Thread: Would you sell a drill mount frame to a 12 year old?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Would you sell a drill mount frame to a 12 year old?

12 year old girl. First time eyeglass wearer.

She has a tidy appearance -- tied shoes, clean and unwrinkled clothes, well-combed hair, clean face and hands.

She finds a drill mount frame and falls in love with it.

Would you sell it to her?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Of course........................

Quote Originally Posted by tdj View Post

Of course........................

A 12 years old does not have her own money nor power to make the decision, her parents do. If they think that she is careful enough to have something delicate, it is their decision to spend the money.
    Just make sure you do not give a unlimited warranty, buy only manufacturing defects.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may as well fess up, I sold it to her.

She looked very well-behaved, cooperative and tidy. The mom, after a lengthy discussion on the "cons" of kids with drillmounts, felt confident to make the decision to get them for her daughter (and did purchase an additional accidental breakage warranty) ... with A/R

Gorgeous thicker "lacy" metal temple design. Lilac color. Very "Laura Ashley girlie" if any of you remember what that meant

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would.
    I have.
    I would do it again.

The same features that make them great for adults make them great for kids also,

Poly or Trivex is a must.

At the same time I would not do one that requires any special lab process and that you can easily get parts for or even stock some parts for...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One might be smart enough to :
    1) Take a history of the patient's interest and activities
    2) Caution that these are not sports glasses suited for baseball and volley ball and the like.

Of course this might mean:
    1) The optician was taking too much time with the patients.
    2) Possibly selling a second pair of sports glasses to jock type females.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We fit a 9 yr. old young lady in a 3pc. also a 7 yr. old boy. It can be done as long as the parents are in.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We start putting them in drill-mounts at age 3+ and have never had anything but a happy family. We dispensed a custom rainbow pair of Lindberg Spirits yesterday to a 6 year old who has been coming to us since 2 years old. This is her 3rd drill-mount and she looks awesome in them. She custom designed them and could not stop smiling. She wears a ft trivex transitions and ordered a pair of swim goggles in pink for swim camp this summer. She is a +6.50 with a +2.00 add.

Why would anyone have an issue with putting kids in drill-mounts? I put my 3 year old niece in a T2 and my 8 yr old nephew in a Tag Heuer, they have nicer glasses than their teachers.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've done a higher plus in a drill for a four year old. It was nice because we were able to get no decentration and a round shape to keep the lenses thin. The grandparents footed the bill and were the driving force behind it, and the parents were very happy.

Besides, it's the parents fault when children aren't careful with stuff. Kids will be kids, but there's a big difference in abuse and accidents. It may take some time, but kids can be trained not to miss use their stuff.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My daughter has worn one in the past , But I don't "present" them to kids if the parents ask I show them a selection and explain the warranty one year one time if the parents are up for it then sure why not.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We try not to do it, based on the obvious....

However, we do have an 11 yo girl in a pair of Ogi (compression) drill mounts. Never have they come loose or broken, and she has had them for 2 years now.

Each case is different, however!

cheers!

:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You do realize the question here is : Children and young people in general live a more active lifestyle and are more likely to get hit in the face. The old "duty to warn" nonsence comes in here. People are more likely to sustain injury from the shattered, bent, detached or whatever frame than they are from the lens.
    Personaly I don't ever recall playing basketball with my glasses on that I didn't either get hit from the side and break the temple or get hit dead center and think my nose was broken. But then I was a lousy basketball player.
    Don't remember much of a problem in other sports, but I took the glasses off for football.

Chip

Trust me, if a child loses and eye or has damage from same, no matter what you told the patient, or parents is gonna save your behind.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-07-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: PS.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny, I thought the question was very clearly stated in the original post by tdj:

Would you sell a drill mount frame to a 12 year old?

She has a tidy appearance -- tied shoes, clean and unwrinkled clothes, well-combed hair, clean face and hands.

I don't see anything about sports, duty to warn, injury, lifestyle...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kid didn't play sports, FTR.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And let's not forget the parents who don't want to pay for rec spex, or any other protective eyewear. But they will take them on traveling teams, $300 bats, etc. Whatever their priority is, I guess...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think my point was: Children do things, like play games, some of which result in misshaps. The less stable the frame the greater the chance of a misshap resulting in damage. An just because a child isn't on the socker team doesn't mean he/she won't play. Of course, it's your a** on the line so you must make the choice between profit, customer happiness and liability. If it weren't questionable this thread would never have been posted.
    If we have wimps afraid of CR 39, we sho' should have some afraid of weak frames.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    certainly yes, why not.. but make sure fit on poly or trivex..
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    With a lens as strong as Trivex, that takes a lot of air out of the argument, since the remaining parts of the frames will behave much the same way as a regular metal frame when it gets hit. The nose pads will get spread out as will the temple or it will break. If the frame breaks, what would make it be more dangerous than a broken metal frame, say at the top of the bridge? Can anyone say they've not had any plastic or metal frame break from getting hit in the face by a basketball? Or you could use Kishimoto drill mount frames, of which we've sold hundreds and, believe it or not, still have one yet to break.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DragonLensmanWV: I was just logging on to put up a very similar post but you beat me to it.
    Well said!

This thread made me realize that I was making many assumptions that may not be valid.

We sell Silhouette and they are the only glasses that I wear. When I think of three-piece, I think flexible, light, strong, well made, simple... it never even crossed my mind that someone may be talking about a rigid nut-and-bolt mounting.

I am a competitive off-road duathlete and my glasses have been though every torture test imaginable and never given me a moments trouble.
    Heck, they are the only glasses allowed on space missions!

Thread Information