Thread: is there a simple way to look up whether an optician is ABO certified?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

is there a simple way to look up whether an optician is ABO certified?

I'm ABO certified and licensed in California... but if I want to look up that information or see whether someone else is similarly qualified is there any way to do it? ie: if I want to see whether a Doctor is licensed I can just go to the medical board of california website and enter the information there, but doing a similar search for myself yields no results...

Thanks!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just so you don't feel like you're being ignored, I do not know any place that will give that information. Maybe from the ABO itself? Don't know why they wouldn't be able to release that info if you have a name to give them. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would you want to know? Want to make sure someone is qualified before you send them some work? Want to be able to bad-mouth them if they aren't ABO or licensed? Want to be able to turn them in to " authorties"? Want as a reference before you hire them?

Chip

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    I'm ABO certified and licensed in California... but if I want to look up that information or see whether someone else is similarly qualified is there any way to do it? ie: if I want to see whether a Doctor is licensed I can just go to the medical board of california website and enter the information there, but doing a similar search for myself yields no results...

Thanks!
    The only listing the California Medical Board has is a listing of RSLD's (Registered Spectacle Lens Dispensers). For just ABO certified you'll have to ask the ABO for a listing.
    Last edited by pezfaerie; 06-24-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Really really bad grammer
    Pez:D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's mostly because my office is hiring and the doctor (not me) wants to have a good idea of the candidate's qualifications... just thought it would be nice if there were a simple way of finding out this information. In any case, under her optometry license she could hire an optician who isn't ABO certified... but we just wanted to have another way of separating resumes and the like.

*shrug*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure, but maybe you could just call the ABO. They will tell you (or not). 800-296-1379.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If there is an official license involved there must be some readily available insuing agency one can get this from under the freedom of information act. Call whomever you got your license frome.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    ... but we just wanted to have another way of separating resumes and the like.

*shrug*
    This just occured to me: if an Optician is submitting a resume to you, and is ABO certified, it would be right there on the resume! I know I wouldn't leave that out when applying for a position. . .
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you would think so, but it's tough to say sometimes... i.e. most applicants say that they are opticians and write their work experience, but not whether they are licensed or certified. It's not a huge difference but /shrug.

Thread Information