View Poll Results: Do you strip AR coatings in office ................

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because I want to provide full service

10 43.48%
  • No, I want to sell new lenses to patient

3 13.04%
  • When patient buys new glasses I offer to strip old ones and tint them as sunglasses

2 8.70%
  • No I want to sell them new sunglasses

0 0%
  • Yes, Stripping AR coatings is easy and profitable

3 13.04%
  • No, I am afraid to handle the chemicals

6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you strip defective AR coatings ???????????????

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper only 42% of the votes have chosen to strip AR ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by VTC View Post

I was not knowing it was possible to "strip" A.R. !!!
    I have never heard that before I read this discussion !

The technology of A.R. is so complex that I wonder how it's possible without destroy the lens !

Vic, you live and work in Lion France, the capital of the best cantaloupes in Europe. However your professional religion in France is directed by the allmighty Essilor.
    They have at some point decided that AR coatings should not be stripped by retailers and the subject just never came up for official discussion.

On the North American Continent, opticians as you can see in this thread and the poll above, only 42% of the votes have chosen to strip AR and therefore are willing to correct a problem for people who wish to do so.

However the technology of stripping the coatings has also advanced big time as today all AR coatings can be removed in seconds without danger to materials and human skin or life.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This should have two post! Rep to Chris!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Vincent, you live and work in Lyon France, the capital of the best cantaloupes in Europe. However your professional religion in France is directed by the allmighty Essilor.
    They have at some point decided that AR coatings should not be stripped by retailers and the subject just never came up for official discussion.

On the North American Continent, opticians as you can see in this thread and the poll above, only 42% of the votes have chosen to strip AR and therefore are willing to correct a problem for people who wish to do so.

However the technology of stripping the coatings has also advanced big time as today all AR coatings can be removed in seconds without danger to materials and human skin or life.
    I believe your are right with this method (to strip the A/R)
    But my opinion is not based on my relation with Essilor.
    I repeat that I have never heard about this technic (regardless of the manufacturer) and I add that I don't understand the goal of stripping the treatment.
    An 1.6 index white lenses has about 90% of transmission without A/R and more than 99% with !

For the cantaloupe (thank you for learning me this new english word !), the best one are coming a little more further south from Lyon, in area named Cavaillon ( 43°50'9.65"N 5° 2'11.80"E Google Earth !)

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I don't understand the goal of stripping the treatment.............................

I believe your are right with this method (to strip the A/R)

I repeat that I have never heard about this technic (regardless of the manufacturer) and

I add that I don't understand the goal of stripping the treatment.

On this side of the atlantic the coating laboratories give all a warranty, often full 100% on AR coatings. This may be for 1 or 2 years, so customers are covered.

However after that period when lenses scratch, delaminate partially, the coating xrazes because it was left on the dashboard of a car in summer, or any other reason, many consumers can not afford to buy new lenses. The USA has millions of people on un-employement and are loosing theyre houses as the banks are repossessing them.

As on plastic lenses there is a coating between the AR layer and the lens to promote the adhesion, most scratches are situated in that coating. When you strip that coating you will have a new unsrcatched surface, and the lenses can be re-used for decent period of time.

When they purchase a new pair, you can also strip them to tint them as sunglasses or just use as backup glasses.

(By the way we grow similar cantaloupes, just as good here in Quebec)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To strip.......or not to strip?

:D.........While stripping an old AR, might uncover some undesirable
    features of the underlying lens like deep scratches, and pits, and the highly reflective surface of a high-index base.....doing so is feasible. However, tinting the lens for sunglasses will enhance the deep scratches and pits, and only make them mildly useful.

I do it with great trepidation, and caution, and coaching about the undesirable effects.

Hey Chris! Yep....I have seen some really nice cantaloupes on Quebeckers.:p

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have to say, this is the cleanest discussion of stripping I have ever read. And the first without pictures.

OptiBoard Apprentice Jesseree1430's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by davelp View Post
    Wow! way to skew a poll! how about, no, because it's a bad practice. I don't tint their old non-ar lenses for a patient because THATS a bad practice too! with the scratches sucking up the tint and standing out like a sore thumb after you tint them, I have never had a patient say they were satisfied with the results. I'm assuming you're selling something.
    exactly...well said

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No need to assume. He is.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper you would know what you are talking about ...........................................

Originally Posted by davelp

Wow! way to skew a poll! how about, no, because it's a bad practice. I don't tint their old non-ar lenses for a patient because THATS a bad practice too! with the scratches sucking up the tint and standing out like a sore thumb after you tint them, I have never had a patient say they were satisfied with the results. I'm assuming you're selling something.

Uilleann
    No need to assume. He is.

.................and so are you guy's while making wrong statements. If you would know what you are talking about you would act different.

Scratches on AR coated lenses are to over 90% situated on the intermediate hardcoat between lens and AR coating. When stripping the AR you can also strip the hard coat and have a lens without any scratches, that looks as new as made yesterday. As there no scratches they can not suck up the dye, better ho back and learn.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Even though I do strip AR when asked, there are still ALWAYS scratches on the substrate. Thus, I never offer to tint them into sunglasses, because the results are rarely successful, and besides, polarized is better for sunglasses. Most people are happy to see through them at all. Most return to us for their next pair.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Even though I do strip AR when asked, there are still ALWAYS scratches on the substrate. Thus, I never offer to tint them into sunglasses, because the results are rarely successful, and besides, polarized is better for sunglasses. Most people are happy to see through them at all. Most return to us for their next pair.
    I have the same opinion !

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for saying what I was thinking when I read the poll.

Occupation

Blue Jumper above statement you made 4 days ago...............................

I repeat that I have never heard about this technic (regardless of the manufacturer) and I add that I don't understand the goal of stripping the treatment.

VIC..........., and today you allready have a made up opinion. Why don't you check into the matter a little deeper.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clearly we're all idiots, and have no idea how to stay in business without trying to strip AR from old damaged lenses. At least the 14 dispensers who have indicated they strip lenses will be a help to keep the week's numbers up - that's got to help business.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Clearly we're all idiots and have no idea how to stay in business ...................

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Clearly we're all idiots, and have no idea how to stay in business without trying to strip AR from old damaged lenses.

I really appreciate people who can rate themselves and even state it in writing for all others to see. If you agree with the "we're all idiots" or not, is ones own choice.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes Chris - we all get it. We know how 'the rest of us' rate. How's the air way up there?

Occupation

Blue Jumper hope to get some more votes on the subject....................................

Now that this matter is closed...................I want to keep this thread alive until the poll close and hope to get some more votes on the subject.

Occupation
    So far our poll indicates that not even half accept lenses to be stripped from old defective AR. No wonder that people have a hard time finding an optical shop to do it.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Now that this matter is closed...................I want to keep this thread alive until the poll close and hope to get some more votes on the subject.
    I couldn't vote in your poll because none of the choices matched what my answer would be. I used to strip AR coats but with the quality of AR we use now I never need to. I can't remember the last time I saw a bad AR coat.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I used to strip AR coats but with the quality of AR we use now I never need to.......

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

I couldn't vote in your poll because none of the choices matched what my answer would be. I used to strip AR coats but with the quality of AR we use now I never need to. I can't remember the last time I saw a bad AR coat.

There is a Forum for AR coaters, and they discuss the opposite........

PVD_coatings · PVD Coatings and Vacuum Technology FORUM .....http://bestdiscussiongroups.com/gr_PVD_coatings_p1.htm

Delamination of coatings on ophthalmologic lenses

Dear Colleagues:

I have as a consulting client an ophthalmologic lens manufacturer,
    who applies a dip-coating for anti-scratch protection, and over that
    a multi-layer e-beam evaporatored anti-reflection coating, onto
    plastic eyeglass lenses. Some small fraction (a few %) of the
    coatings are failing after several months of customer use. Mostly it
    appears that the anti-scratch coating is failing (and with it the AR
    coating which is on top of it), though in some cases it appears that
    the dip-coating is in tact, and the evaporated AR coating
    delaminates.

1) Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

2) Any suggestions?

3) Does anyone know of an accelerated test for coating adhesion
    applicable to plastic lenses?

Many thanks.
    Ray Boxman
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 07-01-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper A World First in Lens Coatings............................

I just fell upon an interesting article by Darryl Meister..........................

Teflon® EasyCare: A World First in Lens Coatings
    A WORLD FIRST IN LENS COATINGS - Sola Teflon

Occupation

Redhot Jumper E-mail received this morning..................................

Dear Chris Ryser,

I recently came across a post you made on optiboard.com regarding the removal of a scratched up anti reflective lens. I'd like to ask you for help on what product to use and how I can buy this product. My father has put a cheap AR coating on his eye glasses and it has gotten blurry and scratched. He has high index lenses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see on your website that the Anti-Reflex is what I should be looking into. However I do not see how to order this product. Thanks in advance for your help!

xxxxxx

PS: That's terrible how the lens coating companies threatened to sue you for "false advertising". It always amazes me how far these big companies will go if they feel that someone might tarnish their image.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No.

Occupation
    No what ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Occupation
    Optometrist
    sell a decent A/R, won't have to strip it....only the old coatings, and cheap coatings have issues.

Thread Information