Thread: Large frame eye sizes and high prescriptions.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Large frame eye sizes and high prescriptions.

Hi,

Looking into ordering some XXL frames from A&A. Have a few clients with higher prescriptions interested in the line (>-9.00) as well. Noticed most frames come in 2 sizes, ie. 55 or 57 eye size. Was wondering your opinion on whether to get the smaller or larger eye size for higher prescriptions, and whether the 2 mm or so difference will result in a significantly thicker/heavier lense? Or in other words, will the smaller size versions basically fit as well as the larger versions? Also, was wondering if you know off the top of your head any suitable frames for larger heads with smaller eye sizes but very bowed temples that help fit larger clients. Anyone have much experience putting a high prescription >-9.00 put into a larger frame around 57 A, 30 B size, how'd it turn out? Thanks.
    Last edited by rlocke234v2; 06-23-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rlocke234v2 View Post
    Also, was wondering if you know off the top of your head any suitable frames for larger heads with smaller eye sizes but very bowed temples that help fit larger clients. Thanks.
    Harley Davidson (by Viva) has some styles that would fit this need, and Izod (by Clearvision) has some extra-large models now. Hope that helps (a little, at least)!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Looking into ordering some XXL frames from A&A. Have a few clients with higher prescriptions interested in the line (>-9.00) as well. Noticed most frames come in 2 sizes, ie. 55 or 57 eye size. Was wondering your opinion on whether to get the smaller or larger eye size for higher prescriptions, and whether the 2 mm or so difference will result in a significantly thicker/heavier lense? Or in other words, will the smaller size versions basically fit as well as the larger versions? Also, was wondering if you know off the top of your head any suitable frames for larger heads with smaller eye sizes but very bowed temples that help fit larger clients. Anyone have much experience putting a high prescription >-9.00 put into a larger frame around 57 A, 30 B size, how'd it turn out? Thanks.
    Bow the temples yourself. Open the endpieces or file the temple ends (or a combination of both), bend the temples where appropriate (at or after the widest of the skull - usually at about the top of the ear - not before the widest point) to match the bone structure, and roll your own. Use temples a bit longer than usual, if available, to compensate for the shortening effect of the curvature. You can make the smaller size fit; can you make the customer like the appearance of the smaller size?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The bigger eye size definitely looks more proportional, but it may come down to a tradeoff between stye and comfort, as it does not make sense to put very high prescriptions into >55 eye sizes.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Large Frames.......................................

The bigger eye size definitely looks more proportional, but it may come down to a tradeoff between stye and comfort, as it does not make sense to put very high prescriptions into >55 eye sizes.

Being a geriatric optician who was around for a while I remember the beginning of the 1970s when large frames became pupular and we had no plastic lenses, it was all glass.

People wanted big, they paid extra money for oversize lenses and did not mind the weight.

Like for the many years the small frames and lenses have dominated where millions of poeple are wearing progressive lenses with no or very little near seg, the oversize large frames have some advantage.

They are on the way for a comeback.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Be sure to use an excellent material like 1.70 for your high myopes, rather than a crappy material 1.67 or 1.74. The terrible ABBE value of the thinner lenses compromise the optical clarity those high myopes want, and that 1.70 can give them.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I disagree. We're talking about a modest size difference, not 5 sizes or something. If the 57 is better on the face, use it. It will cost you about 1mm in edge thickness in 1.70 material. Better an edge 1mm thicker than a frame that looks too small. By the way, in saying the larger size looks better, you are allowing for the minification of the minus lenses and the cutout effect where the lens edge overlaps the edge of the face, right?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    disagree. We're talking about a modest size difference, not 5 sizes or something. If the 57 is better on the face, use it. It will cost you about 1mm in edge thickness in 1.70 material.
    Well the B measurement is larger as well by 2 or 3 mm. The main issue is I find most 55 frames are borderline suitable for larger customers, and still tend to often have the effect of looking like kid's glasses on these adults.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Be sure to use an excellent material like 1.70 for your high myopes, rather than a crappy material 1.67 or 1.74. The terrible ABBE value of the thinner lenses compromise the optical clarity those high myopes want, and that 1.70 can give them.
    Dragon, I have noted your many posts regarding your affection for 1.70 material. I have about zero luck with 1.67 so I have decided to listen to your wisdom and try 1.70. I am curious tho if there is a particular vendor(s) you prefer. I noticed that Eyefinity/VSP only has their suspicious "Any 1.70 material - lab choice" and Nulux, but I don't know who produces NuLux and I'm not sure anyone knows who makes 'lab choice'. I didn't have great luck on the one I got thru VSP but, in retrospect, I don't feel I had a good candidate. I know Vision-Ease has Thindex 1.70 and HOYA has one as well. There may be others. Got a fav?

-Tony

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Dragon, I have noted your many posts regarding your affection for 1.70 material. I have about zero luck with 1.67 so I have decided to listen to your wisdom and try 1.70. I am curious tho if there is a particular vendor(s) you prefer. I noticed that Eyefinity/VSP only has their suspicious "Any 1.70 material - lab choice" and Nulux, but I don't know who produces NuLux and I'm not sure anyone knows who makes 'lab choice'. I didn't have great luck on the one I got thru VSP but, in retrospect, I don't feel I had a good candidate. I know Vision-Ease has Thindex 1.70 and HOYA has one as well. There may be others. Got a fav?

-Tony
    I have had excellent results with the Hoya 1.70, I use it a lot.
    Recently, I was forced to use VSP Sacramento for a job, and they refused to drill 1.70. I'm wearing a drilled Hoya 1.70, I've never had a problem with that combo. Why would VSP lab decline a job other labs can do? A lesser version of the material? I don't know.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    Why would VSP lab decline a job other labs can do?
    I suppose I'll get scolded for being mean, but that Sacramento lab sucks. Besides the fact that I don't get a 'choice' of where to send orders on those particular members, they just are simply bad at what they do.

Thank you for the insight on the 1.70 tho; I've got a HOYA account so can go that route for sure.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can also get 1.70 (1.71) from Polycore in single vision. That's what I use. Hoya is the bomb when it comes to 1.70 progressives.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    HI,Dragonlensman....u mean 1.7 index got better abbe value than 1.67 or 1.74?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by agger View Post
    HI,Dragonlensman....u mean 1.7 index got better abbe value than 1.67 or 1.74?
    Yes indeed it does. 36 vs 32.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are going to stock 55/57 ish sizes. I'd order mostly 55. Even the average prescriptions will look thick in a 55 eye. Most definitely put the big guys with high minus (-9.00) in the 55 eye! You can make the glasses "Bow" as you called it yourself to fit the wider head. To add the bow, at the front left & right corners of the frame, bring the temples out, then add curve to the straight temple to bring the curve back in. I got really good at this when I was on a mission trip & all the frames were too small, but by doing this adjustment, I was able to make them fit rather well! I'll send you a pic if you'd like showing exactly how to do this adjustment. They don't teach this adjustment in school.

Back to ordering, if you order say 10 of these larger eye sizes, I'd make 8 of them 55 & 2/ 57. Something like that. At most, 7 /55 & 3 /57 eyes.

Small lenses to fit big heads. See if you can find the Lanvin 2212 or 1284. Yes, they are discontinued, but they are totally what you are asking for. They are super well made (so you shouldn't have to worry about warranty issues) & if you can get them at a discontinued price, then go for it! I've had these 2 models for a while, but they will sell eventually. If you have someone with a specific need for such a frame, then once again, let me know & I'll send you a pic. If it's what you're looking for, I would part with mine, but only for what I have invested in them.

Another, yes discontinued line has small lenses for big heads. If there are any still available snatch 'em up, & let me know, I may want a few. They're called "Big & Tall" I bet there are still some out there! Once again, well made, never seen one broken, so warranty should not be an issue.
    Last edited by eyechick1969; 07-12-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    ...and roll your own.
    Uuhhh. What was the question again dude?:D
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    haha! Yeah, right? Good question!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    Uuhhh. What was the question again dude?:D
    Sorry, I was busy snacking on a jar of mayonnaise. It seems like it took a long time.

Thread Information