now, if he had been elected president 50 years later...........

RWR: OK, so he was by far my favorite. The model of how a CEO should run a company. And the company did very well under his leadership.

TEDDY ROOSEVELT: The difference between him and Jefferson, Teddy did most of his greatest deeds WHILE he was president. A great leader and statesman, he was the perfect symbol for America at that time in history...even if all he ever did was create the National Park System. As mush as I love Ronnie, Teddy was the best.

Honorable Mention: Harry Truman: Living proof that you can take any working class stiff of the street and he would be a better president than 90% of the men that have been elected to that post.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve Machol said:
    Well there WAS Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States. I don't really understand how you could have left him off the list. After all he was President when the first flushing toilet was installed in the White House. With this one act, he did more to get rid of the **** in that place than anyone else. For this reason alone he deserves consideration as the greatest Prez of all time, and of course our eternal gratitude! ;)

Good one, Steve! Spoken like a true liberal that you are!:D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Wow, its nice to know there's a few people out there who pay attention to history (as one great American said, "Our path is lit with the lamp of experience.")!

EyeMan,
    I concur with almost all your observations (except for, perhaps, G.H.W. Bush). Other than LBJ, FDR probably cost this country (financially) more than any other President (Reagan did his part to add to our bill too, but I believe he got much more return on his investment than FDR or LBJ did, (IMHO).

Judy,
    McCain as President... I'm tempted to think he'd have done a great job, but I have the sneaking suspicion he gets a bit too focused on his passions and loses sight of the "big picture" at times (I think G.H.W. Bush was extremely good at seeing the big picture, unfortunately, he sometimes lost sight of the moment at hand).

Steve,
    You want me to add Filmore? Come now, out with your pick! Time to take the plunge!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    cah2020 said:
    Good one, Steve! Spoken like a true liberal that you are!:D
    Actually I'm not a Liberal at all. Closer to libertarian (with a small 'l') than either Liberal or Conservative.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve Machol said:
    Actually I'm not a Liberal at all. Closer to libertarian (with a small 'l') than either Liberal or Conservative.

I looked up the definition and if this is the case I would think we all are:

"A person who advocates liberty, especially with regard to thought or conduct" (from my Webster's dictionary).
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Hail to the Chief among Chiefs!

Since Harry S. Truman seems to be ahead (and since 16 or so is the total tally of almost every poll), I suppose he is OptiBoard's Greatest President of All Time. Someone should probably write his family and inform them of this prestigious honor... In recognition of his post-mortem accomplishment, I will keep the "Harry S. Truman Presidential Seal Avatar" up for one week.

Concerning the definition of "liberal," I was surprised to find this definition of "Liberalism" in my Webster's:
    a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c : a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties
    Someone might want to inform Al Gore, Dick Gephart, and company of this definition! (Freedom from restraint, that's all I ask...) If that is really Liberalism, sign me up!

Concerning Steve- "I knew a liberal, that liberal was my friend, and Steve is no liberal!" (Thinking back to Lloyd Bentson's remarks during a debate with Dan Quayle in 1988...). Now, I'm pretty sure his wife is a liberal (just a tiny hunch). I don't think I'll ever delve into a political discussion with Marlena, because she'd probably argue her points so well that I would end up converting to the Democrat Party- and I don't think I could live with myself if that happened. My take on Steve is he would be happy to be a conservative if it weren't for all the conservatives (e.g., Newt Gingrich, Tom Delay, and company) that really annoy him (but, I could be wrong)!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Re: Hail to the Chief among Chiefs!

Pete Hanlin said:
    My take on Steve is he would be happy to be a conservative if it weren't for all the conservatives (e.g., Newt Gingrich, Tom Delay, and company) that really annoy him (but, I could be wrong)! :D
    Truth is I'm annoyed by anyone with a closed mind - Liberal or Conservative. I think Newt actually started out pretty good but in the end he became just another politician willing to sell his values (assuming he really had some to begin with) to the highest bidder.

As for Marlena, I think you'd be surprised. She's in favor of the death penalty, while I'm not. Also her views on gun control look like something that came out of an NRA pamphlet. :D

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information