Thread: I made this comparison the other day

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I made this comparison the other day

So I kinda cracked up the other day because I made a comparison that was kinda funny.

Now I know we all get this from time to time - the person, who believes that they (or their child) must wear glasses all the time, and since their glasses are broken/lost/eaten by a dog/whatever, they're wearing someone elses glasses or readers with a completely wrong Rx. You try to explain that what they are wearing is completely wrong for what they need, and they simply say "But I have to wear glasses, and something is better than nothing." (Which is kind of depressing when the parents have a child with a -8.00 OU in a +3.00 reader. - Which by the way is what prompted my comparison the other day.)

So after hearing the parents explain everything to me like I was slow for not understanding, I looked at them and said -

"That's like taking Imodium for a headache instead of Tylenol for a headache because they're both pills!"

The comparison kinda went over their head's because they didn't know what Imodium was, but everyone else in the office was amused.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    oh that is really funny!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sigh. What can you do?

That's a pretty good comeback, though. I do this all the time, but usually not in front of the patient. It's usually me telling another employee(s) about the nonsensical reasoning of a patient, so I can come up with some outlandish comparisons. It mostly makes me feel better. :D

They didn't know what Immodium is? I think I might have needed the Tylenol after that conversation.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ExLax would be funnier. The headache would suddenly become the least of your worries. :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good come back!

I've seen people wearing other people's glasses, too. Recently a mother told me that her daughter was wearing an old pair of her glasses since daughter's glasses had broken. I checked the prescription and PD and was surprised that they were almost right on for the daughter's RX. That doesn't happen too often.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great come-back!
    I came, I saw, I left

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Good come back!

I've seen people wearing other people's glasses, too. Recently a mother told me that her daughter was wearing an old pair of her glasses since daughter's glasses had broken. I checked the prescription and PD and was surprised that they were almost right on for the daughter's RX. That doesn't happen too often.

Ok that's weird I just had that happen too, I was all set to lecture and when I looked the Rx was pretty close, and I'm glad the mother was wearing the daughter's glasses to drive. But my discussion of the need for backup glasses fell on deaf ears.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes they just don understand, and to make them understand we have to talk at least 15 minutes. Tiring
    http://www.raybanmalaysia.com Original Wayfarers and Aviators detailed pictures.

Thread Information