Thread: 1-800 Contacts Launches Online Eyeglass Sales Via New Site, Glasses.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

1-800 Contacts Launches Online Eyeglass Sales Via New Site, Glasses.com

DRAPER, Utah 1-800 Contacts - a pioneer in selling contact lenses first via the telephone, then over the Internet - last week launched a new website to sell prescription eyeglasses.

The new site, www.glasses.com, went live June 20. John Morgan, vice president and general manager of Glasses.com, told VMail the initial target customers for the site are 1-800 Contacts’ existing CL customer base. “We surveyed our customers, and a strong majority of them told us they wanted to buy eyeglasses online as well as contacts,” he said. “We also asked them how they’d like to do that, and what they said led to some of the features on our site.”

Morgan said 1-800 Contacts’ founder and chief executive officer, Jonathan Coons, acquired the Glasses.com site name 12 years ago and has held onto it, waiting until the time was right to launch an online eyeglass operation. Coons said the new site “will transform the customer experience and make the process of buying glasses easy, convenient and fun.”

And although parent 1-800 Contacts has an ongoing relationship with Walmart on the contact lens side of the business, Walmart is not involved in Glasses.com, Morgan noted.

Glasses.com sells only complete pairs of eyeglasses (“We're not in the business of selling components,” Morgan said). The site currently offers 11 women’s frame brands and eight men’s brands. Women’s eyewear brands are 7 For All Mankind, Arabella, Baby Phat, ECO, Jones New York, M+, Modo, Oakley, Paolo Visconti, Smith Optics and Tretorn. Men’s brands are 7 For All Mankind, ECO, M+, Modo, Oakley, Paolo Visconti, Phat Farm and Smith Optics.
    Lenses offered on the site are exclusively single-vision at this point, all in polycarbonate with AR coating. The lenses are supplied by Carl Zeiss Vision, whose lab network also does the site’s eyeglass production, according to Morgan.

The website includes a “virtual try-on” feature as well as a printable PD ruler, which consumers can use to take their own measurements. So far, no major problems have emerged with the self-measurement approach, said Morgan, who joined 1-800 Contacts 2½ years ago from the Boston Consulting Group to oversee business development. He said the site will add a progressive lens option when a few details are worked out, “including feeling comfortable that consumers can measure their seg heights accurately.”

Customers can transmit their eyeglass prescriptions to the company by scanning the prescription and emailing it to Glasses.com, faxing it, or providing the Rx over the phone via a new 1-800-GLASSES telephone number, used for both ordering and customer service.

Prices for women’s complete pairs on the site range from $89 to $325; for men’s eyeglasses, from $89 to $359. Shipping is free.

Glasses.com’s focus is on customer service, not price, Morgan told VMail. “We don’t intend to offer the lowest-priced glasses you can find,” he declared. “We’re interested in building brands, not eroding them.” That said, Morgan noted that if customers find a lower price online for the identical frame and lenses, Glasses.com will match that price.

The site also offers a 30-day “no questions asked” return policy, as well as a one-year frame warranty covering manufacturing defects and a 50 percent off a replacement pair in case glasses are damaged during the first year of ownership.
    What’s ahead for Glasses.com? In addition to adding progressive lenses down the road, Morgan said the company plans to expand its eyewear offering. “By the end of this year, we expect to double both our number of SKUs and our vendor roster,” he told VMail.

Plans also call for a consumer advertising campaign, initially to 1-800 Contacts’ current customer base, then to the general market. “We see a lot of growth potential out there,” Morgan declared.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Here we go again, another biggy going on line with glasses. At least you know who is making the lenses........Poly AR coated..............??????????

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Glasses.com is entering the market that FramesDirect is targeting now, as Glasses.com's prices are pretty much the same level as FD; While FD is sending people to Shanghai China earlier this year sourcing for reliable lab for making cheap glasses, and FD will launch this new site soon under separate domain name, and Essilor will help FD to locate reliable suppliers of frames and lenses. So FD will enter the market that Zenni and Firmoo are targeting now.

Glasses.com will mostly use email marketing to find its early customers among its present CL users. By keeping in the higher prices, Glasses.com can only grab small percentage of the market, but will affect independents' biz more than Zenni and Firmoo do.

More and more biggies are entering this market, and the competition will grow fiercer. Only those players with the best quality and price combination can finally stand out and stay in the business.

I personally do not think Glasses.com will finally stand out for some very tricky superstitious reasons. Remember News.com is not as famous as Yahoo and AOL, while Auction.com not as famous as eBay.com, and Books.com not as Amazon, Search.com is too far away from Google and Bing. Follow the same inference you will just find the answer.
    Last edited by Patrick888; 06-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glasses.com is wal-mart just to let you know.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here we go again, another biggy going on line with glasses. At least you know who is making the lenses........Poly AR coated..............??????????
    Essilor all the way...that's the way folks...keep supporting your direct vendor/competitor and thank them for stealing away your market share and eroding your business.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Does not matter whose it is.
    Last edited by Patrick888; 06-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure?? I dont think so....Glasses is the only way that wal-mart makes money! So I think it is only a matter of time that 1800 and wal-mart are no longer in business with each other!!

The reason they teamed up with 1800 is so that they would be able to get their customers in for glasses..........

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dioptical View Post
    Are you sure?? I dont think so....Glasses is the only way that wal-mart makes money! So I think it is only a matter of time that 1800 and wal-mart are no longer in business with each other!!

The reason they teamed up with 1800 is so that they would be able to get their customers in for glasses..........
    It was on the wire a couple of days ago. So yeah pretty sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Essilor all the way...that's the way folks...keep supporting your direct vendor/competitor and thank them for stealing away your market share and eroding your business.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand. They claim to use Zeiss lenses?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Registration..................................

Domain Name: GLASSES.COM
    Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
    Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
    Name Server: A.NODNSAVAILABLEFORTHIS.COM
    Name Server: B.NODNSAVAILABLEFORTHIS.COM
    Name Server: C.NODNSAVAILABLEFORTHIS.COM
    Name Server: D.NODNSAVAILABLEFORTHIS.COM
    Updated Date: 20-jul-2010
    Creation Date: 07-feb-1998
    Expiration Date: 23-nov-2013

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:27:57 UTC <<<

Please note: the owner of the domain name is specified in the "registrant" field.
    In most cases, the Registrar is not the owner of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-29-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Alliance with Wal-Mart.......................................

Origin

1-800 CONTACTS was founded in 1995 by Jonathan C. Coon and John F. Nichols, and first incorporated in February that year. As the company's 2005 10-K report states, "Mr. Nichols is a certified optician in the State of California and was the owner of the Discount Lens Club from 1991 until February 1995. Mr. Nichols worked with Bausch & Lomb as a Senior Sales Representative from 1989 to 1991."[1]

Brand awareness

By utilizing a toll-free number as its brand, a consumer can instantly recognize the product, be directed to call for a purchase, and buy a product within minutes. It was hoped that consumers would more easily remember the company's phone number, and thus be more likely to become repeat customers.[citation needed] This concept is also evidenced by 1-800-Flowers, as they reportedly purchased their telephone number from a company that was deeply in debt.[citation needed] 1800Contacts.com is also a domain name owned by the company in which a customer may order online. The combined toll-free number and matching domain is called a "Toll-Free Domain" or a "Teledotcom" and is considered one of the most valuable branding properties.[citation needed]

Alliance with Wal-Mart

In January 2008, 1-800 CONTACTS entered a long-term agreement with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to align their contact lens businesses.[citation needed]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-800_Contacts

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is glassesdirect the first online selling spectacle?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by agger View Post
    Is glassesdirect the first online selling spectacle?
    Not realy!;););)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder how this will affect the two evil empires? I can't see wallyworld liking this, unless they are going to be the supplier.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I personally do not think Glasses.com will finally stand out for some very tricky superstitious reasons. Remember News.com is not as famous as Yahoo and AOL, while Auction.com not as famous as eBay.com, and Books.com not as Amazon, Search.com is too far away from Google and Bing. Follow the same inference you will just find the answer."

Except that they already have a database of 40 gazillion customers to target market!

The same 40 gazillion that told them that they would buy their glasses on-line if they offered them...

Personally I find this pretty scary knowing the volume of our customers who purchase eyewear through us but use 1-800 for their contact lens purchases.

I would not underestimate the impact that might have or their ability to grab a serious, if not, majority share of the market.

IMO

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So much for Zeiss reaching out to take the Private guys who are mad at E/FramesDirect. I remember a two week period when I had 4 different folks from Zeiss in my office from the lens rep up to a VP. They were mad because FramesDirect had used their GT2 on the website.

Now, on Glasses you can upgrade to Teflon Elite for less than what I pay for it. And you can't put Teflon Elite on any other than Zeiss/Sola lenses. hmmmmmmm.....Interesting.

VISION EASE AND YOUNGER AND X-CEL: Please make a freeform product, and do it now (pretty please). VE, please get rid of your laminate. Thank you and God Bless America.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    oh, don't forget the webinar tomorrow from VSP about how they aren't "competing" with "independents" by offering "online glasses" and "costco."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What strikes me oddly in this thread is that nobody finds a "printable PD ruler" mentioned in the article of importance?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    "Glasses.com’s focus is on customer service, not price, Morgan told VMail."

In our office our emphasis on Patient service includes fitting the glasses, lifetime frame adjustments and helping the patients with anything they need to maximize their vision potential.

Their focus is on customer service??? I think not, we all know what their FOCUS really is. :finger:
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PD ruler.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	7851 Here is your printable PD ruler freshly copied on-line

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    [I]"I would not underestimate the impact that might have or their ability to grab a serious, if not, majority share of the market.

IMO
    If you've done your job properly, and conveyed your "added-value", this suggested dip in sales will prove temporary.

B

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Wink Not

I suppose it was Zenni

Thread Information